Author Topic: NGK Spark plug longevity  (Read 965 times)

Shuggie69

• Registered Member
  • My Honda: Jazz 1.4 i-DSi SE
NGK Spark plug longevity
« on: May 17, 2021, 11:10:30 PM »
Hi,
Thought some might be interested to learn that we replaced the original NGK spark plugs on our '07 Mk 1 GE3 Jazz today for the first time, after 113,000 miles. Only noticed performance and fuel efficiency drop in the last few months. Demonstrates just how good the NGK plugs are.

E27006

• Approved Member
Re: NGK Spark plug longevity
« Reply #1 on: May 19, 2021, 12:57:31 PM »
NGK plugs are very good, unfortunatley there are many non-genuine pirate copies of NGK plugs which fail rapidly.
That may be  why NGK Honda plugs come in Honda boxes and not the NGK yellow boxes
Just something to watch out for.

bus_ter

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2006 Jazz SE
« Reply #2 on: May 19, 2021, 03:05:42 PM »
NGK plugs are very good, unfortunatley there are many non-genuine pirate copies of NGK plugs which fail rapidly.
That may be  why NGK Honda plugs come in Honda boxes and not the NGK yellow boxes

I didn't know you could get fake spark plugs! I bought mine off eBay, so are almost certainly fake lol.

embee

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2018 Jazz SE CVT
« Reply #3 on: May 19, 2021, 04:59:49 PM »
Indeed, especially when plugs with double precious metal (centre and earth) electrodes can be £10 or £20 even, fakers paradise. NGK have issued info of how to identify genuine/fakes.

FWIW I use https://www.gsparkplug.com/ or https://www.sparkplugs.co.uk/ for most of the plugs I get, never had any issues and as near as can be 100% certain that they will be genuine.

Westy36

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy: Extremely good !!
  • My Honda: 2013 Jazz 1.4 ES Silver
« Reply #4 on: May 19, 2021, 05:27:01 PM »
Fake car parts are a problem. Even branded manufacturers stuff, like Merc/VAG etc gets ripped off. The copies can be extremely good and hard to spot, so buying from a trusted seller is a worthwhile precaution.

Jocko

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
  • My Honda: Died from rust.
« Reply #5 on: May 19, 2021, 06:28:46 PM »
Even airlines experience problems with fake parts when servicing aircraft.

E27006

• Approved Member
« Reply #6 on: May 19, 2021, 06:35:50 PM »

I didn't know you could get fake spark plugs! I bought mine off eBay, so are almost certainly fake lol.
Unfortunately no laughing matter if you are caught, the scam goes back to the 1980s and still ongoing, UK Trading Standards reckon it was their biggest ever campaigns,   even Honda  motorcycle dealers were caught out, the supply chain was heavily infiltrated.  I know of one chap who had his car engine badly damaged by a pirate plug, the plug broke up with the engine running and the debris damaged piston, bore, valves etc. In my case I was lucky, the engine misfired    after a couple of days of riding with the new plug installed and then I knew I had a pirate part.

Westy36

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy: Extremely good !!
  • My Honda: 2013 Jazz 1.4 ES Silver
« Reply #7 on: May 19, 2021, 07:13:00 PM »
Even airlines experience problems with fake parts when servicing aircraft.
That is a scary thought. A dodgy rip-off component failing is not what you want at 30,000 ft !!

I heard years ago about main agents supply chains being flooded with hooky parts, Merc IIRC. I think they are much more aware these days, but even so. Criminals are clever, and there is no doubt a whole heap of cash to be made.

embee

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2018 Jazz SE CVT
« Reply #8 on: May 20, 2021, 11:21:47 AM »
I remember reading about someone fitting "iridium" plugs to a Harley and having all sorts of running issues. They went through various steps of swapping parts etc and concluded that "iridium plugs were rubbish". What they never considered was that the parts they had were probably (almost certainly) fake. Stories like that get into folklore and are cited as why X,Y,Z is bad, or worse the legitimate manufacturers get branded as charlatans.

Tags: