Author Topic: no battery hybrid?  (Read 2629 times)

smilertoo

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 1.39l Honda Jazz 2004 Ice Blue - 45mpg max/40mpg normal
no battery hybrid?
« on: December 15, 2018, 04:10:01 PM »
Does anyone know what happens if the hybrid battery dies?

1. the car wont work until you get a new battery.
2. the car runs on the engine but with worse mpg than a normal jazz automatic.
3. the car runs like a normal jazz automatic.

culzean

• Approved Member
Re: no battery hybrid?
« Reply #1 on: December 16, 2018, 12:00:38 PM »
As the battery on the hybrid is not very big it does not really do much anyway,  and other plug-in hybrids will work fine when battery is flat and the the car will continue to work as normal but without any energy recovery (regen) or acceleration assistance.  All that will happen is that you will be lugging around the weight of a useless battery - like the Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV does most of the time - all 500Kg of it LOL.  A survey found that majority of company car users had PHEV vehicles for the tax and emission zone perks,  but never actually charged the battery - so much for saving the planet being a reason people get PHEV.
Some people will only consider you an expert if they agree with your point of view or advice,  when you give them advice they don't like they consider you an idiot

John Ratsey

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2022 HR-V Elegance
« Reply #2 on: December 16, 2018, 09:07:19 PM »
So far I've seen no reports about the hybrid system's battery dying. Forum member Ozzie took his first hybrid Jazz past 250,000 miles before it died (due to a transmission failure). I had the Jazz hybrid for a few years and got the impression that Honda had designed the system to give the battery a very easy life (I only saw the battery gauge go below half on one occasion).
2022 HR-V Elegance, previously 2020 Jazz Crosstar

jazzavac

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: Honda Jazz HS Hybrid
« Reply #3 on: December 17, 2018, 10:44:18 AM »
If main battery or its charging system fails, you may have IMA light on the dashboard ON, but car should run fine as any non-hybrid car.

Honda Jazz Hybrid uses hybrid battery to start the engine and for start/stop, but it also has standard starter fitted.

As mentioned above, in case of hybrid battery failure, only downside is about 70kg of unnecessary load and IMA light ON which may cause MOT advisory or failure.

On the other side, some forum members reported that the weight of the battery actually improves handling.

smilertoo

• Topic Starter
  • Approved Member
  • My Honda: 1.39l Honda Jazz 2004 Ice Blue - 45mpg max/40mpg normal
« Reply #4 on: December 17, 2018, 11:54:26 AM »
Nice so it will work even if you're unlucky enough for the battery to go. Is there a reason everyone 'had' a hybrid?

Ozzie

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2011 HS, 2015 HS-T, now in a VW T-Roc
« Reply #5 on: December 17, 2018, 04:41:22 PM »
Nice so it will work even if you're unlucky enough for the battery to go. Is there a reason everyone 'had' a hybrid?
I bought a second one, so although I had one, I have another now.  ;D

Tags: