Author Topic: Dash Cam Hardwire Installation  (Read 19184 times)

BigRon

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: Honda Jazz Crosstar
Re: Dash Cam Hardwire Installation
« Reply #15 on: August 29, 2020, 09:40:29 PM »
My Nextbase 522 (front and rear) is hardwired via a piggyback connector and was fitted by a qualified auto electrician

What did the auto electrician charge to fit the hardwire kit.

Kremmen

• Approved Member
  • Civinfo interloper
  • Fuel economy:
  • My Honda: MY22 Jazz EX
« Reply #16 on: September 08, 2020, 01:24:58 PM »
I'm interested in this.

On other Hondas the under dash fusebox has an 'option connecter' socket. If this Jazz also has this socket then wiring in a dashcam and SatNav will be a breeze.

On my Civic I currently have my dashcam wired to Ign Pos 2 and my Garmin to Ign Pos 1.

Here is the connector on my 9G Civic with the 2 wires:

Anyone got a photo of the 2020 Jazz fusebox ?

Let's be careful out there !

Steve_M

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2024 Jazz Crosstar e:HEV
« Reply #17 on: September 08, 2020, 03:04:18 PM »
Mk4 Jazz has a similar accessory connector as Kremmen mentions.

It is a 4 pin connector in the front face of the underdash fusebox, right hand side above the fuses.
Pin 1 is a battery +supply (need to put a suitable sized fuse in position 36 of fusebox (15A))
Pin 2 is Reverse +supply
Pin 3 is Acc position +supply
Pin 4 is Ignition +supply
« Last Edit: September 08, 2020, 03:13:42 PM by Steve_M »

jazzaro

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: GK3 Jazz 1.3 6m Elegance Navi grey.
« Reply #18 on: September 08, 2020, 03:16:12 PM »
If there is a canbus adapter, that's good. But I was thinking possibilities to remain undetected by the car systems. If the dashcam is powered from the same fuse as 12 V accessory outlet there is no way the system knows if it's the dashcam or some device plugged in to the outlet.

+1

I agree,  the Canbus system,  has 'nodes' that control individual bits of equipment that communicate with the controller modules via a two core bus cable, the power can be supplied in same cable ( 4 core with two heavier power conductors and two light data cores ) or a separate cable.  If you plug something into 12v power that comes from battery and not via the controller the system will not know what is plugged in as there is no data cable to controller from the device.  CAN bus compatible on LED bulbs purely means that the LED has to draw the same current as the filament bulb it replaces or the node supplying the bulb will see too little current and think bulb has blown,  - normally a resistor in parallel with LED does the trick,  some LED bulbs sold as CANbus compatible have a resistor built in. 

LED bulbs have constant current power supplies built in ( LED works on current not voltage ) some cheaper LED bulbs without filters can introduce interference into the system though,  which may affect CANbus data transfer, so some CANbus compatible bulbs can have extra filtering in them as well as a resistor.

Interesting piece

http://blog.ecobd2.com/tech-support/automotive-can-bus-system-explained-instruction-diagnosis/
I remember my old Clio wirings...
Black wire  = earth or negative pole.
Red wire  = +12v directly connected to battery
Yellow wire = +12v aftet ignition
Couple of crossed wires = CAN-H and CAN-L data cables.
I found a TPMS ECU for Renault Clio, put it under the passenger seat and made a power+data cable with a sort of rj45 plug to connect it with the car: cut and solder black and yellow wire, cut and solder two other cables from a couple of crossed can cables. After a reconfiguration, it worked fine...
To me it's strange to hear that in new cars power cables are electrically checked by canbus: surely if you touch a canbus data cable the car will show lots of alarms, but +12v cables, mmmhhh.

jazzaro

• Approved Member
« Reply #19 on: September 08, 2020, 04:23:29 PM »

Here there is the installation manual of a electric towbar wiring kit, you should find where to plug a wire to gain +12v.
http://catalogue.ecs-electronics.nl/?search=HN-737-DX
HondaKarma posted the fitting manual for the footlight, with some pictures of the fusebox and where to plug the connector (where is hondakarma?)
« Last Edit: September 10, 2020, 04:25:31 PM by jazzaro »

Kremmen

• Approved Member
  • Civinfo interloper
  • Fuel economy:
« Reply #20 on: September 08, 2020, 04:42:51 PM »
Steve_m has given me the solution I was looking for so the new Jazz is back on my next car list.

I can understand a modern canbus detecting a piggyback and protecting itself from overload. The option connector is just that, a separate area of the fusebox for just what the dashcam query relates to, adding an optional accessory.

Getting the correct plug is another matter, the Civic ones come from a Japanese third party reseller. However, it should be possible to use shielded 2mm crimp connectors on the pins ala Civic till the plug can be sourced.

BigRon

• Topic Starter
  • Approved Member
« Reply #21 on: September 08, 2020, 05:28:25 PM »

Here there is the installation manual of a electric towbar wiring kit, you should find where to plug a wire to gain +12v.

HondaKarma posted the fitting manual for the footlight, with some pictures of the fusebox and where to plug the connector (where is hondakarma?)

Tried to log onto HondaKarma but there appears to be a problem, parent company seems to have gone into administration, do you have a copy the fitting manual for the footlight and pictures of the fusebox.

Kremmen

• Approved Member
  • Civinfo interloper
  • Fuel economy:
« Reply #22 on: September 08, 2020, 05:56:36 PM »
The footlights would need a pin that becomes live when the doors are open and the Jazz option connector only has 4 pins as listed by Steve_m

For a dashcam you ideally need the ignition + supply as the acc + supply can be a quick make/break connection when the starter motor kicks in which often confuses them.

I'm not intending to change till at least March so plenty of time to wait for more info.

jazzaro

• Approved Member
« Reply #23 on: September 10, 2020, 09:43:56 AM »
do you have a copy the fitting manual for the footlight and pictures of the fusebox.
yep.
Give me your email address by pm and I will send it.

Kremmen

• Approved Member
  • Civinfo interloper
  • Fuel economy:
« Reply #24 on: September 10, 2020, 11:57:44 AM »
If I can get a picture of the fusebox I can check with the Honda third party supplier whether they do the option connector.

He thinks that it may be identical to the latest CRV option connector that is also a 4 pin job.

jazzaro

• Approved Member
« Reply #25 on: September 10, 2020, 04:32:41 PM »
This connector is used to feed +12v to the trailer blinkers ecu on a 1.3 GK. Unfortunately there is no code...
« Last Edit: September 14, 2020, 04:34:56 PM by jazzaro »

Kremmen

• Approved Member
  • Civinfo interloper
  • Fuel economy:
« Reply #26 on: September 10, 2020, 05:58:52 PM »
I reckon it's that socket to the left of the one used in that image. That one looks like a 4 pin.

I need a photo to send off to get his guess.

Given the MK4 is fairly new I don't suppose many have had time to do a contortion act with a  camera yet. Something like my photo above but with the socket empty would be perfect.

jazzaro

• Approved Member
« Reply #27 on: September 11, 2020, 09:23:47 AM »

Given the MK4 is fairly new I don't suppose many have had time to do a contortion act with a  camera yet. Something like my photo above but with the socket empty would be perfect.
Ya, I will provide it ASAP.

BigRon

• Topic Starter
  • Approved Member
« Reply #28 on: September 11, 2020, 01:50:09 PM »
Still haven't heard back from the autoelectrian who advised that there would be a problem with the CANbus system when connecting to a free fuse slot in the fusebox even though I called him at the start of this week.

Found by accident another autoelectrician company locally who basically say the fist autoelectrician is talking a load of b****.

Here's part of one of their emails;-

There should never be a problem with a dash camera installation affecting any network in the vehicle, whether that be CANBus or LINbus - wiring a 12V accessory (any accessory) into the vehicles fuse box either off an empty fuse slot or a non safety critical fuse slot using fuse adaptors should never cause any interference to anything but DAB - CANbus is a method of system communication between modules in a vehicle, it's not something you wire a dash camera into. Why would taking a 12V power feed and finding an earth interfere with CAN? Probably a question to ask your auto electrician, would be interested to know the answer he/she has in response to that. As with anything, if there is any problems, no customer leaves until they are completely happy.

Going to contact them next week to arrange a time and date for installation, they also do a mobile service.

Steve_M

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2024 Jazz Crosstar e:HEV
« Reply #29 on: September 11, 2020, 02:51:38 PM »
Connect at the Option connector A in this image - It is a 4 pin connector in the front face of the underdash fusebox, right hand side above the fuses.
Pin 1 is a battery +supply (need to put a suitable sized fuse in position 36 of fusebox (15A))
Pin 2 is Reverse +supply
Pin 3 is Acc position +supply
Pin 4 is Ignition +supply

Tags: