Author Topic: Urgent advice  (Read 6344 times)

MaxFrames

• Approved Member
  • Jazzman since 2004
  • My Honda: Mk I (2004) Honda Jazz 1.2 i-DSi S - manual transmission - Ice Blue Metallic
Urgent advice
« on: March 26, 2016, 02:39:07 PM »
I am on a short trip and the engine suddenly is noisy and vibrating when idle. If the engine is hot after a climbing stint it dies at idle. Most likely cause? Do you think it could die when we are running also? I am concerned
« Last Edit: March 29, 2016, 07:42:23 AM by MaxFrames »
At stake.

JRHPNG

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2009 Honda Jazz Sport 1.5 (The Hondarari)
Re: Urgente advice
« Reply #1 on: March 26, 2016, 02:45:45 PM »
Any other symptoms? Oil and water ok?
You only live once - Enjoy your life...

MaxFrames

• Topic Starter
  • Approved Member
  • Jazzman since 2004
  • My Honda: Mk I (2004) Honda Jazz 1.2 i-DSi S - manual transmission - Ice Blue Metallic
« Reply #2 on: March 26, 2016, 03:03:42 PM »
No warning lights.oil ok. Water also ok i think. New spark plugs. Egr duct cleaned a month ago
At stake.

MaxFrames

• Topic Starter
  • Approved Member
  • Jazzman since 2004
« Reply #3 on: March 26, 2016, 05:46:12 PM »
So, no suggestions? This will be the last voyage anyway for my Jazz. She ran without a glitch for 11 years (which is impressive) but on the other hand for less than 100000 KMs, which is appallingly sub par, and the two things kind of balance so in the end it's a MEH. Too many problems now to keep it running, and my next car will not be a Jazz (too underpowered and small for my current needs, and I don't particularly dig the aesthetics and the electronic galore ). Let's just hope the last trip will not end on a tow truck's tail. 😔
At stake.

JRHPNG

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2009 Honda Jazz Sport 1.5 (The Hondarari)
« Reply #4 on: March 26, 2016, 06:54:42 PM »
Wondering if it's a coil pack, sometimes new plugs can make that worse?

Hard to diagnose not being there.

On the other hand, our Jazz has 215000km and has never had an issue.
You only live once - Enjoy your life...

guest5589

« Reply #5 on: March 26, 2016, 08:15:51 PM »
I am on a short trip and thè engine suddenly is noisy and vibrating when idle. If the engine is hot after a climbing stint it dies at idle. Most likely cause? Do you think it could die when we are running also? I am concerned

Dying at idle would usually point to faulty ICV. I had a Yaris that wouldnt hold revs turned out that there was air in the system causing issues. How is figured it out was heater was not working either.  Once I got the air out of coolant it ran fine.

Fixing that fixed idle, heater and overheating

MaxFrames

• Topic Starter
  • Approved Member
  • Jazzman since 2004
« Reply #6 on: March 26, 2016, 08:28:45 PM »
What is ICV? I'm no good with acronyms
At stake.

guest5589

« Reply #7 on: March 27, 2016, 02:23:53 AM »
Idle control valve. It is a valve on throttle body that lets air bypass the closed throttle plate in order to supply the engine with enough air to keep idling.. Do you know if your Jazz has electronic throttle or is there a physical cable going to it?

This will help you locate it
http://www.hondafitjazz.com/manual/A00/HTML/97/SAA2E97A20336100000DAAT00.HTML

MaxFrames

• Topic Starter
  • Approved Member
  • Jazzman since 2004
« Reply #8 on: March 27, 2016, 10:55:54 AM »
Can this explain why it seems to only do that after a long climb (though it feels rougher generally when starting in first gear)?
At stake.

MaxFrames

• Topic Starter
  • Approved Member
  • Jazzman since 2004
Re: Urgent advice
« Reply #9 on: March 29, 2016, 07:45:40 AM »
We made it home without further inconveniences. I can confirm that the issue occurs _only_ after a long climb. There's always a noticeable vibrating noise from the front at idle anyway, whereas it once used to be dead silent (to the point that I was left wondering if the engine was running at all). I hope this can narrow the troubleshooting. I will have to take the car to a mechanic... again (third time in two months) but the writing is on the wall at this point. Too bad, I was hoping the Honda would beat my record (13 years) which still belongs to my old Fiat Uno.
« Last Edit: March 29, 2016, 07:47:45 AM by MaxFrames »
At stake.

guest5589

« Reply #10 on: March 29, 2016, 10:27:14 AM »
We made it home without further inconveniences. I can confirm that the issue occurs _only_ after a long climb. There's always a noticeable vibrating noise from the front at idle anyway, whereas it once used to be dead silent (to the point that I was left wondering if the engine was running at all). I hope this can narrow the troubleshooting. I will have to take the car to a mechanic... again (third time in two months) but the writing is on the wall at this point. Too bad, I was hoping the Honda would beat my record (13 years) which still belongs to my old Fiat Uno.

I don't know but that doesn't sound like the car is about to die. Mechanical / Electronic bits do go wrong and if your mechanic is any good he might figure it out quickly. Get the ICV and cooling system checked first.

MaxFrames

• Topic Starter
  • Approved Member
  • Jazzman since 2004
« Reply #11 on: March 29, 2016, 10:56:26 AM »
I agree it may be nothing too serious, but it's got to the point that I wonder what will fail next, after the recent streak of issues, and usually when this happens you know it's time to buy a new car.
At stake.

guest5589

« Reply #12 on: March 29, 2016, 02:45:29 PM »
I agree it may be nothing too serious, but it's got to the point that I wonder what will fail next, after the recent streak of issues, and usually when this happens you know it's time to buy a new car.

shame that it is giving you so much trouble. How many miles has your done? I have seen a few GDs for sale with  200,000+ miles while there seems to be an endless supply of ones with 110 - 150,000 miles so I am at peace with my one which is currently at 98k. Yes it is an old car, yes I had to change the exhaust and rear bearings but any old car will ask for these so don't really think much.

MaxFrames

• Topic Starter
  • Approved Member
  • Jazzman since 2004
« Reply #13 on: March 29, 2016, 06:16:35 PM »
I would really like to keep her on the road if only I could identify this problem as nothing serious.
The problem is I've been to two mechanics today (one independent, one Honda official) and both were puzzled.
The first mechanic pulled out a diagnostic interface which came up with a single error, related to the barometric pressure sensor. According to the second mechanic, this could imply a faulty ECU (since it appears that the barometric pressure sensor is embedded in it) which would mean big bucks. On the other hand, if the problem was some other (external) sensor, the figures would decrease tenfold.
What do you think, could it really be the barometric pressure sensor and is it really embedded in the ECU? It could be it, because it makes sense that the problem only occurs after a long uphill run, the problem might well be the altitude and faulty readings of this sensor could cause the idle circuit to go off balance.
At stake.

MaxFrames

• Topic Starter
  • Approved Member
  • Jazzman since 2004
« Reply #14 on: April 11, 2016, 07:16:35 PM »
The issue did not occur again, but the idle is _definitely_ different than it used to be. The car vibrates a lot more, and is noisier, at idle. I think the noise comes from the vibrations though, not directly from the engine.
At stake.

Tags: