Author Topic: Question on charging the battery  (Read 7046 times)

Happyarry

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: Jazz EX Navi i-vtec CVT
Question on charging the battery
« on: November 13, 2020, 03:41:27 PM »
My previous Skoda stop start was forever showing a low battery warning as I mostly do short drives . It was simple to put the battery on charge while in situ by coupling the charger to the live terminal then an earth point on the bodywork.

I've had no problem so far with my newly acquired Jazz but anticipate my battery will need charging at some point.

I have a CTEK CT5 stop/start digital battery charger.

I know the manual states the battery should be disconnected but is it possible to charge the battery without?

Disconnecting the battery will lose some settings but being an EX Navi I don't want to risk damaging any electronics by charging  in situ.

Harry

Kremmen

• Approved Member
  • Civinfo interloper
  • Fuel economy:
  • My Honda: MY22 Jazz EX
Re: Question on charging the battery
« Reply #1 on: November 13, 2020, 04:03:51 PM »
I know the Civic needs the battery to be connected all the time regardless of how you charge it for Stop/Start. I assume the Jazz is the same.

There is some sort of sensor and if you charge the battery off the car then the sensor doesn't pick this up and the S/S low battery warning  will be shown regardless of actually battery charge.

Over the last few years I've done very little mileage so I've charged my battery, in place, weekly, with a CTEK MX3.8 without issue, but mine isn't a S/S model.
Let's be careful out there !

AlanTR

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: Jazz Crosstar
« Reply #2 on: November 13, 2020, 04:15:45 PM »
Have a chat about it with a Honda service department person.

30 mins normal road driving should charge your battery or a similar amount of time idling on the drive. We've had our Jazz SE CVT for 4-1/2 years and it only does short trips about 95% of the time - never yet needed to use the battery charger.

Having said all that, I doubt that there is any risk of damage if you are using a modern good quality"smart" charger.

ColinB

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2015 Jazz 1.3 SE manual in Milano Red
« Reply #3 on: November 13, 2020, 04:28:24 PM »
There are other threads in this forum about battery charging, might be worth a quick search if you’re concerned.

Personally, I invested in a solar battery maintainer during the last lockdown which keeps the battery topped up and kept the stop/start working on my (very occasional) short trips.

guest4871

« Reply #4 on: November 13, 2020, 05:16:56 PM »
CTECK CT 5 Start Stop Safety Instructions

I cannot copy this off their website which is:

https://www.ctek.com/uk/products/car/ct5-start-stop-uk

so the item you need to read is:
 https://www.ctek.com/storage/9D2570E4DAF24461F7DE5F15C16177FB8D4235F6AB479A7E6F9665C90E5CB9B0/5a9a2657f2874bea9cb5e3aae1c46529/pdf/media/8b21a784759c4c96ac6f8367799a8f25/CT5_START_STOP-safetyinstruction-low-UK-EN.pdf

It states (two thirds down):

"Connect the charger to the battery's positive pole and then the negative pole. For batteries mounted inside a vehicle, connect the negative connection to the vehicle chassis [edit note: presumably to bypass any sensors or otherwise] remote from the fuel pipe. Then connect the charger to the mains supply."

To remove: reverse the process. (Disconnect mains - remove negative - remove positive).

Sounds to me like you can safely, in fact in your situation should, charge the battery in the car (following the instructions of course!).

Attached: CTEK Safety Instructions

[attachment deleted by admin]

culzean

• Approved Member
« Reply #5 on: November 13, 2020, 05:34:22 PM »
Have a chat about it with a Honda service department person.

30 mins normal road driving should charge your battery or a similar amount of time idling on the drive. We've had our Jazz SE CVT for 4-1/2 years and it only does short trips about 95% of the time - never yet needed to use the battery charger.

Having said all that, I doubt that there is any risk of damage if you are using a modern good quality"smart" charger.

Problem is even a half charged battery will start the engine, but keeping a lead acid battery below 80% charged will damage it.. it is ironic hat keeping a lithium ion battery ( as used in BEV )  above 80% charge will damage it..
Some people will only consider you an expert if they agree with your point of view or advice,  when you give them advice they don't like they consider you an idiot

Happyarry

• Topic Starter
  • Approved Member
« Reply #6 on: November 13, 2020, 06:17:48 PM »
Charging the Battery
Disconnect both battery cables to prevent damaging your vehicle’s electrical system.
Always disconnect the negative (-) cable first, and reconnect it last.

This is from P 523 of the owners manual which is what made me nervous about charging the battery still connected.

Harry.

culzean

• Approved Member
« Reply #7 on: November 13, 2020, 07:06:42 PM »
Charging the Battery
Disconnect both battery cables to prevent damaging your vehicle’s electrical system.
Always disconnect the negative (-) cable first, and reconnect it last.

This is from P 523 of the owners manual which is what made me nervous about charging the battery still connected.

Harry.

Normal 4r5e covering by people who write manuals... never taken leads off battery to charge a battery, in fact both our cars and motorbikes have fused leads permanently attached  to battery with an SAE plug accessible via rad grille on cars and sticking out under seat on bikes, can charge battery without unlocking car or lifting bonnet.. on stop start it is important to put negative lead of charger to bodywork and leave negative battery cable attached as this includes the current sensor ( mounted between body work and negative terminal of battery ) in circuit otherwise the fancy coulomb counting electronics on car do not know how much charge is going into battery - and even with a fully charged battery the electronics will not let stop start work.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/OptiMate-SAE-Weatherproof-Eyelet-Lead/dp/B0022ZZULK/ref=sr_1_2?dchild=1&m=A3T9QHDC3D3PK4&marketplaceID=A1F83G8C2ARO7P&qid=1605303678&refinements=p_4%3AOptimate&s=merchant-items&sr=1-2
« Last Edit: November 13, 2020, 09:42:36 PM by culzean »
Some people will only consider you an expert if they agree with your point of view or advice,  when you give them advice they don't like they consider you an idiot

Riobinman

• Registered Member
  • My Honda: Jazz Mk3 EX 1.3 Manual
« Reply #8 on: November 13, 2020, 07:30:14 PM »
The attached file describes how to recover a battery disabled Auto Idle stop fault and how to charge the battery in-situ.
I got it from this site and tried 3 times before I recovered the Auto -Idle stop functionality.
Page 3, section titled 'Special Battery Charging Treatment' and whilst it mentions a specific dealer charger, I used a AA branded conditioner connected as shown in the photos.
Incidentally, during first lockdown I charged direct onto the battery terminals and after that I had the Auto-Idle stop disabled. It did not recover even after driving over 100 miles until I found this method to try.
My battery remained fully connected throughout.

John Ratsey

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2022 HR-V Elegance
« Reply #9 on: November 14, 2020, 12:49:19 PM »
I've always charged the battery without disconnecting it from the vehicle. I had the problem on both the Mk 3 Jazz and the HR-V of the auto-stop frequently not working due to low battery - it didn't take many days of the vehicle not being used for the battery charge to drop below some threshold - and ended up giving the battery a charge before any significant trip. The dealer said the battery was fine.
2022 HR-V Elegance, previously 2020 Jazz Crosstar

Kremmen

• Approved Member
  • Civinfo interloper
  • Fuel economy:
« Reply #10 on: November 14, 2020, 02:42:07 PM »
Until recently, for the last 5 years I've only been doing about 900 miles a year so I've been charging weekly.

I've used the CTEK hardwire kit.

All I need to do is connect the plugs and switch on:

Hardwire kit permanently connected:

Plug:

Charger fitted to wall:

Never had a problem.

Happyarry

• Topic Starter
  • Approved Member
« Reply #11 on: November 14, 2020, 02:58:03 PM »
Until recently, for the last 5 years I've only been doing about 900 miles a year so I've been charging weekly.

I've used the CTEK hardwire kit.

All I need to do is connect the plugs and switch on:

Hardwire kit permanently connected:

Plug:

Charger fitted to wall:

Never had a problem.

Thanks for that, so it looks like you are hard wired to pos. and neg. on the battery rather than taking the neg to an earth on the car body?

Harry

Kremmen

• Approved Member
  • Civinfo interloper
  • Fuel economy:
« Reply #12 on: November 14, 2020, 03:54:41 PM »
Yes.

I have read that the car body is advised but as it all works I've left it alone.

equaliser

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
  • My Honda: 2018 Honda Jazz 1.3 I-VTEC EX Navi CVT
« Reply #13 on: November 14, 2020, 05:27:26 PM »
Yes.

I have read that the car body is advised but as it all works I've left it alone.

I didn't think the Civic 1.8 Auto had start/stop?

guest4871

« Reply #14 on: November 14, 2020, 07:25:00 PM »
Yes.

I do it as you do on a Mk2. I believe, IIRC, the CTEK has anti spark software.

However, the Safety Instructions do say:

"For batteries mounted inside a vehicle, connect the negative connection to the vehicle chassis remote from the fuel pipe".

With Stop/ Start, as stated in other posts , it must be connected to the chassis to bypass the charging sensor.

Can anyone point me to a good assessible chassis earthing point on a Mk2???

Tags: