Author Topic: Jazz 2015 ongoing misfire please HELP!  (Read 2388 times)

Jazzmeister

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: Mk I 2007 Honda Jazz 1.5 CVT
Re: Jazz 2015 ongoing misfire please HELP!
« Reply #15 on: October 12, 2020, 02:07:33 AM »

[/quote]
There is lots of information in Fitfreak-forums, but it's good to remember that they only have 1.5 liter engine in North-America. There are differences between GK Jazz 1.3 and 1.5 engines, although both are L-series DOHC i-VTEC engines. For example 1.3 uses Atkinson-cycle in low rpms but 1.5 not.
[/quote]
What is the Atkinson-cycle exactly?
Would it be in the 2012 1.3 engine?
Mk I 2007 Honda Jazz 1.5 CVT | Previous car - Mk II 2012 Honda Jazz 1.3 Cvt

TnTkr

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2019 GK5 Jazz 1.5 Dynamic 6MT
« Reply #16 on: October 12, 2020, 06:04:15 AM »
Honda L13B engine introduced to GK Jazzes use variable valve timing to run the engine in Atkinson cycle in low rpm to reduce fuel consumption but at the cost of performance. In Atkinson cycle the closing of intake valve is delayed in the beginning of the compression stroke creating virtually shorter compression stroke than expansion stroke, which improves thermal efficiency. In higher rpm the valve timing is changed for conventional Otto cycle for better performance.

I believe L13B engine was introduced to GK Jazz, so it is not in 2012 GE Jazz. 

culzean

• Approved Member
« Reply #17 on: October 12, 2020, 10:03:00 AM »

There is lots of information in Fitfreak-forums, but it's good to remember that they only have 1.5 liter engine in North-America. There are differences between GK Jazz 1.3 and 1.5 engines, although both are L-series DOHC i-VTEC engines. For example 1.3 uses Atkinson-cycle in low rpms but 1.5 not.
[/quote]
[/quote]

Atkinson cycle leaves the inlet valve open for a short time as the piston rises on the compression stroke, this allows some of the air in the cylinder to escape back into the inlet manifold,  this reduces the compression ratio of the engine, obviously reducing power,  the amount of fuel injected is also reduced meaning the air / fuel ratio which is normally something like 14.7:1 for full power can be as low as 40:1 or more.
« Last Edit: October 12, 2020, 10:12:44 AM by culzean »
Some people will only consider you an expert if they agree with your point of view or advice,  when you give them advice they don't like they consider you an idiot

jazzaro

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: GK3 Jazz 1.3 6m Elegance Navi grey.
« Reply #18 on: October 12, 2020, 02:38:51 PM »
As far I can remember, Honda Atkinson engines  are the L13B2 engine (from 2013 1.3 16v GK Jazz/Fit), LEB (2013 1.5  Fit Hybrid), LFA and LFB (2.0 Accord and CRV Hybrid) and some other engines coupled with I-MMD and I-DCD hybrid box. IMA hybrids should not have this kind of engine.
Atkinson cycle engines works with a compression time shorter than expansion time, so the engine saves energy since the compression time drags power. Originally sir Atkinson patented an engine where this feature came from a complex mechanical system (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Atkinson_Engine_with_Intake.gif), now all current  Atkinson engines basically are standard petrol engines using EIVC (Early Intake Valve Closing) or LIVC (Late Intake Valve Closing) strategies, so as to better their efficiency in some working ranges.
« Last Edit: October 13, 2020, 10:16:11 AM by jazzaro »

Tags:

anything