Author Topic: 2018 Honda Fit With a New Sport Trim, HFP Package & Standard Sensing  (Read 13065 times)

Downsizer

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: Jazz 1.3 SE cvt - Feb '16 - Blue
Re: 2018 Honda Fit With a New Sport Trim, HFP Package & Standard Sensing
« Reply #15 on: August 15, 2017, 01:41:45 PM »
My reading of the article is that the current 1.3 litre unit will continue in all models except the new "Dynamic" model, which will have the 1.5 litre engine to go with red bits, spoilers etc.  Spoiler is a good description in my view!  No doubt this model will be more expensive to insure.

John Ratsey

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2022 HR-V Elegance
« Reply #16 on: August 15, 2017, 02:09:28 PM »
Radiator blanking devices were superseded by thermostats decades ago, the radiator is not used until the engine is hot. The thermostat (radiator) only opens and starts cooling when the heater can no longer provide adequate cooling.
I know about the thermostat. My point is to keep cold air out of the engine compartment until it is warmed up and a lot of that cold air will pass through the radiator. I believe that Kia have implemented a louvre system, together with capture of heat from the exhaust, on the Niro.
2022 HR-V Elegance, previously 2020 Jazz Crosstar

Jocko

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
  • My Honda: Died from rust.
« Reply #17 on: August 15, 2017, 03:17:12 PM »
I know that from reading the Hypermiler's site they say that they block the grill to prevent the cold air from chilling the block and manifold. On a cold morning the windchill factor means that the air flowing round the block is sub zero. Warmer intake air also improves economy (though slightly reduces power).

Skyrider

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 1.5 Sport CVT.
« Reply #18 on: August 15, 2017, 03:31:28 PM »
Life is too short to prat about with bits of cardboard stuffed into radiators, also I am sure the aircon will be impressed at losing the cooling air to its condenser. My car works fine as it is. I have been in both Canada and Norway in winter with a temperature of minus lots, I don't recall anyone blocking off their radiator. It would make for an interesting warranty claim, "My engine has overheating damage because I blocked off the radiator". I can see the dealers staff in hysterics, after you have left of course!
« Last Edit: August 15, 2017, 05:41:08 PM by Deeps »

culzean

• Approved Member
« Reply #19 on: August 15, 2017, 08:09:06 PM »
Life is too short to prat about with bits of cardboard stuffed into radiators, also I am sure the aircon will be impressed at losing the cooling air to its condenser. My car works fine as it is. I have been in both Canada and Norway in winter with a temperature of minus lots, I don't recall anyone blocking off their radiator. It would make for an interesting warranty claim, "My engine has overheating damage because I blocked off the radiator". I can see the dealers staff in hysterics, after you have left of course!

It used to make sense to block off the rad in winter for faster warm-up when mechanical or viscous coupled fans were used on radiator which used to suck cold air all the time and blow it over the engine - slowing the warm-up (and have been known to cause cold radiators to freeze),  but with electric fans they don't kick in until engine is starting to overheat anyway.  Modern engines have the least volume of coolant they can safely get away with so this also speeds up the warm-up time.

I remember you could fit radiator blinds with a cable and a handle inside the car to raise and lower the blind, but a lot of 'low tech' people did use cardboard.
Some people will only consider you an expert if they agree with your point of view or advice,  when you give them advice they don't like they consider you an idiot

Jocko

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
« Reply #20 on: August 15, 2017, 08:20:27 PM »
I had a Ford 100E, with a radiator about 3' tall. In the winter I hung a lump of cardboard blanking the bottom half of the radiator, held like a framed picture, by wire hung from the filler cap.

Skyrider

• Approved Member
« Reply #21 on: August 15, 2017, 08:52:50 PM »
Things have moved on a bit since then, I doubt if a 100E had an engine ECU to be confused by DIY radiator modification. :-)

http://www.oldclassiccar.co.uk/radiator-blinds.htm

I remember them too!
« Last Edit: August 15, 2017, 08:58:08 PM by Deeps »

Jocko

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
« Reply #22 on: August 15, 2017, 09:19:19 PM »
I remember the ones on the A30. When the company stopped making them they moved over to Gimp suits.

culzean

• Approved Member
« Reply #23 on: August 15, 2017, 09:25:06 PM »
here is a more modern take on the radiator blind / shutter

http://www.car-engineer.com/radiator-shutter-reduced-aerodynamic-drag/
Some people will only consider you an expert if they agree with your point of view or advice,  when you give them advice they don't like they consider you an idiot

Skyrider

• Approved Member
« Reply #24 on: August 15, 2017, 09:45:50 PM »
 Ford were using a similar system on their "Eco" models a few years ago.

« Last Edit: August 15, 2017, 10:23:33 PM by Deeps »

Tags: videos jazz 

anything