Author Topic: Engine Auto Start/Stop - 2017 Jazz 1.3L  (Read 6738 times)

Tauzero

• Registered Member
  • My Honda: Honda Jazz 2017 1.3L automatic
Engine Auto Start/Stop - 2017 Jazz 1.3L
« on: January 23, 2024, 03:55:00 PM »
Hello!

Short time lurker, new poster.

The battery in my wife’s ‘17 1.3L automatic died this morning. I went to a Honda dealer and based on the VIN, I purchased a replacement battery.

I asked the parts rep if this is a start/stop battery, as this Jazz has that option.

Side note : in the past it engaged fairly often but the last 1.5 years it has given the crossed out A-Battery icon and not worked. I figured this was due to the 7 year old battery (original!).

The rep told me that no, it is not a S/S battery and that there is no such item available for this model based on the VIN. He also said the original battery was also not a S/S one. Ok, I thought to myself, my mistake.

I installed the new battery and of course S/S didn’t work, gave the same crossed out A with the battery symbol.

I was under the impression that for a car with S/S, both the battery AND the starter were specifically designed to handle the increased start and stop duty cycle. Am I wrong on this? I would be very grateful for any kind of clarification on this issue. 

The original battery had what I assume is the part number of: 55B24L (S)-MF

The replacement is listed on the invoice as “Battery (55B24L) (MUTLU) (31500TEZG03)”.

The VIN number is

HertsHonda

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: Jazz EX I-VTEC CVT 2017
Re: Engine Auto Start/Stop - 2017 Jazz 1.3L
« Reply #1 on: January 23, 2024, 06:16:12 PM »

Refer to: https://clubjazz.org/forum/index.php?topic=16135.0

Think that battery is not suitable for Auto Idle Stop / Start, But I'm sure other Members will comment.
Batteries and Auto Idle Stop are popular subjects.
My AIS hasn't worked for 12 months. Vehicle (mk3 Jazz 2017) starts OK, even after standing outside in 7 days of cold weather!

ColinB

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2015 Jazz 1.3 SE manual in Milano Red
« Reply #2 on: January 24, 2024, 09:13:01 AM »
I asked the parts rep if this is a start/stop battery, as this Jazz has that option. ...

... The rep told me that no, it is not a S/S battery and that there is no such item available for this model based on the VIN. He also said the original battery was also not a S/S one. Ok, I thought to myself, my mistake.

I'm a bit perplexed at what your dealer is saying. Assuming your car is indeed a 2017 Mk3 Jazz (should be a GK VIN) then of course the battery should be a stop-start type. The only logic I can think of is that a previous owner replaced the OEM battery with a non-stop/start, and your dealer simply replaced that with a like-for-like. But he really should have known that was the wrong battery. Even with the wrong battery, you know that system works on your car because it has done in the past.

The stop-start system on these cars is very fickle; the handbook lists a huge number of factors that will inhibit it from working. One thing that is clear is that it needs an absolutely top-condition battery. Even a modest amount of normal age-related degradation will stop it working, even though that battery is capable of starting the car normally. A brand new fully charged battery should be good enough (if it's the wrong type, that'll probably result in premature battery failure rather than the system not working at all).

Steve_M

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2024 Jazz Crosstar e:HEV
« Reply #3 on: January 24, 2024, 10:25:13 AM »
It will depend on the grade of your car, there are 2 x 12 volt batteries that are fitted to 2017 Jazz CVT.

One battery is an EFB (N55) battery and the other is a 55B24L normal flooded battery.
It will depend if your car has the Idle stop capacitor because it is SE grade, or it requires an EFB battery as it uses the 12v battery for Idle Stop.

If your VIN starts JHMGK383 then you would have the idle stop capacitor and have a normal flooded 12v battery.

Hanszl2001

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: Honda Jazz MK3 Élégance 2018
« Reply #4 on: January 24, 2024, 10:29:26 AM »
My Honda mechanic says that there are 2 main reasons that the s/s system is not working properly.
The battery voltage is lower than 12.64 volts due to age and the start stop only works when the engine is at operating temperature.
This is to prevent premature damage to the crankshaft bearing shells.
The s/s system was actually developed to meet the emission requirements of urban use.
The only advantage with city driving is a 1 to 3% reduction in fuel consumption.

embee

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2018 Jazz SE CVT
« Reply #5 on: January 24, 2024, 08:25:16 PM »
I found the stop/start on my 2018 would/will only operate every time if I've done a decent run in the car. I'm doing 130ml trips every week at the moment and it is working no issues, but if I'm only doing relatively short infrequent trips is sometimes works sometimes doesn't. TBH I press the inhibit button every time I start the car if I remember.
I think Honda were far too conservative with the calibration. My 13yr old 1.33 Yaris has stop/start with a standard type 7yr old battery and that works faultlessly whenever I forget to switch it off.

jasonevans

• Approved Member
  • 1 Jazz and 1 Civic Type R - Life is good :-)
  • My Honda: 2017 Jazz 1.3 SE Auto in Orange :-)
« Reply #6 on: February 13, 2024, 05:03:52 PM »
My 2017 SE is stop start but I've noticed that if I have the Wifi turned on the eadunit then it really works as I assume the wifi  is zapping some voltage.  ( plus the battery may be a little week . ) it just says "AutoStop Start unavailible "..  I'm not really bothrered tbh as it's only put on for Euro Emmisions .

Tags:

anything