Author Topic: Does anyone keep their key fob in a faraday pouch as a theft deterent?  (Read 2173 times)

Happyarry

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: Jazz EX Navi i-vtec CVT
Being my first keyless entry vehicle, I bought a Faraday pouch each for me and the missus (who doesn't drive but carries spare in her handbag).

Do others take this precaution?

Harry

equaliser

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
  • My Honda: 2018 Honda Jazz 1.3 I-VTEC EX Navi CVT
Re: Does anyone keep their key fob in a faraday pouch as a theft deterent?
« Reply #1 on: October 11, 2020, 09:26:24 PM »
Yes, I keep both my fobs in separate pouches. Not sure why, who wants to take a Jazz when the street is full of German cars? Probably because the Jazz is the most likely to start!  :D

John Ratsey

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2022 HR-V Elegance
« Reply #2 on: October 11, 2020, 10:10:35 PM »
The key for the Mk 4 Jazz can be turned off by holding down both buttons for several seconds until a red LED flashes so I don't need a Faraday pouch. It may be worth checking if this feature is offered by the Mk 3 keys or perhaps Honda realised that they needed to address this security weakness.
2022 HR-V Elegance, previously 2020 Jazz Crosstar

ColinB

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2015 Jazz 1.3 SE manual in Milano Red
« Reply #3 on: October 11, 2020, 11:00:18 PM »
Being my first keyless entry vehicle, I bought a Faraday pouch each for me and the missus (who doesn't drive but carries spare in her handbag).

Excuse my ignorance, but surely if you keep the key in a pouch that screens radio waves, then the keyless entry won't work? I thought the whole point of keyless entry was that you didn't have to fumble around for the key. You now have to find the pouch from whichever pocket or bag it's in and remove the key in order for the car to unlock, which seems to destroy the convenience of the keyless system?

Happyarry

• Topic Starter
  • Approved Member
« Reply #4 on: October 12, 2020, 12:08:45 AM »

Excuse my ignorance, but surely if you keep the key in a pouch that screens radio waves, then the keyless entry won't work? I thought the whole point of keyless entry was that you didn't have to fumble around for the key. You now have to find the pouch from whichever pocket or bag it's in and remove the key in order for the car to unlock, which seems to destroy the convenience of the keyless system?

Good point, it is inconvenient in relation to the purpose of key less entry. As I say it's my first such car but I believe tech type thieves scan your key as you leave the vehicle and can detect up to many metres away in order to steal the details.
Having a pouch means you can take the fob from the pouch as you approach your car, to unlock and on leaving the car, lock and then put the key in the pouch leaving the thieves no time to clone..

For those with the car parked overnight on the drive, keeping the key safe in the pouch means it can't be cloned through a window pane or letter box.
Yes it's inconvenient and defeats the purpose but the flaw is there in the way the systems were made and we are stuck with it.
I agree with the above suggestion that being a Jazz we are less at risk than someone with a fancy motor. :D

Harry

culzean

• Approved Member
« Reply #5 on: October 12, 2020, 10:11:08 AM »
Yes, I keep both my fobs in separate pouches. Not sure why, who wants to take a Jazz when the street is full of German cars? Probably because the Jazz is the most likely to start!  :D

It is also the most likely to get them where they want to go..... German engineering sucks...

I read an article a while ago on an American site** on German motorbikes,  what it said was unless your bike is serviced at the right time they can be 'fragile' - meaning something is gonna fail or break - some people can afford the bikes but not the ongoing costs of ownership - probably the same with their cars which is why most German cars are company cars in UK.

** there was a comment on the site from a German contributor saying 'people often wonder what BMW stands for.  in Germany we say 'B M troubleyou....
Some people will only consider you an expert if they agree with your point of view or advice,  when you give them advice they don't like they consider you an idiot

Jocko

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
  • My Honda: Died from rust.
« Reply #6 on: October 12, 2020, 10:35:16 AM »
My brother has spent a fortune having his Beemers serviced and repaired. Lovely cars, though.

peteo48

• Approved Member
  • I have entered the Jazz Age
  • Fuel economy:
  • My Honda: 2021 Honda Jazz Mk4 1.5 i-MMD EX
« Reply #7 on: October 12, 2020, 12:15:21 PM »
My brother has spent a fortune having his Beemers serviced and repaired. Lovely cars, though.

I agree. That said, the one Beemer I had, a 318i built in 1992 but bought second hand by me in 1998, was faultless. There's an interesting debate about reliability. "Which" reports show a tendency for prestige cars in general to be unreliable (with the honourable exception of Lexus). This is due, in part, to their greater complexity.

But is reliability the key factor in buying a car? The entire Range Rover range is pants for reliability but they sell well and are sought after.

richardfrost

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: Black 2005 1.4 SE RIP
« Reply #8 on: October 12, 2020, 01:14:16 PM »
Back on topic, I keep my keys in a cage at home at the back of the house. The rest of the time it is just in my pocket. I think the likelihood of my keyless car being targeted when not at home and I am near it seems quite low. Unless they scan the signal when I am nearby, record it somehow and then follow me home. But the way these things work, I don't think a recording being played back somehow would work.

Happyarry

• Topic Starter
  • Approved Member
« Reply #9 on: October 12, 2020, 01:44:58 PM »
Back on topic, I keep my keys in a cage at home at the back of the house. The rest of the time it is just in my pocket. I think the likelihood of my keyless car being targeted when not at home and I am near it seems quite low. Unless they scan the signal when I am nearby, record it somehow and then follow me home. But the way these things work, I don't think a recording being played back somehow would work.

I think they work in pairs, so you could lock the car and as you walk away  someone follows you, transmits the signal to his crook mate standing near the car with a receiver. Apparently takes 30 seconds.

Harry

richardfrost

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: Black 2005 1.4 SE RIP
« Reply #10 on: October 12, 2020, 02:22:57 PM »

I think they work in pairs, so you could lock the car and as you walk away  someone follows you, transmits the signal to his crook mate standing near the car with a receiver. Apparently takes 30 seconds.

Harry

Hmm, OK. Well given I have barely done 1,000 miles since February these opportunities are few and far between. But this technology was never mature when it was launched and is really just a gimmick.

Even worse if you're a dog owner are slow opening power rear hatches. I would much rather have a traditional manual hatch or at least the option to do it manually.

plasma

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2023 mark 4
« Reply #11 on: October 12, 2020, 04:56:38 PM »

It is also the most likely to get them where they want to go..... German engineering sucks...

I read an article a while ago on an American site** on German motorbikes,  what it said was unless your bike is serviced at the right time they can be 'fragile' - meaning something is gonna fail or break - some people can afford the bikes but not the ongoing costs of ownership - probably the same with their cars which is why most German cars are company cars in UK.

** there was a comment on the site from a German contributor saying 'people often wonder what BMW stands for.  in Germany we say 'B M troubleyou....

Yes you are right, had 4 bmw bikes, had same problem with all of them (shaft),6 honda bikes all great.

Plasma

Riobinman

• Registered Member
  • My Honda: Jazz Mk3 EX 1.3 Manual
« Reply #12 on: October 27, 2020, 01:29:30 PM »
Yes, I have the Halford branded Velcro pouch.
There are 2 compartments, one is RFI open and the other RFI shielded.
This maybe a design feature, or shortcoming, but I use mine always in the shielded compartment and so far the car opens and starts, however the proximity to the car for operation is much reduced. Saves messing in pockets swapping the key to the open pouch.
Also, I keep the spare key fob with battery out, so it cannot respond if needed and doesn't waste the battery.
I try it out every few months, perchance it forgets it's identity.

Westy36

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy: Extremely good !!
  • My Honda: 2013 Jazz 1.4 ES Silver
« Reply #13 on: October 27, 2020, 07:16:13 PM »
who wants to take a Jazz when the street is full of German cars? Probably because the Jazz is the most likely to start!  :D

:D Funny

Seriously, what is the point of key less entry? Floored system with no benefit to anyone other than the criminals.

I'm glad to own a car that unlocks at just the touch of a button and only needs one key. Back in the day, it was different keys for the door, ingnition and fuel cap. Keyless entry is pointless progress. Remote central locking is enough tech.

Tags: