Author Topic: Electric cars  (Read 764062 times)

Jocko

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
  • My Honda: Died from rust.
Re: Electric cars
« Reply #2205 on: May 11, 2021, 08:06:27 PM »
A guy who used to work beside me had a CRX with the registration number H15 CRX.

E27006

• Approved Member
« Reply #2206 on: May 11, 2021, 08:54:21 PM »
Honda made some crazy stuff in the early 2000s. My neighbour has a CR-Z - probably the kind of thing I would have bought in 2010 had I not been a poor graduate.

There’s a CR-Z on the business park where I work, it’s definitely different looking… no idea what they’re like to own and drive.
The battery pack is trouble-free, and the hybrid drive is over-engineered, so a used CRZ may be a decent S?H purchase

culzean

• Approved Member
« Reply #2207 on: May 13, 2021, 09:46:47 AM »
New Lead - carbon batteries look promising, still heavier than Li-Ion but with many advantages and a big advance on conventional lead-acid. Obviously lead batteries are easy to recycle.

https://batteryuniversity.com/learn/article/new_lead_acid_systems

Some people will only consider you an expert if they agree with your point of view or advice,  when you give them advice they don't like they consider you an idiot

E27006

• Approved Member
« Reply #2208 on: May 14, 2021, 11:58:19 AM »
I wonder how the real cost of the charging compares with petrol? A 100kWh battery would cost £15 to £20 to fully charge at current domestic tariffs. Free / subsidised charging will disappear as the number of electric vehicles increases.

Hybrid has a lot of potential as (i) there's the recovery of energy lost to braking and (ii) it allows the engine to spend more of its time operating under the most efficient conditions. Honda's Mk 2 Jazz hybrid was a bit half baked as both the battery (a heavy lead acid lump) and motor/generator were of limited capacity. A hybrid version of the Mk 3 Jazz is sold in some parts of the world but not here.

Are you sure about the lead acid traction battery?  Honda used exclusively  Nickel Metal hydride batteries, then Lithium ion starting with the CRZ, though early CRz cars had  Nickel metal hydride

springswood

• Bob the Jazz
  • Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
  • My Honda: Mk1 Jazz GE3 1.4 Sport 2008
« Reply #2209 on: May 15, 2021, 08:38:19 AM »
I've seen a Japanese import of one of the Mk3 hybrid Jazzes (actually a Fit) on AutoTrader. The mpg and power figures looked good. I wonder how problematical servicing, repairs and parts in the UK would be as I'm quite tempted.
"Indecision is a terrible thing"
Or is it? What do you think?

madasafish

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 1.4 ES CVT -2012
« Reply #2210 on: May 19, 2021, 06:10:22 AM »
"UK 'lacks clear plan' to phase out petrol and diesel cars as charge points remain a postcode lottery
Some local authorities, particularly in London, are well-served with charge points but others are falling behind."

https://news.sky.com/story/uk-lacks-clear-plan-to-phase-out-petrol-and-diesel-cars-as-charge-points-remain-a-postcode-lottery-12310366

swhull

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: Honda Jazz Si 1.4 i-vtec
« Reply #2211 on: May 19, 2021, 06:31:51 AM »
Your average person with no off street parking and used to buying used cars under a few grand isn’t going to be rushing to go electric anytime soon. It’s a bit pie in the sky this 2030 target, let’s hit the motorist and never mind aviation or shipping, their fossil fuel consumption is acceptable. The amount of on street charging points needed is going to be bonkers, never going to happen, will take a hundred years to get the infrastructure in place. People can’t afford to make the switch, and add to that the gas boiler ban they talk about, that’s more cost to homeowners, not everyone has a spare 20 grand down the back of their financed scs sofa.

JimSh

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2014 Honda Jazz ES Plus
« Reply #2212 on: May 19, 2021, 09:40:18 AM »
"UK 'lacks clear plan'

Nuff said.

Fear not, the blond Baldrick will come up with another three word slogan.

ColinB

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2015 Jazz 1.3 SE manual in Milano Red
« Reply #2213 on: May 19, 2021, 10:24:19 AM »
"UK 'lacks clear plan'

Nuff said.

I think the cunning plan is that currently-unproven technology will magically solve the problem, therefore BoJo won't have to actually do anything apart from claim the credit. For example:
https://www.theguardian.com/environment/2021/jan/19/electric-car-batteries-race-ahead-with-five-minute-charging-times

guest4871

• Topic Starter
« Reply #2214 on: May 19, 2021, 10:42:01 AM »
I have worked out that I contribute one hundredth million of one percent to CO2 emissions and I am being asked to make that fifty millionth of one percent.

To do that I have, at least, to eat flies to "save the planet".

Is that a world really worth anyone living in?

Kenneve

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2023 Jazz Advance e-HEV, Red
« Reply #2215 on: May 19, 2021, 10:49:35 AM »
My Mk4 Jazz has a electric motor rated at 80Kw.
Honda quote the battery voltage as 173 volts, so the current required for that power output amounts to 462 amps. (unless I've got it wrong)
Now I know the average battery capacity of an E-car is in the order of 35-40Kw.
If they are going to be fully charged in 5 min, then what sort of current is required?

madasafish

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 1.4 ES CVT -2012
« Reply #2216 on: May 19, 2021, 11:02:12 AM »
All electric cars charging in 5 minutes on a Friday night will cause patrts of  the Grid to shutdown for its own safety.Especially before Bank Holidays.

And then take two days to reset as many chargers will be left connected.

Oh that's why we have Smart Meters..just disconnect the areas with fast chargers.
(London goes dark)  :P

JimSh

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2014 Honda Jazz ES Plus
« Reply #2217 on: May 19, 2021, 11:11:30 AM »
I have worked out that I contribute one hundredth million of one percent to CO2 emissions and I am being asked to make that fifty millionth of one percent.

To do that I have, at least, to eat flies to "save the planet".

Is that a world really worth anyone living in?

Could you show your working please?

I would think it would be relatively easy for people in the western world to cut their carbon footprint in half without undue hardship. Not so for those in third world countries.

Edit Added last paragraph.
« Last Edit: May 19, 2021, 11:54:15 AM by JimSh »

springswood

• Bob the Jazz
  • Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
  • My Honda: Mk1 Jazz GE3 1.4 Sport 2008
« Reply #2218 on: May 19, 2021, 11:51:27 AM »
My Mk4 Jazz has a electric motor rated at 80Kw.
Honda quote the battery voltage as 173 volts, so the current required for that power output amounts to 462 amps. (unless I've got it wrong)
Now I know the average battery capacity of an E-car is in the order of 35-40Kw.
If they are going to be fully charged in 5 min, then what sort of current is required?

That calculation looks right to me.
For charging at 173 volts in 5 minutes I get it to 4,600 amps. 500 volts gives 1,600 amps. Scary  ???
"Indecision is a terrible thing"
Or is it? What do you think?

culzean

• Approved Member
« Reply #2219 on: May 19, 2021, 12:01:12 PM »
"UK 'lacks clear plan'

Nuff said.

I think the cunning plan is that currently-unproven technology will magically solve the problem, therefore BoJo won't have to actually do anything apart from claim the credit. For example:
https://www.theguardian.com/environment/2021/jan/19/electric-car-batteries-race-ahead-with-five-minute-charging-times

The technology to solve all the problems is always 'just around the corner' - trouble is when you get to that corner there is nothing there, so you wait for the next corner---- ad infinitum. Politicians are good at making vast expansive claims ( or should that be vastly expensive ? ) without blinking, often their thought process is no deeper than the average carpark puddle.
« Last Edit: May 19, 2021, 12:09:58 PM by culzean »
Some people will only consider you an expert if they agree with your point of view or advice,  when you give them advice they don't like they consider you an idiot

Tags:

anything