Author Topic: Keeping within the 20mph limit Wales!  (Read 12786 times)

dfconnolly

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2021 Jazz e-HEV EX and 2019 CRV e-HEV SR
Keeping within the 20mph limit Wales!
« on: September 30, 2023, 08:37:41 PM »
Well the time has come in Wales that we have to use the speed limiters on our Hondas

One problem I notice with the intelligent limiter is that it’s challenged when hitting the 20mph limit from 50mph zones and goes ballistic in full audio alarm because the speed doesn’t drop quickly enough unless you slam on the brakes.
You have to really preempt this in advance!

I’m using the limiter to keep my eyes on the road and not constantly looking at the speedometer to keep below the 20mph limit!

Regarding the wisdom of Welsh government in implementing this lower limit is another debate!?
From the advert "Who knows where you’ll go?"

aphybrid

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy: 54.46
  • My Honda: Jazz Crosstar Shiny Grey
Re: Keeping within the 20mph limit Wales!
« Reply #1 on: September 30, 2023, 09:03:17 PM »
when did any governemnt have wisdom about anything in recent history??

5thcivic

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: Jazz EX e:HEV and E
« Reply #2 on: September 30, 2023, 09:09:52 PM »
Strange road design to have a large cutoff from 50 to 20 without anything in between but I suppose any change needs tweaking.

I'm not a fan of 20, but it is worth trying as an experiment if the pedestrian deaths do fall significantly, as the science predicts. If not another look is in order.

The present furore is entirely media driven and reminds me of the stupid comments when compulsory seat belts were introduced, they look pretty stupid nowadays when no-one with any sense would argue we do away with seat belts after the proven death and injury statistics.

Lord Voltermore

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2021 Jazz EX
« Reply #3 on: October 01, 2023, 07:04:42 AM »
I dont like 'blanket' 20 mph.  There have always been many roads where 30 mph is too fast  , and some where even 20 mph is still too fast  for the circumstances.     But plenty of roads where the current 30 mph is about right. I like to think I am a responsible driver.  I often drive well under the 30 mph limit on certain roads,and situations .  But it can be quite tempting to exceed the limit if you regard  it as too slow. We all think we know better.  I always resist the temptation of course , ;) :-[

I live on a main road into town .   It is 30 mph. Its 40 mph  just up the road, where the houses are identical.  Indeed my house is on a short stretch that is dual carriageway.   As a resident I am NOT calling for MY  road to be 20 mph. It would be ridiculous.  Its a road where its tempting to drive faster, and thats why it has a speed camera. I just wish they could stop  those on illegal e scooters hurtling along the pavement at 30 mph, so I can emerge safely from  my driveway, by car or on foot.   Its a bit of a hill too. Would cyclists  respect the 20 mph limit?

Its normal in the uk to assume if there are lamp posts its 30 mph unless there are speed signs to the contrary. 
Saves on the cost of putting up so many  signs.   But i think  drivers are more likely to respect speed limits if they are always well signed, and accepted as appropriate for the immediate locality.  Even if its 10 mph in places. 

This doesnt mean I am anti there being a lower limit on many roads.  But over use because thats the default speed can breed contempt.
« Last Edit: October 01, 2023, 08:29:58 AM by Lord Voltermore »
  Trust a dog to guard your house  , but not your sandwich

Wilmo

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: Jazz 1.5 Sport 2018
« Reply #4 on: October 01, 2023, 07:59:20 AM »
Strange road design to have a large cutoff from 50 to 20 without anything in between but I suppose any change needs tweaking.

I'm not a fan of 20, but it is worth trying as an experiment if the pedestrian deaths do fall significantly, as the science predicts. If not another look is in order.

The present furore is entirely media driven and reminds me of the stupid comments when compulsory seat belts were introduced, they look pretty stupid nowadays when no-one with any sense would argue we do away with seat belts after the proven death and injury statistics.

After the seat belt legislation came in would you believe that the NHS transplant surgeons were complaining about the reduction in available organs because the survival rate of accident victims increased!!
Well they did.

olduser1

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: Jazz EX 2015 CVT Elite Pack
« Reply #5 on: October 01, 2023, 08:59:20 AM »
Simple don't travel to beautiful Wales, we live 20 miles away. Won't be going to enjoy the scenery and friendly pubs.
Another example of top down rules by non users......

Kremmen

• Approved Member
  • Civinfo interloper
  • Fuel economy:
  • My Honda: MY22 Jazz EX
« Reply #6 on: October 01, 2023, 10:22:50 AM »
Is the 20mph limit to help protect the jaywalkers texting and the like on mobile phones and not paying attention
Let's be careful out there !

peteo48

• Approved Member
  • I have entered the Jazz Age
  • Fuel economy:
  • My Honda: 2021 Honda Jazz Mk4 1.5 i-MMD EX
« Reply #7 on: October 01, 2023, 11:10:19 AM »
There does seem to be some confusion as to how all embracing this 20 mph limit is in Wales. My own view is that 20 mph should be the default speed limit on all housing estates, near schools and near any retirement/care homes. That is pretty much the case in Warrington where I live. I'm not sure it's needed outside these areas.

ColinB

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2015 Jazz 1.3 SE manual in Milano Red
« Reply #8 on: October 01, 2023, 11:16:19 AM »
Would cyclists  respect the 20 mph limit?

That's a whole new can of worms. There is a very vociferous pro-cycling lobby that argues “speed limits don’t apply to cyclists”, which is being repeated often enough that people are now accepting it as gospel. But I can’t see any mention in the Highway Code of cyclists being treated differently to any other type of road user, and speed limit signs are “signs that must be obeyed” so IMHO speed limits DO apply to cyclists. But you won’t find anyone doing anything about that, because:
1. Cyclists argue that they are not required to have a speedometer so how can they be expected to know they are speeding?
2. Cycles aren’t required to have visible ID (registration plates) so can’t be formally identified and prosecuted.

Even in circumstances where there is incontrovertible evidence of speeding, and the behaviour could endanger other road users, the authorities seem to be powerless and even a simple warning to them generates a social media storm:
https://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/crime/cyclists-speed-limit-law-devon-police-b2404906.html

(BTW I’m not anti-cycling or e-scootering, I’d just like those doing it to obey the rules because not doing so endangers others, especially pedestrians).

Wilmo

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: Jazz 1.5 Sport 2018
« Reply #9 on: October 01, 2023, 11:50:23 AM »
There does seem to be some confusion as to how all embracing this 20 mph limit is in Wales. My own view is that 20 mph should be the default speed limit on all housing estates, near schools and near any retirement/care homes. That is pretty much the case in Warrington where I live. I'm not sure it's needed outside these areas.
Absolutely agree.
But try telling that to idiot politicians who seem to be bereft of any sense let alone the "common" variety.

embee

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2018 Jazz SE CVT
« Reply #10 on: October 01, 2023, 04:18:57 PM »
We have a stretch of 20mph here in Kenilworth along the main shopping "street", that bit is fine, you rarely get chance to do more anyway because of the traffic and pedestrian crossings and traffic lights etc. It does however extend rather too far IMO and once out of the main shop area it gets tricky to maintain 20mph without carefully watching the speedo. A blanket 20mph was mooted by some local residents group or other a few years ago but got put aside thankfully.

The town does however highlight some of the absurdities of regulations. If you look at the map you see the A452 signage does not follow what is in reality the main road.
https://www.google.co.uk/maps/place/CV8/@52.3479935,-1.5897278,15.25z/data=!4m6!3m5!1s0x4870b509fe37c6c9:0x74fd6ed0239efa98!8m2!3d52.34044!4d-1.5585727!16s%2Fg%2F11bw3hfb_p?entry=ttu
The A452 goes off round some side roads and residential streets. The reason is that by law (as I understand it) an A road cannot have a "ford" these days, but that's what there is near the castle (when it rains heavily), so the principal road becomes the B4103 past the castle and through the town.
However I also believe an A road shouldn't have a one-way section, but that's exactly what the A452 does, and if you try to follow it north-west to south-east you find that at Fieldgate Lane it is one way only and you can't follow the A452 at all and have to go off onto other lanes and roads. This is all nonsense, if you come into the town from Birmingham direction you just follow the road on the obvious route, the numbering is simply a cobbled up fiddle. Bureaucracy eh?

Westy36

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy: Extremely good !!
  • My Honda: 2013 Jazz 1.4 ES Silver
« Reply #11 on: October 01, 2023, 08:49:39 PM »
We've a couple of housing estates in town with 20mph limits. Makes total sense to me, and I would support a wider adoption of the lower limit in dense urban areas.

What I've noticed, is in 20 limits, people drive nearer 30. In 30 limits, well, 40 is order of the day. 20 is plently gets my vote.

when did any governemnt have wisdom about anything in recent history??
Certainly the last 13yrs. Shower of.......

Kremmen

• Approved Member
  • Civinfo interloper
  • Fuel economy:
  • My Honda: MY22 Jazz EX
« Reply #12 on: October 02, 2023, 05:00:36 AM »
 :o 20 or 30

Let's be careful out there !

Marmoset

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: Mk 4 2020
« Reply #13 on: October 02, 2023, 07:21:40 AM »
The roads in my London borough are pretty much all 20mph, the exception being main roads which run through multiple boroughs; these are administered by Transport for London and tend to have varying speeds of 50, 40, 30 and, at junctions, etc, 20mph. TfL recently indicated that there would be more 20mph zones introduced where needed.  It's not a ''blanket'' 20mph thing but the rhetoric about ''blanket bans'' may have much to do with the Conservatives' attempts to replace Khan as London mayor. 

I haven't found that keeping to 20mph is any more difficult than keeping to 30mph - all it needs is a reasonable sense of how fast you're actually going. Journey times are only very slightly affected at 20 but the effect of improved safety for more vulnerable road users is far greater. 

Basil

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 1.2 S Mk2 - GG5 & 1.5 Sport Mk3 - GK5
« Reply #14 on: December 13, 2023, 09:43:41 AM »
Just for the record it's not a "blanket 20mph" in Wales either.
Old 30mph limits in built up areas have changed to 20mph but councils had the power to keep roads at 30mph if they thought it was safe. Main roads into and out of Cardiff and others across the country are still 30mph.

Tags: