Author Topic: Honda UK's 2017 sales - now to end of Q1  (Read 6170 times)

Rory

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2009 1.4 EX Manual - gone to a family member. Still look after it, and a 2014 EX driven by daughter.
Honda UK's 2017 sales - now to end of Q1
« on: February 09, 2017, 10:17:33 PM »
Oh dear, still not getting any better.  In a slightly up market, Hondas sales were down 11%.

Where have they gone so badly wrong?
« Last Edit: April 05, 2017, 05:36:17 PM by Rory »

olduser1

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: Jazz EX 2015 CVT Elite Pack
Re: Honda UK's 2017 sales - now to end of Q1
« Reply #1 on: February 10, 2017, 11:27:13 AM »
The retail price v the competition, the growth of huge dealerships run by bean counters driven by daily weekly monthly Honda sales targets, need I go on?

peteo48

• Approved Member
  • I have entered the Jazz Age
  • Fuel economy:
  • My Honda: 2021 Honda Jazz Mk4 1.5 i-MMD EX
« Reply #2 on: February 10, 2017, 11:35:37 AM »
It's probably only part of the story but I am genuinely mystified by the lack of choice - engine wise - in the new Jazz. I can't think of any other manufacturer that does this - here's the engine - take it or leave it.

I would add a hybrid and a more sporty option.

John Ratsey

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2022 HR-V Elegance
« Reply #3 on: February 10, 2017, 01:00:49 PM »
Jazz - price high compared to alternatives and could benefit from a more potent, less frugal, engine to widen the appeal. Maybe the 1 L turbo engine could fill this gap but it isn't here yet.

HR-V - the Mexican factory primarily serves the US market and does European versions as a side line so supplies are not abundant which maybe why the price isn't as competitive as it could be. (If Trump slaps on his 40% tarriff then maybe Honda will be keener to sell greater numbers of the HR-V in Europe).

Civic - switching over to new model

CR-V - new model coming soon

Other Honda models - they aren't sold here!

Given the change in the VED on 1st April there could well be a small sales boom for those vehicles where the VED changes significantly but Honda will miss out on this.
2022 HR-V Elegance, previously 2020 Jazz Crosstar

guest1372

« Reply #4 on: February 10, 2017, 01:07:53 PM »
In a slightly up market, Hondas sales were down 11%.

https://www.smmt.co.uk/vehicle-data/car-registrations/
Honda 4010 registrations (2.66% market share, -11.28% change) but not so bad as Subaru 178 (0.10% s, -14.01% c) or Mazda 2827 (1.62% s, -33.96% c)!

Pre-reg will mess up these figures so probably best to look at quarters instead.
--
TG

[attachment deleted by admin]

Rory

• Topic Starter
  • Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2009 1.4 EX Manual - gone to a family member. Still look after it, and a 2014 EX driven by daughter.
« Reply #5 on: February 15, 2017, 02:05:30 PM »
Not sure what's going on with Mazda - they're usually very similar numbers to Honda but have dropped off recently.  Perhaps some model changes??

They have a well regarded dealer in our area (the kind that Honda used to have) so we see a lot of them locally.
« Last Edit: February 15, 2017, 02:07:25 PM by Rory »

RichardA

• Administrator
  • Approved Member
    • https://clubjazz.org
  • My Honda: 2007 1.4 i-DSi Sport manual
« Reply #6 on: February 19, 2017, 07:05:31 PM »
Not sure what's going on with Mazda - they're usually very similar numbers to Honda but have dropped off recently.  Perhaps some model changes??

They have a well regarded dealer in our area (the kind that Honda used to have) so we see a lot of them locally.

Odd because Mazda appear to have a far more active advertisement campaign than Honda and some good financial incentives on the 2 & 3 models. And I know it's anecdotal, but local a dealer selling Renault, Mazda & Seat from the same site recently binned the Seat franchise but kept Mazda (and Renault) after it was taken over by one of the big dealer groups.

Not surprised about Suzuki's figures, I see loads of the SX4 S-Cross models. And as for Kia...to think back 11 years ago when my dad purchased his first Kia, the dealer was based in a tiny two car showroom shared with Daihatsu in a small village!

15-20 years ago it would have been unthinkable not to see Peugeot, Citroen, Renault and maybe Fiat not in the top ten.

Rory

• Topic Starter
  • Approved Member
« Reply #7 on: April 05, 2017, 05:35:39 PM »
Well, things didn't improve - Honda UK ended the quarter just about 10% down on same period 2016.  Again, that's against the background of a market that was up overall.

Maybe we can blame the Civic changeover?   

I'm still amazed at how rare a sight HR-V is.
« Last Edit: April 05, 2017, 05:38:19 PM by Rory »

guest1372

« Reply #8 on: April 05, 2017, 10:22:25 PM »
The % change figures make more sense now, although still skewed at the low volume end.  What I find interesting is Vauxhall still outsells combined Peugeot/Citroen/DS which will become interesting over the next few years.
--
TG

guest5079

« Reply #9 on: April 06, 2017, 09:23:51 AM »
I am not an ardent follower of the facts and figures but I am afraid my experiences with both the Main Dealer and Honda themselves is not a good one. These are the people that can make and break a car no matter how good it is.
I wrote to Honda about a technical query not a complaint although it progressed to that, in my letter I wrote
The Jazz does not deserve the main dealer and manufacturer it is lumbered with.
I also wrote Mr Honda did not acquire his reputation on the total lack of interest now shown.
It is a decent little car but oh how it is let down by the suits. I think number crunchers just about sums it up.

guest4871

« Reply #10 on: April 06, 2017, 10:03:24 AM »
I am not an ardent follower of the facts and figures but I am afraid my experiences with both the Main Dealer and Honda themselves is not a good one. These are the people that can make and break a car no matter how good it is.
I wrote to Honda about a technical query not a complaint although it progressed to that, in my letter I wrote
The Jazz does not deserve the main dealer and manufacturer it is lumbered with.
I also wrote Mr Honda did not acquire his reputation on the total lack of interest now shown.
It is a decent little car but oh how it is let down by the suits. I think number crunchers just about sums it up.

I agree. However main dealers are also suffering from falling volumes which gives them little motivation for investment. The real responsibility for this lies with the leadership at Honda Europe ....and the Japanese who are prepared to tolerate such very poor performance.

madasafish

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 1.4 ES CVT -2012
« Reply #11 on: April 06, 2017, 11:29:48 AM »
Subaru and Honda are concentrating on US sales..(Especially Subaru). Makes sense with US continent based factories.

Honda look to have given up on Europe...as have Subaru..Manage decline by minimising variants and increasing prices... short term outlook to oblivion...

John Ratsey

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2022 HR-V Elegance
« Reply #12 on: April 06, 2017, 03:14:53 PM »
Maybe we can blame the Civic changeover?   

I'm still amazed at how rare a sight HR-V is.
I'm sure that the Civic changeover is a factor. Bad timing as far as the UK market is concerned but maybe not of consequence in the global picture.

I've read that the supplies of the HR-V are still rationed. Maybe Honda is prioritising shipping them from Mexico into the US while they still can although I suspect that the factory output might be falling short of expectations. And maybe some people are holding off a new Jazz because of the possibility that it might get the 1 litre turbo engine.

Honda dealers must be getting frustrated by the lack of product range which limits their ability to make money.

John
2022 HR-V Elegance, previously 2020 Jazz Crosstar

Rory

• Topic Starter
  • Approved Member
« Reply #13 on: April 06, 2017, 10:01:52 PM »
However main dealers are also suffering from falling volumes which gives them little motivation for investment.
It was voted the worst franchise to have by its dealers.   The Honda UK boss wasn't very happy with them!

I've no idea how the glass palace place that replaced the two excellent little dealers that we used to have, survives. 

guest5079

« Reply #14 on: April 07, 2017, 10:10:35 AM »
My apologies for continually banging on but in my experience, whilst the dealers might be having a hard time, the service they give to a customer actually reaps benefit if it is good. In my experience paying a premium price for  a 4yr old secondhand car should ensure the car is top notch. Brakes which they did do,after being prodded,  brake fluid not changed knowing it was well over its 3 yrs. I have been told these were gestures of good will. Fixings missing from the front bumper where it is fixed above the slam panel. Masking tape still stuck under the bonnet. Paint peeling after 3 mths ( we can sell you a touching in pen). What price the 2 yr warranty? Yes I know it's manufacturing defects but the paint is a poor repair  which the dealer admitted, so shouldn't this have some warranty?
All things that should have been seen and done prior to sale. Even if they didn't want to do the jobs until they knew it was sold there is absolutely no excuse for this. They argued about the air filter which was filthy and full of insects. I replaced it. The tyre gunge was out of date. None of this was expensive except the brakes. I am still suspicious of the MOT being 4 mths old when I bought the car, I suspect the brake business was a try on.
Then you try asking Honda UK for advice. Two ignored Emails and no reply to my last letter. All started over me asking them a technical question about the Cruise Control that Customer Services turned into a complaint. Which it wasn't. Perhaps if Customer Services????? read letters and took on board problems Honda might just recover some of it's Kudos.
A flash showroom with free coffees is NO substitute for customer satisfaction.
Perhaps my experience is unusual.

Tags: