Author Topic: CVT Gearbox 7 Speed & Manual.  (Read 7036 times)

VicW

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 07 Plate Civic 1.8 i-Shift.
CVT Gearbox 7 Speed & Manual.
« on: June 23, 2012, 03:21:39 PM »
As we know the CVT gearbox has alternative functions,the 7 speed and manual options.
As far I am concerned they are both pointless options whose cost could have been spent elsewhere.
By its very nature a Constant Velocity Transmission (CVT) is stepless so why have a 7 speed,stepped option?
The manual,paddle selected option is fine on a sports car but a Jazz is hardly a sporting,boy racers car is it?
If you select 7 speed it has the same effect on the gear change points as selecting Sport mode so why not just select Sport mode and retain the stepless gear change?
I admit to using these two options now and again just to check that they still work.
Does anybody use them all the time?

Vic.
« Last Edit: June 23, 2012, 07:10:42 PM by VicW »

Ozzie

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2011 HS, 2015 HS-T, now in a VW T-Roc
Re: CVT Gearbox 7 Speed & Manual.
« Reply #1 on: June 23, 2012, 03:31:36 PM »
I totally agree, but in severe driving conditions, for example driving through flood water, you should select a low gear, ideally first gear, with plenty of revs so that theres lots of exhaust gases coming out of the exhaust so that no water can go in, but maintain a low speed so as not to creat a wake and flood the engine. Likewise driving on snow, it is best to move away in 2nd gear which would not be possible with the automatic CVT gearbox.

VicW

• Topic Starter
  • Approved Member
« Reply #2 on: June 23, 2012, 04:00:07 PM »
Good points Ozzie.
The one about manually selecting second gear for pulling away on snow etc is a good one and,of course,you can prevent the gearbox from changing up if you get wheelspin.
Driving through deep water,I think you could achieve the same by selecting 'L'.

Vic.

guest3312

« Reply #3 on: June 23, 2012, 04:11:19 PM »
Constant Velocity Gearbox (CVT)

I was under the impression that it stood for Continuously Variable Transmission.
constant=always, velocity=speed, and gearbox starts w/ a "G" ;)

We don't have the CVT over here to the best of my knowledge, but it is something I am very familiar with because it is used on every (total of 6) Honda motor scooter I've ever owned.

the CVT (if it works like mine do) changes the diameter the faster it spins, pushing a belt out wider to get a steeper ration for the "gear changes". what you get is a very smooth shift from top to bottom.
I dont know how the paddle shifters come in to play here, but assume that it merely moves the cvt into position where it would be in "4th" etc. then goes up from there.

VicW

• Topic Starter
  • Approved Member
« Reply #4 on: June 23, 2012, 07:21:38 PM »
Constantly Variable Transmission sounds more descriptive of what actually happens doesn't it?
It comprises a set of two vee pulleys that change diameter. As one gets bigger the other gets smaller hence changing the gear ratio.
Years ago I had a Daf car that had the same system but much less sophisticated.It used rubber belts not metal ones but I'm sure they called it a Constant Velocity Transmission.
I've amended my 'gearbox' error in the original post.

Vic.

Tags:

anything