Author Topic: Under engine plastic fixing screws honda jazz Mk3  (Read 5114 times)

Brian Merrick

• Registered Member
  • bmerrick52@yahoo.com
  • Fuel economy: always does more than 50 MPG
  • My Honda: Jazz Mk 3
Under engine plastic fixing screws honda jazz Mk3
« on: September 18, 2020, 07:53:27 PM »
Can't find any replacement screws for the rear of the under engine tray Mk three Jazz 1.3

Jazzmeister

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: Mk I 2007 Honda Jazz 1.5 CVT
Re: Under engine plastic fixing screws honda jazz Mk3
« Reply #1 on: September 19, 2020, 12:35:35 PM »
Honda should have them albeit at a price. If you have a branch of Wurth anywhere nearby they also sell a pretty big range of replacement automotive plastic trim mounting clips and screws.
« Last Edit: September 19, 2020, 04:07:27 PM by Jazzmeister »
Mk I 2007 Honda Jazz 1.5 CVT | Previous car - Mk II 2012 Honda Jazz 1.3 Cvt

culzean

• Approved Member
« Reply #2 on: September 19, 2020, 01:09:47 PM »
Can't find any replacement screws for the rear of the under engine tray Mk three Jazz 1.3

Are the screws a 'proper' thread - some call them 'machine screws' ( if so they are probably M5 = standard 5mm thread ) these often get used when undertray is fixed to something solid like a chassis member.  Or are they like a self tapper with like a woodscrew thread - these get used with a clip when the part is fixed to something else, like another plastic piece ( bumper moulding ) or a thin piece of bodywork, sometimes a plastic stud can be used with a pop-up centre section.  You can get a range of metric screws from B&Q Hardware section or screwfix etc.  They also sell self-tappers.  The only special thing about the undertray screws may be the larger diameter head to hold the plastic / aluminium - but you can also buy washers to fit normal screws.

or try something like this

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Metal-Engine-Bottom-Splashguard-Shield/dp/B07FNN9JF4/ref=sr_1_4?dchild=1&keywords=automotive+fasteners&qid=1600517351&sr=8-4

or this

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Blue-Spot-40532-170pce-Assortment/dp/B00UALIGS2/ref=pd_bxgy_img_2/261-0936679-5191157?_encoding=UTF8&pd_rd_i=B00UALIGS2&pd_rd_r=4b4eb7a3-26cf-4df0-a864-dd5ad8e95942&pd_rd_w=a2SoT&pd_rd_wg=6GdsG&pf_rd_p=dcf35746-0212-418b-a148-30395d107b2d&pf_rd_r=J84EKFZT2NCKMK2RMVVS&psc=1&refRID=J84EKFZT2NCKMK2RMVVS

It is useful to keep a selection of fixing bits around if you do your own repairs and servicing.
« Last Edit: September 19, 2020, 02:24:08 PM by culzean »
Some people will only consider you an expert if they agree with your point of view or advice,  when you give them advice they don't like they consider you an idiot

Roddy0000

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2017 Honda jazz my 3 CVT
« Reply #3 on: September 21, 2020, 07:17:16 PM »
had mine replaced under warranty, no issues with the parts

jazzaro

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: GK3 Jazz 1.3 6m Elegance Navi grey.
« Reply #4 on: September 22, 2020, 01:19:30 PM »
had mine replaced under warranty, no issues with the parts
Every two oil changes you probably will have to replace them, these black plastic clips are all but robust so it's easy to break them while removing.
« Last Edit: September 22, 2020, 02:41:18 PM by jazzaro »

John Ratsey

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2022 HR-V Elegance
« Reply #5 on: September 22, 2020, 03:39:30 PM »
I won't have this problem occurring on my Crosstar - Honda decided not to fit undertrays on the Mk 4 Jazz.
2022 HR-V Elegance, previously 2020 Jazz Crosstar

jazzaro

• Approved Member
« Reply #6 on: September 22, 2020, 04:36:24 PM »
Cost cutting...

EDIT: thanks to the author of this post, this makes me remember that I have to pre-order some clips before the next oil change in november.
« Last Edit: September 22, 2020, 08:37:14 PM by jazzaro »

jazzaro

• Approved Member
« Reply #7 on: October 08, 2020, 12:51:21 PM »
This is the plastic clip used to retain the panel under the engine: two 91514-tg1-t01 keep the rear part of the panel attached to the suspension subframe.
Other tho fixings keep the panel attached to the front bumper, each fixing is composed by:
90114-SE0-000 screw
90308-SB2-013 nut

plasma

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2023 mark 4
« Reply #8 on: November 13, 2020, 12:53:12 PM »
The under engine tray and it’s fixing is very poor ,in fact it’s a load of crap.

Plasma

Westy36

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy: Extremely good !!
  • My Honda: 2013 Jazz 1.4 ES Silver
« Reply #9 on: November 13, 2020, 05:37:35 PM »

The under engine tray and it’s fixing is very poor ,in fact it’s a load of crap.

Fair point well made!  :D They are a bad idea in general. The number of motors you see about with flapping undertrays......dangerous. If all else fails, 50 pence worth of cable ties will secure it.

Cars never used to have undertrays. Are they fitted for aerodynamic purposes or keep the engine bay dry/cleaner? Or just to wind up DIY motorists.

plasma

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2023 mark 4
« Reply #10 on: November 13, 2020, 06:26:33 PM »

Fair point well made!  :D They are a bad idea in general. The number of motors you see about with flapping undertrays......dangerous. If all else fails, 50 pence worth of cable ties will secure it.

Cars never used to have undertrays. Are they fitted for aerodynamic purposes or keep the engine bay dry/cleaner? Or just to wind up DIY motorists.

Cable ties , that’s what I have done after my came off

Plasma

culzean

• Approved Member
« Reply #11 on: November 13, 2020, 06:57:08 PM »

Cable ties , that’s what I have done after my came off

Plasma

I have read in a few places that undertrays are to stop engine noises escaping, so not aerodynamics just to make car quieter to people outside the car...
Some people will only consider you an expert if they agree with your point of view or advice,  when you give them advice they don't like they consider you an idiot

sparky Paul

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2015 GG6 Jazz EX 1.4 I-VTEC / 2008 GE3 Jazz SE 1.4 i-DSI
« Reply #12 on: November 13, 2020, 08:04:10 PM »
I have read in a few places that undertrays are to stop engine noises escaping, so not aerodynamics just to make car quieter to people outside the car...

I think that's the main reason, although the aerodynamics and fuel economy must come in to it too.

Our other car has them at the rear end too, supposedly all for fuel economy, but they are more permanently fixed and not all flappy like the Honda undertray. All the back end around the suspension and up to the bumper is all faired in, like the engine bay. In fact, the engine bay undertray is solidly fixed, with only a drop down flap for access to the sump plug. The oil filter is accessed through the wheelarch, you have to take the damn wheel off!

Jocko

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
  • My Honda: Died from rust.
« Reply #13 on: November 13, 2020, 09:46:57 PM »
The Hypermilers fabricate and fix all enclosing undertrays to improve fuel efficiency.

Westy36

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy: Extremely good !!
  • My Honda: 2013 Jazz 1.4 ES Silver
« Reply #14 on: November 14, 2020, 11:36:01 AM »

I think that's the main reason, although the aerodynamics and fuel economy must come in to it too.

Our other car has them at the rear end too, supposedly all for fuel economy, but they are more permanently fixed and not all flappy like the Honda undertray. All the back end around the suspension and up to the bumper is all faired in, like the engine bay. In fact, the engine bay undertray is solidly fixed, with only a drop down flap for access to the sump plug. The oil filter is accessed through the wheelarch, you have to take the damn wheel off!

OK so for noise reasons. Not sure on the benefit, but its interesting to find out. We ran a MK2 Octavia VRS for couple of years, and that had a very 3 dimensional moulding. I hadn't really stopped to consider why.

The oil filter is accessed through the wheelarch, you have to take the damn wheel off! Really? That is just plain daft. About as sensible as having to remove bumpers to replace headlight bulbs etc.

Tags:

anything