Author Topic: Jump start Jazz from Hybrid Toyota?  (Read 1522 times)

culzean

• Approved Member
Re: Jump start Jazz from Hybrid Toyota?
« Reply #15 on: June 14, 2020, 12:09:12 PM »
After a good 11 hour charge yesterday, we refitted the battery this morning and all is good. I educated my lad on the need to do the occasional long run, especially during lockdown. Basically, he uses it to go to Tesco or visit us and she uses it to get to the hospital and back. Maximum journey time is maybe 15 minutes, so the battery was probably suffering anyway.

As I have said before the battery is probably the most misunderstood and neglected part of the car - does not bode well for BEV,  although because it is a major part of car maybe will be looked after better,  but how many people know that both frequent fast charging and also leaving at over 80% state of charge will damage Li-Ion battery.  I never even fully charge phone, shaver and toothbrush....

Thankfully what we used to call 'K-Mart specials' batteries are not very common ( cheaper due to a big case, lots of electrolyte and not many plates ( usually 7 or 9 plates per cell,  which you could tell by light weight when you lifted them up ).   Most batteries now are  11 and probably 13 plates per cell and makers have managed to give better performance and lighter weight with thinner plate frames / grids and thinner separators and different lead alloy combinations - lead/silver and lead/calcium make a battery really maintenance free and very low self-discharge.

If the battery has been kept in low state of charge for any length of time ( <80% ) and has been fully flattened and is =>4 years old,  may be time to fit a new on for peace of mind.
« Last Edit: June 14, 2020, 12:25:16 PM by culzean »
Some people will only consider you an expert if they agree with your point of view or advice,  when you give them advice they don't like they consider you an idiot

richardfrost

• Topic Starter
  • Approved Member
  • My Honda: Black 2005 1.4 SE RIP
« Reply #16 on: June 15, 2020, 01:56:41 AM »
If the battery has been kept in low state of charge for any length of time ( <80% ) and has been fully flattened and is =>4 years old,  may be time to fit a new on for peace of mind.

Thanks. We can consider that now in our own time. The 'emergency' option of Halfords Yuasa was I think £89 whereas Amazon has the same for £63. There are a few other things to sort also so might take a couple of days off and do some active maintenance on it. E.g. a deer jumped on the roof and dented it, but not before completely knackering the rear wiper which now dangles feebly at the back!

culzean

• Approved Member
« Reply #17 on: June 15, 2020, 08:05:29 AM »

Thanks. We can consider that now in our own time. The 'emergency' option of Halfords Yuasa was I think £89 whereas Amazon has the same for £63. There are a few other things to sort also so might take a couple of days off and do some active maintenance on it. E.g. a deer jumped on the roof and dented it, but not before completely knackering the rear wiper which now dangles feebly at the back!

This is a steal from Tayna battery - they come with Japanese posts ( which Jazz uses ) and a removable split collar to suit larger DIN terminals.. I have bought a few batteries from Tayna, including for motorbikes and their delivery and service has always been great.

https://www.tayna.co.uk/car-batteries/yuasa/ybx5054/

And this from wiperblades.co.uk   

https://www.wiperblades.co.uk/honda-jazz-years-2002-to-2008-wiper-blades/rear-wiper-blades-arm-wiper-blade

Good quality,  got one for my wifes MK2 ( one above is for MK1 ) - they do either 24 or 48 hour tracked delivery and service is great.
« Last Edit: June 15, 2020, 08:15:42 AM by culzean »
Some people will only consider you an expert if they agree with your point of view or advice,  when you give them advice they don't like they consider you an idiot

richardfrost

• Topic Starter
  • Approved Member
  • My Honda: Black 2005 1.4 SE RIP
« Reply #18 on: June 15, 2020, 11:17:22 AM »
Awesome @culzean thanks.

Tags: