Author Topic: Tyre pump  (Read 5760 times)

Sharon

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2004. Mk1
Tyre pump
« on: February 18, 2024, 11:28:20 PM »
Can anyone recommend a tyre pump to keep in my car please? Not too expensive but pretty accurate with the gauge? I had a battery powered thing but it packed up and I feel that going on without one is just asking for trouble.

csp

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy: Average 63 mpg
  • My Honda: Platinum White Jazz e:HEV SR 2020
Re: Tyre pump
« Reply #1 on: February 19, 2024, 07:49:25 AM »
If I were to buy another electric  battery pump I would insist on a Lithium Iron battery. I always have to check the pressure with a old push on mechanical gauge after pumping up the tyres.
One of the biggest problems with tyre pumps is the adaptors to connect to the tyre valve they haven't improved over the years from foot pumps to electric ones most let air out when disconnected. None of the pumps I have had have lasted very long. The electric pumps that come with Honda & Kia cars are as good as any I have bought.
I would also be interested if anyone has found a very good reliable & robust battery powered pump.

olduser1

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: Jazz EX 2015 CVT Elite Pack
« Reply #2 on: February 19, 2024, 09:03:34 AM »
Honda pump as supplied new, should be plenty around on EBay and similar.

aphybrid

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy: 54.46
  • My Honda: Jazz Crosstar Shiny Grey
« Reply #3 on: February 19, 2024, 10:32:03 AM »
Various pumps are available relatively cheap.
However the main problem i have found is the connection to the tyre, fitting or releasing them always seems to cause quite an air pressure loss.

I have a Bosch air pump (other tools with all4 batteries) plus other plug in type in partner's car.
The Bosch came with a screw in type schrader connection. By means of some adapters I have converted this to a clip on type. It is a Laser Tools clip on valve, this works perfectly, other types available just do not seal well due to a hard seal inside or just not sized properly.

The Laser connections are on Amazon - 
2 x Laser 5442 Tyre Valve Connector - Clip On/Open End
Sold by: Amazon EU S.a.r.L.    £8.43

Photos of the pumps with fittings and purchase details attached

Tags: