Poll

Does your nearside rear seat click under pressure?

Yes
No
Pie!!!

Author Topic: 'Clicky' nearside rear passenger seat...  (Read 3501 times)

guest3148

'Clicky' nearside rear passenger seat...
« on: May 07, 2012, 11:59:43 PM »
OK peeps - got an unusual request  ;D  Our new Jazz SE registered in Sept 11 has an irritating fault, namely when I or another vertically challenged person sits in the rear nearside the seat makes a 'clicking' noise when pressure is applied or released (think acceleration/braking).  Now the garage have tracked it down to the seat catch but my point is that it's bugging life out of me and I would like it fixed.  Trouble is that this can be replicated on the other Jazz's at the garage and they don't know whether Honda will fix under waranty or not.  So can I ask you ladies and gentlemen to check your rear seats and see if yours clicks?  Other than this irritation the wife and I are very pleased with our purchase (so far)  ::)

Cheers

Al

Garyman

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2009 1.4 ES
Re: 'Clicky' nearside rear passenger seat...
« Reply #1 on: May 08, 2012, 08:50:17 AM »
interesting post.

Not sure if this is the same but we have a child seat in the rear passanger seat and whenever I have my son (2yr old) in the car, I keep hearing this clicking sound and its only there when hes in the car.

I believe it may be something to do with a strap or something hitting his car seat base but havent found the source of the noise yet but your problem could also be the same as what I'm experiencing.

Would be greatful if you could keep us posted.

Gary

chrisc

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2012 1.4 manual
« Reply #2 on: May 08, 2012, 02:17:05 PM »
There are 2 spring-loaded catches which engage when the seat is at rest.  The seat pivots on a shaft behind the bottom of the seat.  In your case, there is a 1-2mm gap between the inner "C" part of the catch and the bar it secures to.  When the seat is unoccupied, the tension of the frame is sufficient to press the bottom of this catch hard against the bar, but when someone is in the seat, the frame compresses slightly and this allows this catch to move about, producing the sound you hear

Unfortunately, this catch is embedded in the top of the seat but you can access the bar which is adjacent to the door edge, but behind a shaped plastic moulding which exends from the back of the car (visible when you open the door).  You can experiment with some dense foam (I'd say start off with a piece 5mm wide and 10mm long and stick this on the forward edge of the receptacle that the seat catch engages.  If you use a contact adhesive, you can easily take it off if you put too much on and have difficulty engaging the seat in the upright position

The root cause of this is because the seat tubular frame is a touch flimsy and alters shape when someone sits down.
If music be the food of love, play on

guest671

• Topic Starter
« Reply #3 on: May 08, 2012, 08:29:56 PM »
When I had this problem several months ago the garage knew straightaway what it was and put some tape round the offending catch. That cured it but they did say at the time they would chase Honda up for a more permanent fix as they had had several other people with the same problem. Since then I have heard nothing. Next time I pass the garage I shall pop in and ask them.

guest3333

• Topic Starter
« Reply #4 on: June 28, 2012, 04:22:45 PM »
Hi everyone
I bought a Jazz in July 2009 and still have this wretched click. The dealer has been out for a test run and came back saying they couldn't hear anything  >:( and the on the last service I mentioned it again and they had the rear bumper off saying the control box for the rear sensors I had fitted was loose!  >:(

I still have this click and a friend found out the problem as you have all mentioned on another forum for me. I have now told them in writing and along with another big issue it is going in next month. I have been driving around for months now with the vehicle resembling a van because the only way to stop it (btw I get it even if there is no passenger!) is to fold the seat down. I can only seat three in my car for a noise free ride!

Tags: