Author Topic: Brake pads life.  (Read 3125 times)

Droneranger

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: Honda Jazz 1.4 iDSi SE GE3 2007
Re: Brake pads life.
« Reply #15 on: May 17, 2021, 02:34:13 PM »
MOT doesn't check pad thickness. You cannot check my pads without removing the wheels.

This from gov.uk mot-inspection-manual --

1.1.13. Brake linings and pads

Some brake pads have metal wear indicators so that when the pads become excessively worn the metal indicator touches the disc making a squealing sound. Other pads may have a cut, which if worn away indicates that the pad must be replaced.
Defect                                                                                        Category
(a) Brake lining or pad:

(i) worn down to wear indicator                                            Major
       (ii) worn below 1.5mm                                                         Dangerous

(b) Brake lining or pad contaminated with oil, grease etc.         Major
(c) Brake lining or pad missing or incorrectly mounted                 Dangerous

So Brake pads are checked where visible, and of course nowadays there are small probes with cameras that can be inserted into small areas should they choose to use them.
« Last Edit: May 17, 2021, 02:36:28 PM by Droneranger »

Jocko

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
  • My Honda: Died from rust.
« Reply #16 on: May 17, 2021, 02:50:24 PM »
So far I have managed 52,000 miles on my pads and they were on the car when I bought it. The last check was before it's MOT at Christmas and my son-in-law said they had plenty meat on them then.

Kremmen

• Approved Member
  • Civinfo interloper
  • Fuel economy:
  • My Honda: MY22 Jazz EX
« Reply #17 on: May 17, 2021, 02:59:15 PM »
The answer is, just don't brake  :)
Let's be careful out there !

jazzaro

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: GK3 Jazz 1.3 6m Elegance Navi grey.
« Reply #18 on: May 17, 2021, 03:19:13 PM »
Mine about 70000km - 43000miles. Front pads could have run for other 2-3000 miles, rear pads were basically over.
GK3 1.3 Ex 6m.
So the rear pads were more worn than the front or have I got that wrong. Ty.
Correct, rear pads were more worn than front pads.
Other strange thing: front and read pads have a little piece of steel that should touch the disk and make an audible and annoying sound when the service limit has been reached,  but this device didn't work on my car. I noticed I had to immediately change my rear pads when I was switching from the summer to winter tyre set, visually checking pads: no sound was coming from rear pads, while front pads there still had about 0,2mm before touching the disk and squeewking.
« Last Edit: May 17, 2021, 03:39:17 PM by jazzaro »

jazzaro

• Approved Member
« Reply #19 on: May 17, 2021, 08:15:12 PM »

That metal wear indicator is easy to bend out of position, though it does take a little force, no tools required.  If when I check my pads,  I see it is close to the wear indicator contacting the discs, I bend it out to prevent this happening. As I then already know the wear is low and I am already planning to replace the pads.
In my rear pads  the metal indicator was touching the disc in both wheels, but no sound came from it.

Droneranger

• Approved Member
« Reply #20 on: May 17, 2021, 10:47:16 PM »

That metal wear indicator is easy to bend out of position, though it does take a little force, no tools required.  If when I check my pads,  I see it is close to the wear indicator contacting the discs, I bend it out to prevent this happening. As I then already know the wear is low and I am already planning to replace the pads.
In my rear pads  the metal indicator was touching the disc in both wheels, but no sound came from it.

How is it possible to have metal to metal contact on moving parts with no sound coming from it, perhaps you just did not notice the noise.
The sound it makes is quite loud, and sounds exactly how it is generated, metal scraping on metal.

fatlad

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2013 1.4 se
« Reply #21 on: May 17, 2021, 11:28:00 PM »
hi roddy

im on my 4th jazz now (2013 reg).

on my first jazz a 53 plate i paid for halfords 'brakes for life' buy once and all the following pad replacements are free right up until you stop driving altogether.
if you need discs then they charge for them but thay arent unreasonable..they dont add price on discs to cover the free pads...

it suits me but its not for everyone...

check it out
'deny everything Baldrick'

Roddy0000

• Topic Starter
  • Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2017 Honda jazz my 3 CVT
« Reply #22 on: May 18, 2021, 09:16:45 AM »

was there any damage to the disks may I ask ?

Roddy0000

• Topic Starter
  • Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2017 Honda jazz my 3 CVT
« Reply #23 on: May 18, 2021, 09:18:59 AM »
hi roddy

im on my 4th jazz now (2013 reg).

on my first jazz a 53 plate i paid for halfords 'brakes for life' buy once and all the following pad replacements are free right up until you stop driving altogether.
if you need discs then they charge for them but thay arent unreasonable..they dont add price on discs to cover the free pads...

Thanks for that, guess these would be 3rd party pads and not Honda ?

check it out

jazzaro

• Approved Member
« Reply #24 on: May 18, 2021, 09:36:02 AM »

No, fortunately there were enought friction material to avoid a direct contact between the disc and the steel part of the pad, about half millimeter.
The wear audible indicator is too thin and soft to cause any damage to the disc.
« Last Edit: May 18, 2021, 12:31:55 PM by jazzaro »

Droneranger

• Approved Member
« Reply #25 on: May 18, 2021, 09:43:25 AM »

I have never noticed any damage to the discs from tread wear indicators, I always deal with mine quickly though, I think it always sounds worse then it is, perhaps the metal of the indicators is softer then the discs.

JimSh

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2014 Honda Jazz ES Plus
« Reply #26 on: May 18, 2021, 11:20:09 AM »

check it out

Thanks for the heads up on this.
I took this out on brakes for my last car. (Not from Halfords but a company who turned out to be associated with Halfords).
At the time I realised that it would mean that the next time I needed pads they would tell me I needed discs too.
It was only when I saw your post that I noticed that the scheme applied to the person not the car.

"The Brakes4Life lifetime guarantee gives motorists free replacement brake pads or shoes for as long as they drive – even when they replace their car. The campaign reduces the cost of vehicle maintenance while encouraging owners to make sure their brakes are in full working order. "

Doubt that I'll be able to find my receipt after this time. I think I had a clear out after I traded in the car but I'll  have a look sometime.

jazzaro

• Approved Member
« Reply #27 on: May 18, 2021, 12:33:18 PM »
The answer is, just don't brake  :)
or buy a good full hybrid.

E27006

• Approved Member
« Reply #28 on: May 22, 2021, 07:30:27 AM »
MOT doesn't check pad thickness. You cannot check my pads without removing the wheels.
An MoT test on my Jazz was a pass with an advisory of rear disk pads down to limit, I ignored their request for the work of replacing them.
Purchased a set of pads from Honda and set about fitting them,  turned out the old pads were as good as new, then I questioned to myself how they had  assessed the old pads, you should take the wheels off,   Still have the new pads in their cardboard  box.

Another garage I won't be using.
« Last Edit: May 22, 2021, 07:36:38 AM by E27006 »

Kremmen

• Approved Member
  • Civinfo interloper
  • Fuel economy:
  • My Honda: MY22 Jazz EX
« Reply #29 on: May 22, 2021, 08:08:17 AM »
I had a similar story on my Citroen C5. They only needed servicing every 2 years or 20k miles.

First service they rang me and said front pads were on the limit. I told them I'd call back as what they didn't know is that I was only a 5 min walk away.

Turned up and asked to see the pads. Nothing wrong with them, loads of meat left. They flustered and said the mechanic had given them the wrong reg No.

One thing I do know is that Crown Honda Bushey tell it as it is. They have never suggested any work not needed.
Let's be careful out there !

Tags: