Author Topic: issues with valve gaps on new car  (Read 1798 times)

monkeydave

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 68 Plate Jazz S White Orchid Pearl
issues with valve gaps on new car
« on: November 19, 2019, 11:43:13 PM »
has anyone else had any issues with one or more noisy valves from the factory that needed adjustment

as you may know i have issues with what appears to be a noisy exhaust valve tap on number one cylinder which when up to full temp still has a slight noise to it (after i investigated it more)

i noticed the warm noise when the car was new and thought it was normal

the cold noise is coming from the back of the engine at the top (it starts after a few minuites of engine running) which is probably the cam lobe and when warm that noise completely goes away at the back of the engine and the new noise is there if you listen near number one cylinder coil pack

thanks

Kenneve

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2023 Jazz Advance e-HEV, Red
Re: issues with valve gaps on new car
« Reply #1 on: November 20, 2019, 10:05:53 AM »
I don't know whether we are talking about a similar thing, but I am aware of a 'power noise' when under high load.
This is my 4th EX and I find it somewhat mechanically noisier under load than the previous cars.
This is not to say I feel there is anything wrong with it, when cruising at 60+ the engine can't be heard above other, noises, wind/tyre etc.
I guess it's maybe a software change in the engine management system, certainly performance and fuel consumption can't be faulted. (mostly on the plus side of 50mpg, indicated)

monkeydave

• Topic Starter
  • Approved Member
« Reply #2 on: November 20, 2019, 12:39:43 PM »
I don't know whether we are talking about a similar thing, but I am aware of a 'power noise' when under high load.
This is my 4th EX and I find it somewhat mechanically noisier under load than the previous cars.
This is not to say I feel there is anything wrong with it, when cruising at 60+ the engine can't be heard above other, noises, wind/tyre etc.
I guess it's maybe a software change in the engine management system, certainly performance and fuel consumption can't be faulted. (mostly on the plus side of 50mpg, indicated)

thanks for your reply

no under load it is ok, it is at cold tickover the noise is and then it goes down to a noise that i thought was from the belts but while filming it is coming from around the number one cylinder coil pak area, prob the top of the valve with still a too big a gap when hot, but the cold clack noise from the back of the top of the engine is totally gone when hot

it is like others on here have said the temp makes the different metals expand at different speeds

i need to put on a video to explain what the hot noise is really, it isnt really loud but sounds like a slightly too big a gap even when hot so a big gap when cold

i have never experience this from a new car that is set up from the factory   

Jocko

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
  • My Honda: Died from rust.
« Reply #3 on: November 20, 2019, 01:13:05 PM »
it is coming from around the number one cylinder coil pak area
Is this not the same area as the camshaft drive chain, which also creates noise until it is warmed up.

monkeydave

• Topic Starter
  • Approved Member
« Reply #4 on: November 20, 2019, 02:36:33 PM »
it is coming from around the number one cylinder coil pak area
Is this not the same area as the camshaft drive chain, which also creates noise until it is warmed up.

thanks for your reply ]

yeah that side where the oil cap is and timing chain but the cold noise is a tap and not a chain noise

the noise doesnt start right away, maybe after a couple of mins driving or longer at tickover. it does sound like the lobe going round hitting the rocker arm and then goes completely away when warm, then the warm noise starts at the coil pack area which sounds like the other side of the rocker arm very quietly tapping the top of the valve with a gap still too big when hot just on one cylinder as the other three are as i would expect them to sound

im just a bit worried about the lobe being bashed, but if it is set at the factory it should be perfect and does sound ok when warm

i have had the warm noise since the car was new, but only notice the cold noise a week after the service in september when the weather started to go cold, i never owned the car last winter just from march 2019, it was 6 months old but with 16 miles as a pre reg car

the reason why im hessitant to get them to do something is that it will be an overnight and my dealer is 50 miles away and i have heared stories of it sounding worse after adjustment

to be honest the noise might have always been there but goes away in hotter weather quicker

« Last Edit: November 20, 2019, 02:40:59 PM by monkeydave »

Jocko

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
« Reply #5 on: November 20, 2019, 04:08:20 PM »
As I said earlier, my engine starts quiet, then after a mile or so the tappets are clearly evident, then as the engine warms it goes quiet again. It doesn't worry me, but there again my engine has done 122,000 miles, not nearly new.

monkeydave

• Topic Starter
  • Approved Member
« Reply #6 on: November 20, 2019, 04:46:44 PM »
As I said earlier, my engine starts quiet, then after a mile or so the tappets are clearly evident, then as the engine warms it goes quiet again. It doesn't worry me, but there again my engine has done 122,000 miles, not nearly new.

thanks

if i get a chance over my xmas holidays i might pop in with my video to see what the mechanic thinks, it is only loud if you are stood outside you have to listen carefully from inside the car and if you got the fan on 1 speed no chance and it goes away so may be what you said that the engine heats up and it is designed to run at hot temps which it does
« Last Edit: November 20, 2019, 04:49:25 PM by monkeydave »

monkeydave

• Topic Starter
  • Approved Member
« Reply #7 on: November 23, 2019, 09:22:38 PM »
as this post has been up for a whilte can i take it that no one has had any issues with valves, cam lobes etc being out of spec from factory when you got your new car or a car that hasnt been messed with since factory?

thanks guys

« Last Edit: November 24, 2019, 07:14:27 PM by monkeydave »

RayS

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2018 Jazz 1.3 SE
« Reply #8 on: November 23, 2019, 09:33:24 PM »
Over on the Fit Freak forum, they seem to be experiencing issues with the VTC Actuator.
I've not read any reports over here about it.

monkeydave

• Topic Starter
  • Approved Member
« Reply #9 on: November 23, 2019, 09:49:50 PM »
Over on the Fit Freak forum, they seem to be experiencing issues with the VTC Actuator.
I've not read any reports over here about it.

thanks, my actuator is ok

monkeydave

• Topic Starter
  • Approved Member
« Reply #10 on: December 15, 2019, 01:17:38 AM »
update on tapping problem

i went to the dealers to pick up my loaner so they could see my car on monday cold engine and i took the loaner car out for a mile and took a video and the tapping noise was there at the same places as mine, as it only had 340 miles on it and mine has 6500 miles so it hasn't loosened up and had its first oil change the sound wasn't as loud, (but nearly as loud) it was the same tapping noise in the same locations at the back of the engine so i took the car back and got to speak to the mechanic so all is ok and so it is true that the mk3 is a noisier engine than the mk2 and i am relieved that my exhaust cam lobe isnt being damaged. 

out of all the different brands of cars i have had the honda after sales has been the best and most profesional i have encountered, including vw and toyota. this is with cox group but i have also used swansway honda in the past with my 3 honda cars, it is just a shame that the next jazz is hybrid only and wont have a 1.3 six speed option

also thanks to all who helped with this issue

Jocko

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
« Reply #11 on: December 15, 2019, 09:22:14 AM »
Glad your mind's been put at rest.

jazzaro

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: GK3 Jazz 1.3 6m Elegance Navi grey.
« Reply #12 on: December 15, 2019, 02:58:39 PM »
 A couple of weeks ago I changed oil and filter, moving from the 5w30 Castrol for Honda  to a 0w20 Liquimoly. I was worried about an increase of the noise, but I can say now the engine is quieter.

Tags: