Author Topic: Spacesaver - predictable outcome?  (Read 227893 times)

aphybrid

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy: 54.46
  • My Honda: Jazz Crosstar Shiny Grey
Spacesaver - predictable outcome?
« on: November 20, 2023, 02:19:31 PM »
I carry one in rear nearside footwell (+jack) in a bag, rarely more than 2 in car. Peace of mind.

Jazzik

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
  • My Honda: Honda Jazz e:HEV EX(ecutive) 2021 - Premium Sunlight White Pearl, name: Miles (after Miles Davis)...
Re: Spacesaver - predictable outcome?
« Reply #1 on: November 20, 2023, 02:48:08 PM »
Without a spare wheel I'm not really worried. I've been driving without one for 2 years now. Drove around till then with one for 11 years and never needed it. It's been over 13½ years since I had my last puncture (so statistically, I'm close to having one again ;D).
When the time comes I have a phone number...
If nothing goes right, go left!

Kremmen

• Approved Member
  • Civinfo interloper
  • Fuel economy:
  • My Honda: MY22 Jazz EX
« Reply #2 on: November 20, 2023, 02:53:08 PM »
It'll be sods law that when you do get that puncture it'll be on an important journey where the delay is most inconvenient

Shame that the latest Jazz has no dedicated spot for a space saver, I'd have bought one
Let's be careful out there !

Nicksey

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy: 70 mpg
  • My Honda: Honda Jazz Hybrid EX Style
« Reply #3 on: November 20, 2023, 03:03:32 PM »
It'll be sods law that when you do get that puncture it'll be on an important journey where the delay is most inconvenient

Shame that the latest Jazz has no dedicated spot for a space saver, I'd have bought one

Not just the Jazz. My last 4 Renaults (Capturs/Clio never had a dedicated space anymore. Ditched to make the boot bigger. Just the repair set up neatly squashed in a space with the jack.

Jazzik

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
  • My Honda: Honda Jazz e:HEV EX(ecutive) 2021 - Premium Sunlight White Pearl, name: Miles (after Miles Davis)...
« Reply #4 on: November 20, 2023, 03:14:41 PM »
It'll be sods law that when you do get that puncture it'll be on an important journey where the delay is most inconvenient.

As retirees we have all the time and only very, very rarely really important appointments... ;D

madasafish

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 1.4 ES CVT -2012
« Reply #5 on: November 20, 2023, 03:37:53 PM »
Drive 2 years ago to a beekeeping exhibition. Parked in a covered site: old barn.
Came back to rear flat: cut by piece of steel across sidewall.. ,
Without a spare I would have been sunk: no chance of gunk repair and no Breakdown Service.

On my way with Space Saver in 30 mins; yes only 50mph but home easily..

I would never have no spare: intermittent punctures over decades of driving often occurred in difficult places with no phone signals ( or before mobiles)

Marco1979

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
  • My Honda: Honda Civic e:hev elegance 2024
« Reply #6 on: November 20, 2023, 05:39:57 PM »
I had a puncture in 2019 and 2021, so when driving longer distances I always put a jack and a winter wheel (or a summer wheel when going mid winter) in the booth. Better safe than sorry!

PS both punctures were on shorter drives: regular adding some air did bring me to either a tyre fitter or my dealer

CB72

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: Honda Jazz Hybrid EX
« Reply #7 on: November 20, 2023, 06:48:27 PM »
Quote from the AA:
Flat tyre? Our vans carry an innovative 'multi-fit' spare wheel, which fits up to 90% of cars. So even if you don't have a spare — or you have a double puncture — we can get you rolling.
I'm happy to use the AA to get me out of trouble.
Are you going to carry a spare battery, bulbs, toolkit etc.  ;D

olduser1

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: Jazz EX 2015 CVT Elite Pack
« Reply #8 on: November 21, 2023, 10:01:16 AM »
Always carry essential tools , best of all good length of galvanized wire, real pliers, test lamp and torch.
You are prepared and can come to the aid if others.

Westy36

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy: Extremely good !!
  • My Honda: 2013 Jazz 1.4 ES Silver
« Reply #9 on: November 21, 2023, 10:23:51 AM »
Last time I got a flat tyre, 1 mile from holiday destination. A speedy wheel change had me on my way. So much easier than waiting 90 mins for help.

"according to new research by the RAC, which found that just 3% of new car models sold in the UK have a spare wheel as standard."

https://cardealermagazine.co.uk/publish/car-makers-ditching-spare-wheels-to-meet-emissions-laws-leaving-more-drivers-stranded/293302

20kg saving for taking out the spare is hardly going to make a 2 tonne SUV any more eco friendly. Cost saving is all it is.

Jazzik

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
« Reply #10 on: November 21, 2023, 11:06:09 AM »
20kg saving for taking out the spare is hardly going to make a 2 tonne SUV any more eco friendly.

Our Jazz EX weighs only(?) 1.2 tonne (+ 4 kg.). That is without spare wheel, jack and wrench... :P

madasafish

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 1.4 ES CVT -2012
« Reply #11 on: November 21, 2023, 11:27:38 AM »
Quote from the AA:
Flat tyre? Our vans carry an innovative 'multi-fit' spare wheel, which fits up to 90% of cars. So even if you don't have a spare — or you have a double puncture — we can get you rolling.
I'm happy to use the AA to get me out of trouble.
Are you going to carry a spare battery, bulbs, toolkit etc.  ;D

Always carry a torch, gloves and small toolkit. You would be amazed at the basic problems that strand people: eg loose hoses. And a tow rope..  And jump leads: all in spare wheel well so no issues of space.

ColinB

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2015 Jazz 1.3 SE manual in Milano Red
« Reply #12 on: November 21, 2023, 12:01:57 PM »
Another angle on this topic is to consider whether you would really be happy and capable - as age takes it’s increasingly boring toll on one’s physical abilities  - to change a wheel at the side of the road. Especially at night or in the rain. Or at the side of a fast dual carriageway. Much better to put the hazards on, get away from the car, and make a phone call.

aphybrid

• Topic Starter
  • Approved Member
  • Fuel economy: 54.46
  • My Honda: Jazz Crosstar Shiny Grey
« Reply #13 on: November 21, 2023, 01:42:32 PM »
Another angle on this topic is to consider whether you would really be happy and capable - as age takes it’s increasingly boring toll on one’s physical abilities  - to change a wheel at the side of the road. Especially at night or in the rain. Or at the side of a fast dual carriageway. Much better to put the hazards on, get away from the car, and make a phone call.

????? presumptious or what, speak for yourself!!!!!!

ColinB

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2015 Jazz 1.3 SE manual in Milano Red
« Reply #14 on: November 21, 2023, 02:24:31 PM »
????? presumptious or what, speak for yourself!!!!!!

Correct. I wasn't presuming anything, and I was speaking for myself.

Tags:

anything