Author Topic: Possibly looking to buy a Jazz  (Read 11149 times)

guest3101

Possibly looking to buy a Jazz
« on: March 01, 2012, 02:12:26 PM »
My trusty Primera is on its way out and I plan to replace it with another Oriental vehicle.
Shortlisted are the Honda Jazz and the Nissan Note.
I saw an 07 1.4 SE Auto with 17K on the clock at a dealers for £6350 .Looks very nice, although it is in pale metallic blue.Im not sure, but that may be the most granny looking of all the colours(sorry to any owners of said colour).
I have always believed Honda cars to be very reliable.Are the Auto boxes reliable? I understand that they are not like a regular Auto box?

Also, is the 1.4 powerful enough to carry 5 adults in comfort? Im not going to have to change down gears to get up a hill?

Edit: Are servicing costs reasonable?

Geoffers

• Topic Starter
Re: Possibly looking to buy a Jazz
« Reply #1 on: March 01, 2012, 05:00:34 PM »
Welcome aboard saldawop!  ;D :D ;D

VicW

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 07 Plate Civic 1.8 i-Shift.
« Reply #2 on: March 01, 2012, 07:11:13 PM »
The Jazz,like all Hondas,has an enviable reputation for reliability and that includes the auto box.
The auto box is a Constant Velocity Transmission (CVT), that is a stepless transmission without individual gears.
As to the 1.4 being suitable for carrying five adults,yes it is powerful enough but I would suggest that there is only enough room for five adults for short journeys.
As for servicing costs Honda dealer prices are probably on a par with most other makes.If you are buying it from a Honda dealer then it is wise to let them service it for the duration of the one year warranty it will come with.

Vic.

guest2867

• Topic Starter
« Reply #3 on: March 01, 2012, 08:29:17 PM »
I think the Jazz will be much more reliable than any nissan only Toyota could come close in the small car market ie Yaris.
I think the 1.4 is ok for power if you work the engine.
My father in law has a 56 plate auto and is has been trouble free from day one.

guest2898

• Topic Starter
« Reply #4 on: March 02, 2012, 08:20:24 AM »
Hi and welcome to the forum.. what the chaps say really... powerful enough easily, reliable, practical, and a great little car to drive, we are into our 3rd year with our 2002 GD jazz, its got over 104,000 miles on it now and is as good as the day we bought it.. sweet as a nut! my 59 GE jazz is the same, cracking car, i love them both... servicing is cheap enough, i am having my GE done this month for £89 fully synthetic oil, oil filter, and air filter (genuine honda parts) all the reviews i have read are 4/5 stars... good NCAP crash rating too. not that you want to crash it, but its always nice to know!! let us know how you get on... :D

guest2662

• Topic Starter
« Reply #5 on: March 02, 2012, 10:31:59 AM »
nothing wrong with a nissan note i had the 1.6 auto for 4 years no problems what soever great car.

guest2898

• Topic Starter
« Reply #6 on: March 02, 2012, 10:47:13 AM »
You would be fine with either... nissan with being japanese are proven to be very reliable, just like toyota, and the good thing about buy either a honda, nissan, toyota, you will get a nice reliabile car and you are supporting a company that builds cars in the UK...  ;) :D

guest3101

• Topic Starter
« Reply #7 on: March 02, 2012, 06:02:04 PM »
Thanks for the replies.Would a towbar put you off of looking at a car? Whenever I have bought a car I have always skipped straight past the ones with one fitted, and that would be on more powerful cars than a 1.4.

culzean

• Approved Member
« Reply #8 on: March 03, 2012, 11:22:42 AM »
I think it is a wise move to skip past any car fitted with a towbar.

A towbar on any car is bad news for clutch and gearbox and CV joints etc. - a cars drive-train is designed to cope with its own weight and not some extra unknown weight trailing behind it.

Towbars are for 4x4's and lorries!!

The Jazz will carry 5 adults no problem, but I would suggest only for short journeys. On longer trips 4 adults and a child / small adult is more like it - 1.4 I-DSi is surprisingly punchy on hills.
« Last Edit: March 03, 2012, 11:46:00 AM by culzean »
Some people will only consider you an expert if they agree with your point of view or advice,  when you give them advice they don't like they consider you an idiot

guest3113

• Topic Starter
« Reply #9 on: March 03, 2012, 08:38:20 PM »
Not every car tows a trailer etc.I do alot of mountain biking and use a tow bar mounted bike rack.Never towed a trailer.
But culzean is right towing stuff is better done with trucks and suv's. :-*

guest2765

• Topic Starter
« Reply #10 on: March 08, 2012, 07:34:29 AM »
to be honest i never thought about a towbar, never excluded a car because of it.

If you want a Jazz you should go for it, they are easy to drive (clutch is a bit light though) gears are easy, gets great mpg doesnt mind being in 5th gear at 30mph if you are on a long straight road in a town/city. and Ive regularly had friends in the cars, and the car has never suffered too badly, the 0-60 drops about half a second if the car is full (maybe more if you dont hit 5/6k rpm before gear changes i dont know).

To be honest the colour may be offputting, but buy some nice alloys for it and the colour wont bother you...if it still does find a mechanic who does resprays at home and get it resprayed (although remember this costs a fair bit even being done this way, more if done at a garage),
if that idea doesnt appeal to you look around other garages might have them (and dont forget autotrader.co.uk if you dont mind travelling)

guest3101

• Topic Starter
« Reply #11 on: March 19, 2012, 05:19:26 PM »
Am going to look at a Jazz tomorrow.It is a CVT model.I have never driven one before.I understand its not like a normal auto box?When I drive it for the first time what should I expect?

guest2765

• Topic Starter
« Reply #12 on: March 19, 2012, 08:25:19 PM »
wish i could help here mate, ask someone at the dealership, as they should hopefully know :) hope you enjoy it

Ramage

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2006 Jazz 1.4i-DSi Sport CVT Sirirus Blue
« Reply #13 on: March 20, 2012, 05:19:31 PM »
Watch out for a judder as it pulls away from a standstill. This is a known problem on GD CVT gearboxes.

guest3101

• Topic Starter
« Reply #14 on: March 20, 2012, 11:22:46 PM »
Am now the owner of a 2005 Honda Jazz 1.4 Sport  ;D

Tags: