Author Topic: High milage problems?  (Read 1283 times)

ricksatluz

• Registered Member
  • My Honda: 1.4 sport
High milage problems?
« on: December 14, 2019, 11:22:27 AM »
I'm considering the purchase of a 54 plate 1.4 i-DSI SE Sport 5dr with 160k it's a one lady owner. It's on sale for 950? It has a full history, but still on the original clutch? Should I be worried? And what other faults should I be aware of.
Thanks in anticipation
Eric

sparky Paul

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2015 GG6 Jazz EX 1.4 I-VTEC / 2008 GE3 Jazz SE 1.4 i-DSI
Re: High milage problems?
« Reply #1 on: December 14, 2019, 12:42:07 PM »
Our mk1 Jazz we passed on to our daughter has done over 170K, if it sounds and drives alright, I wouldn't be too worried mechanically. Full history is nice, ours came with a box file full of receipts, lovely. Check previous mot history here

https://www.check-mot.service.gov.uk

for anything suspicious, and look underneath if you can to see how bad the rust is, and it will be rusty at that age. Jazzes are pretty bomb-proof mechanically, but make sure the ABS warning light comes on with the ignition and goes out, listen out for droning rear wheel bearings, and whining coming from the gearbox as they are prone to gearbox input shaft bearing failure. Dip the clutch in neutral, and listen for whining or rumbling when you lift the clutch.

Ours had a clutch around 110K miles, but it was a driving school car for the first 100K, so that's not really representative. It's all down to driving styles, a clutch can last the car out with a careful driver.

Try to get the price down, 950 is a bit steep around here for a 54 plate with 160K on it.

culzean

• Approved Member
« Reply #2 on: December 14, 2019, 12:56:11 PM »
You are safer buying a Honda that age and mileage than many other vehicles,  there are plenty threads on here about older Jazzes and what problems to look out for - do a search for 'high mileage'  in 'Jazz 2002-2008 ' section...

here is just one result of many..

https://clubjazz.org/forum/index.php?topic=9220.msg49052#msg49052

Whining gearbox, especially in lower gears, Rear wheel bearings grumbling, rear brake pipe corrosion ( steel pipes on rear torsion beam ) and water in boot / wheel well due to failed roof seam sealer, are some problems.

Oh - and just recently having the CAT stolen on MK1 seems to be a hazard,  as they are easy to get to and have lots of expensive metals in them,  unlike newer CATs
« Last Edit: December 14, 2019, 01:04:51 PM by culzean »
Some people will only consider you an expert if they agree with your point of view or advice,  when you give them advice they don't like they consider you an idiot

degzi

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: Gd1
« Reply #3 on: December 15, 2019, 08:54:50 PM »
Mines on 128,000. My gearbox has been whining since about 90,000. Only annoying in 1st and 2nd if I go over 2k revs.

Also have a listen for any suspension noises, not too expensive to sort but there all the same.

I reckon £950 is a bit rich too.

olduser1

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: Jazz EX 2015 CVT Elite Pack
« Reply #4 on: December 16, 2019, 06:43:44 PM »
At that age/mileage its all about condition. Have you looked at the MOT history on the govt website?
What are the tyres wheels like all the same recognised make?
Ask the owner why selling , if your happy offer £600 cash

mrushton

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: Jazz SE
« Reply #5 on: January 02, 2020, 02:50:28 PM »
My 02 died in December with a collapsing rear axle. Corroded from the inside possibly as the mot in March didn't show anything. 131k on the odometer

Tags: