Author Topic: NEW CAR: CRV, HRV or Jazz Crosstar?  (Read 2329 times)

JazzyJazz1

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: Jazz 1.4 Graphite (2006)
NEW CAR: CRV, HRV or Jazz Crosstar?
« on: March 31, 2023, 04:44:46 PM »
Hey everyone,
I'm looking for a new and reliable car for my mom. One that can last her at least 10 years without many expensive repairs - in short: a trustworthy car! My first thought: HONDA.

What she wants:
- high rideheight / SUV-like
- Petrol
- Mid-sized or bigger with enough storage space
- Automatic
- Comfortable on the highway. (enough HP)
- 25K GBP budget, give or take.
I'm leaning towards the following cars:
- CRV
- HRV
- or Jazz Crosstar

My main concern with ALL these cars is the CVT transmission, yes its cool tech but from what I hear: unreliable. Any experiences? The Jazz Crosstar has the new E-CVT, is that any better? And how is the new Jazz on the highway. I drive a good old Jazz from 2006 and I love it, I just feel its not the best car on the highway, underpowered and lots of wind noise. How's the new one?

I've been looking at the German mid range SUV's aswell but they can't reallyu convince me. A lot of issues and a lot of expensive repairs for expensive parts...

Do you guys have any recommendations? Thanks!

Marco1979

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
  • My Honda: Honda Jazz Crosstar 2021 Crystal Red
Re: NEW CAR: CRV, HRV or Jazz Crosstar?
« Reply #1 on: March 31, 2023, 05:12:54 PM »
CVT’s are not necessarily unreliable as long as regular maintenance is done. I would prefer a CVT over any German automatic.
The Jazz Crosstar and CRV e:hev have a completely different system from a mechanical point of view: no belt driven CVT. So also no wear. More reliable: time will tell…

I like my Crosstar; it is also a nice car to drive on the highway. Fast enough, quiet enough and still economic. But HRV and CRV both are larger and I would prefer that on long journeys. A bit more comfortable.

Personally I would start at the bottom end (test drive a Crosstar) and if you like it, buy one. If you start out by driving a CRV, you might notice a step downwards when changing to HRV or Crosstar.

Terryp

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: Honda jazz EX crosstar
« Reply #2 on: March 31, 2023, 05:19:13 PM »
I have to say I have the crosstar so cannot comment on other models. I find the crosstar very easy to drive, I had trepidation at first as I have only driven manuals but the auto box is a delight, responsive and not at all glitchy. The accelerator works like a dream, and does not do anything harsh.

Although the car is slightly taller I wouldn’t sat it was in the SUV league for ride height but the flat view across the dash to the front window is excellent. The whole view out the windows is superb, Honda slimming down the main windscreen side areas has made a huge difference indeed.

I am finding the crosstar very comfortable indeed, inside it is like a tardis, tons of headroom and it feels bigger than it is.

Think your mum might be quite surprised.

NoelM

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2021 Jazz Crosstar
« Reply #3 on: March 31, 2023, 05:33:20 PM »
HRV Sport

peteo48

• Approved Member
  • I have entered the Jazz Age
  • Fuel economy:
  • My Honda: 2021 Honda Jazz Mk4 1.5 i-MMD EX
« Reply #4 on: March 31, 2023, 05:38:59 PM »
Just going to be a bit disloyal for a moment. The Toyota garage near me has a number of the Toyota Yaris Hybrids in SUV form (if that makes sense). Not sure what it's called but they look a lot bigger than the normal Yaris and have that SUV ride height.

Worth a look alongside the Honda's? The Toyota hybrid system is known to be very reliable.

John Ratsey

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2022 HR-V Elegance
« Reply #5 on: March 31, 2023, 05:45:04 PM »
Here's a good explanation of Honda's e:HEV transmission . It does include a few gears but I wouldn't call it a gearbox.

You won't find the HR-V hybrid within your budget as they were only arrived a year ago and the used models start at around £30k. You may find some of the oldest CR-V hybrids within your budget which might buy a new Crosstar if you can find a dealer that needs to shift one. If the supply situation with new vehicles improves then prices of both new and used vehicles should become more flexible.
2022 HR-V Elegance, previously 2020 Jazz Crosstar

Toptek

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2018 Jazz EX NAVI CVT
« Reply #6 on: March 31, 2023, 06:38:34 PM »
We currently have a 2018 Jazz after owning a 2003 CRV for 13 years until 2020. Whilst our Jazz isn't on your list, we did have a demonstrator CRV in 2020 as a courtesy car and it seemed far bigger than our old CRV. Whilst it was a beautiful car, it seemed far bigger than the old CRV.
My wife prefers to drive the Jazz as it's a far more manageable size.
I prefer the CRV for the size, comfort and ease of access, but that's because I'm older, fatter and find it difficult to get into the Jazz. However, I prefer the Jazz lower running costs.

Pine

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: Honda IZY Lawnmower
« Reply #7 on: March 31, 2023, 07:10:30 PM »
Just going to be a bit disloyal for a moment. The Toyota garage near me has a number of the Toyota Yaris Hybrids in SUV form (if that makes sense). Not sure what it's called but they look a lot bigger than the normal Yaris and have that SUV ride height.

Worth a look alongside the Honda's? The Toyota hybrid system is known to be very reliable.

That would be the Yaris Cross, they look bigger than they actually are. They have a good size boot, bigger than the standard Yaris and bigger than any Jazz.

Jazzfan49

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2023 jazz 1.5 I-mmd SR Crystal Black
« Reply #8 on: March 31, 2023, 09:46:02 PM »

That would be the Yaris Cross, they look bigger than they actually are. They have a good size boot, bigger than the standard Yaris and bigger than any Jazz.

The Yaris Cross although a good car is cramped in the back and the doors don’t open as wide as the Jazz / Crosstar   ;D

Marco1979

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
  • My Honda: Honda Jazz Crosstar 2021 Crystal Red
« Reply #9 on: April 01, 2023, 08:49:10 AM »
The Yaris Cross is more expensive than the Jazz. It did not give me any satisfaction in built quality; the Jazz felt much more ‘solid’. And more airy and roomy inside.

Lord Voltermore

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2021 Jazz EX
« Reply #10 on: April 01, 2023, 09:45:58 AM »
It your mums budget is big enough to buy a hybrid Jazz mk 4  or crosstar forget what  you have heard about the disadvantages of CVT transmission.    Although for some unknown reason  Honda still call  it a cvt transmission its really not the same as the cvt transmission found in older cars.   The hybrid has just one gear  and the car is driven by an electric motor. This is expected to be very reliable.    It does NOT have the constantly changing gears, belts, jerkyness, or the need for regular expensive cvt oil changes etc.

Get your mum to take a test drive in a Crosstar first. Take a test drive. Its not enough to just sit in the various cars and compare sizes.   .  If she is used to driving an automatic  I think she will find the Hybrid system a delightful car  to drive. Smooth ,usually very quiet , with no Jerkyness.    Although the Jazz mk 4/crosstar   is technically a fairly small car  its roomy for its size and the view out of the windows is excellent.  Much better than  some much larger cars.

If she really needs a larger car than the Crosstar   the latest hybrid versions of larger Honda models use a similar drive system. Great if she can afford to buy one.   But they may be too expensive for a budget of 25K GBP.  Even used ones.      If buying a larger car means she has to buy an older one, with the old fashioned mechanical cvt system  I think its a mistake .A backward step.  The new hybrids are a pleasure to drive and use less fuel. Better to go for the latest technology even if it means she has to downsize slightly.   
« Last Edit: April 01, 2023, 09:58:39 AM by Lord Voltermore »
  Trust a dog to guard your house  , but not your sandwich

crosstarhonda

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: honda jazz crosstar
« Reply #11 on: April 02, 2023, 07:16:32 PM »
Had my Crosstar now since February 2022. Went back to CarWow whom i used to purchase it and found brand new HR V Advance which is £25500 trade in on Crosstar is £22500, paid £23000 for it  and picking up HR V this week. HR V is just a larger Jazz!  The car markets gone mad but the HR V just feels right but must say the Jazz has been a great little car which we've done 17,000 miies in.

Saycol

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: MY21 Jazz Crosstar
« Reply #12 on: April 02, 2023, 09:18:21 PM »
Had my Crosstar now since February 2022. Went back to CarWow whom i used to purchase it and found brand new HR V Advance which is £25500 trade in on Crosstar is £22500, paid £23000 for it  and picking up HR V this week. HR V is just a larger Jazz!  The car markets gone mad but the HR V just feels right but must say the Jazz has been a great little car which we've done 17,000 miies in.
Am I reading this correctly, you are getting a brand new HR-V Advance for £25,500? List price on the Honda website is over £30,000. Would be grateful for clarification!

SebastianTR

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy: 4.0L/100km
  • My Honda: 2021 Jazz e:HEV
« Reply #13 on: April 03, 2023, 09:41:21 AM »
I had a Seat Arona 2021 1.0TSI
Good looking SUV. Easy to drive. Really powerfull and quick car for a 1.0 Turbo petrol engine.

But it wasn't quiete, wasn't comfy, outside look is great but inside is not charming.
Simple and useable but lack of quality materials. You can feel it you are driven a cheap family car.
Also DSG ofcourse. You always be carefull about it.

We sell it and buy a 2021 e:Hev Crosstar.
I'm not a experinced driver but best car we own. Build quality is good you feel safe and secured.
Easy to drive. Less performance to Arona but it's OK for us. Stil comfy in highway and way more better for wind and road noise.
I'm very pleased about crosstar
Cheers!

Kremmen

• Approved Member
  • Civinfo interloper
  • Fuel economy:
  • My Honda: MY22 Jazz EX
« Reply #14 on: April 03, 2023, 10:26:40 AM »
Step one has to be at a dealers and look and sit in each one first.

Then the test drive.

I downsized to the Jazz because I didn't see the point of buying something bigger than I needed.
Let's be careful out there !

Tags:

anything