Author Topic: items on service declined  (Read 1909 times)

VicW

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 07 Plate Civic 1.8 i-Shift.
Re: items on service declined
« Reply #15 on: October 08, 2020, 02:16:42 PM »
Aircon is one of those systems that stays serviceable better if it is used rather than not. As many on here know an unused aircon system is more likely to suffer from gas leaks and seized compressors, this is due to the lubricant in the gas not being circulated. The lubricant is reason enough to have the system serviced every 2 or 3 years and I mean serviced not just regassed.
Yes that costs money but so does the rest of the car to run and the aircon has very obvious advantages throughout the year. As for getting rid of the smelly bacteria, you can do that yourself with gas canisters that are available.

Vic.

123Drive!

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: Honda Jazz 1.4 ES i-Shift
« Reply #16 on: October 08, 2020, 02:48:00 PM »
There's a price list for aircon servicing on this website. Not cheap - the antibac treatment is £40 on top of the regas, leak test and pollen filter change!
https://www.brayleys.co.uk/honda/servicing/air-conditioning

In the UK an aircon service every two years should suffice (my opinion), unless of course performance is poor due to loss of refrigerant. The pollen filter change is at 2 yearly intervals, so it makes sense to get the aircon service done at the same time. Says he, who has not had it done after 4-1/2 years! Better get it done next year!

My friend's Jazz had a service last month. His dealer wanted £52 to change the pollen filter. I brought a Fram Pollen filter for £3 and a Aircon bomb for another £5 from eurocarparts and showed him how to change it and sanitize the air con system.

TnTkr

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2019 GK5 Jazz 1.5 Dynamic 6MT
« Reply #17 on: October 08, 2020, 07:02:41 PM »
Aircon is one of those systems that stays serviceable better if it is used rather than not. As many on here know an unused aircon system is more likely to suffer from gas leaks and seized compressors, this is due to the lubricant in the gas not being circulated. The lubricant is reason enough to have the system serviced every 2 or 3 years and I mean serviced not just regassed.
I disagree.

Air-conditioning lubricant is not ageing or going anywhere if the system is not leaking. In a so called service the refrigerant and lubricant are evacuated from the system, filtered and refilled back after vacuuming the system. And possibly needed adding of either component. When the system is not leaking a service every 2-3 years is just profit-making for the shops.

Edit: I should add, that only small amount of the oil comes out when evacuating the system. Most of it remains in compressor and other lower parts.
« Last Edit: October 08, 2020, 08:47:02 PM by TnTkr »

Tags:

anything