Author Topic: Autonomous vehicles.  (Read 53554 times)

Jocko

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
  • My Honda: Died from rust.
Autonomous vehicles.
« on: November 17, 2017, 07:43:06 AM »
Volvo has unveiled its self driving truck prototype.
http://www.chinadaily.com.cn/bizchina/motoring/2017-11/17/content_34638451.htm

Jocko

• Topic Starter
  • Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
Re: Autonomous vehicles.
« Reply #1 on: November 19, 2017, 10:37:58 AM »
So the government is supposedly going to make an announcement in the budget allowing the testing of driverless vehicles in the UK, with a view to having the first cars on the road by 2021. Should be interesting.
Jeremy Clarkson has got in on the show with reports he was nearly killed twice by driverless cars making major mistakes, and he had to take over. Sounds like he is talking about Tesla on Autopilot. A system we all know is flawed.
Wasn't Clarkson the guy who did a report for Top Gear on the Tesla and said the battery died on him before it reached its indicated range? Then Tesla picked it up and drove it back to their headquarters?

culzean

• Approved Member
« Reply #2 on: November 19, 2017, 03:23:32 PM »
Wasn't Clarkson the guy who did a report for Top Gear on the Tesla and said the battery died on him before it reached its indicated range? Then Tesla picked it up and drove it back to their headquarters?

There is 40 to 50% of a BEV battery that is not available for normal use, this is reserved for future use to maintain range as the battery efficiency drops, Clarkson may well have run out of 'normal' battery but the Tesla Techs used their laptop or dongle to access enough 'unavailable' capacity to get the car home.
Some people will only consider you an expert if they agree with your point of view or advice,  when you give them advice they don't like they consider you an idiot

Jocko

• Topic Starter
  • Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
« Reply #3 on: November 19, 2017, 03:28:45 PM »
May well have done.

Jocko

• Topic Starter
  • Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
« Reply #4 on: November 21, 2017, 06:04:29 AM »
Uber has struck a deal to buy up to 24,000 self-driving cars from Volvo.
The agreement envisages that the pick-up service will purchase the vehicles over the course of three years beginning in 2019.
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-42055841

guest7246

« Reply #5 on: November 21, 2017, 07:08:01 AM »
 8) Clarkson is (amongst other things ;) ) a `petrol-head` & was probably bribed by the oil companies to slag off leccy motors.  ::)

culzean

• Approved Member
« Reply #6 on: November 21, 2017, 09:53:43 AM »
Uber has struck a deal to buy up to 24,000 self-driving cars from Volvo.
The agreement envisages that the pick-up service will purchase the vehicles over the course of three years beginning in 2019.
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-42055841

They will also need to get 100,000+ 'safety drivers' from somewhere...............if they want to run cars 24/7
« Last Edit: November 21, 2017, 10:14:49 AM by culzean »
Some people will only consider you an expert if they agree with your point of view or advice,  when you give them advice they don't like they consider you an idiot

sparky Paul

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2015 GG6 Jazz EX 1.4 I-VTEC / 2008 GE3 Jazz SE 1.4 i-DSI
« Reply #7 on: November 21, 2017, 10:16:02 AM »
I think uber expect that things will have moved on by 2019. Whilst this might sound extremely optimistic, it would not surprise me to see true level 5 cars appearing sooner than you might think.

When it comes to accidents, it is inevitable that autonomous cars are bound to make mistakes, and those mistakes could inevitably lead to fatalities. However, there are bound to be upsides, and I think back to my recent near-death experience... I met a car doing 60mph on the wrong side of the road, just over the brow of a hill, overtaking a lorry on double white lines. Would an autonomous vehicle have made the errors this driver did? I think probably not.

The question is, how many deaths will the public accept? One fatality per 100 million miles? Or will the idea that lives are placed in the hands of a machine be unacceptable?

culzean

• Approved Member
« Reply #8 on: November 21, 2017, 11:01:59 AM »
I was reading a write-up about digital 3D mapping and how the autonomous cars kept swerving at a certain point on the road every time,  turned out there was one pixel on the map that was wrong and the vehicle saw it as an obstacle several feet high.  Now that is frightening that one solitary pixel out of the billions required on the map could cause that. Driver error will be replaced by programing / software errors,  this stuff will be much more complicated and resource hungry that MS Windows,  and we all know the problems and continuous patching that needs.

To be good enough for auto cars digital maps have to be enormously detailed,  and would need updating daily or better to account for changes in the area.

Jocko

• Topic Starter
  • Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
« Reply #9 on: November 21, 2017, 01:46:08 PM »
I was reading a write-up about digital 3D mapping and how the autonomous cars kept swerving at a certain point on the road every time,  turned out there was one pixel on the map that was wrong and the vehicle saw it as an obstacle several feet high.
Would you care to link to that article?

Jocko

• Topic Starter
  • Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
« Reply #10 on: November 21, 2017, 02:00:42 PM »
I see Brake has called for Anti Speeding systems to be fitted to all new cars.
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-42051612

culzean

• Approved Member
« Reply #11 on: November 21, 2017, 03:23:33 PM »
I was reading a write-up about digital 3D mapping and how the autonomous cars kept swerving at a certain point on the road every time,  turned out there was one pixel on the map that was wrong and the vehicle saw it as an obstacle several feet high.
Would you care to link to that article?

http://money.cnn.com/2017/06/07/technology/business/maps-wars-self-driving-cars/index.html

culzean

• Approved Member
« Reply #12 on: November 21, 2017, 03:46:54 PM »

I am more than happy with their proposal,  people even speed on crowded supermarket carparks,  it makes me angry when people roar down the narrow aisle between parked cars at 40mph. Even on narrow roads on our housing estate (which is a 30 limit but should be 20) with dogs and children around people still sit on my bumper when i drive at 20,  and guess what they are mainly parents who would jump up and down and want a 'speeding' driver given a life sentence if one of their kids was hit by a car.

I would also be happy for a device to be fitted to cars that blocked anything but 999 calls when the vehicle was moving.  People will say 'but what if it is a passenger making the call',  its tough but until drivers can be trusted not to distract themselves from driving with phone calls and texts and continue to kill and maim innocent people well so be it.

Jocko

• Topic Starter
  • Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
« Reply #13 on: November 21, 2017, 04:38:37 PM »

I am more than happy with their proposal,  people even speed on crowded supermarket carparks,  it makes me angry when people roar down the narrow aisle between parked cars at 40mph. Even on narrow roads on our housing estate (which is a 30 limit but should be 20) with dogs and children around people still sit on my bumper when i drive at 20,  and guess what they are mainly parents who would jump up and down and want a 'speeding' driver given a life sentence if one of their kids was hit by a car.

I would also be happy for a device to be fitted to cars that blocked anything but 999 calls when the vehicle was moving.  People will say 'but what if it is a passenger making the call',  its tough but until drivers can be trusted not to distract themselves from driving with phone calls and texts and continue to kill and maim innocent people well so be it.
I agree wholeheartedly with this. We have huge areas around here with 20 mph speed limits (the centre of Edinburgh is all 20 now, and being extended month on month). My nephew booked a driver doing 23 in a 20. He stopped him to point out the error of his ways. The guy, a resident of the road, started getting lippy, even when it was explained to him that the residents had petitioned to have a 20 mph limit put in place. As the mouthiness continued my nephew decided to book him and let the court decide. The guy paid his fixed penalty fine!
I would block all phone calls from cars. Unless the ignition is off. They block mobile phones in some hotels.

madasafish

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 1.4 ES CVT -2012
« Reply #14 on: November 21, 2017, 05:06:04 PM »
In 2016 there were 191 road deaths in Scotland  (10.6% of Total)
http://www.gov.scot/About/Performance/scotPerforms/indicator/roaddeaths
In 2016 there were  1792 road deaths in Total in the  UK..  https://www.gov.uk/government/uploads/system/uploads/attachment_data/file/648081/rrcgb2016-01.pdf

In 2016 The UK population was 63,785,900.
The population of Scotland was 5,404,700  (8.47% of Total.)
https://www.ons.gov.uk/peoplepopulationandcommunity/populationandmigration/populationestimates

And teh concluision is: Scots are worse drivers on average.. :-)

Tags: