Author Topic: Brake pads life.  (Read 3206 times)

Roddy0000

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2017 Honda jazz my 3 CVT
Brake pads life.
« on: May 17, 2021, 09:36:24 AM »
Just had a call from garage during service and they have mentioned needing front pads, whilst I realise that this is the way that the dealerships make money, they are saying 2 - 3mm left, MOT limit 1.5, so 0.5 mm left, mileage 26000 on an auto box, does this sound reasonable to replace them at this time, would value any thoughts please.

Have asked them to leave the old pads in the car so will check them and if replaced early will tackle them about it.

They mentioned about "sanitising" kills 99.9% of bacteria for £25, no chance !!

ty.

trebor1652

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy: 64.7 mpg
  • My Honda: Crosstar Crystal Red Two Tone
Re: Brake pads life.
« Reply #1 on: May 17, 2021, 09:49:11 AM »
Over 31,000 miles on my MK3 ex CVT and the pads are still good.

Sent from my moto g(6) using Tapatalk

Droneranger

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: Honda Jazz 1.4 iDSi SE GE3 2007
« Reply #2 on: May 17, 2021, 10:00:17 AM »
Yes, I think it is to be expected for them to recommend changing the pads at the time of service.
However it is now down to how many miles you will be doing in the near future, next year say.
Also the price they quote you to replace the pads.
I would phone another garage and get a quote for the front pads change. The price of the Honda dealership parts alone is likely to be more then the quote from the independent garage.

culzean

• Approved Member
« Reply #3 on: May 17, 2021, 10:22:17 AM »
Just had a call from garage during service and they have mentioned needing front pads, whilst I realise that this is the way that the dealerships make money, they are saying 2 - 3mm left, MOT limit 1.5, so 0.5 mm left, mileage 26000 on an auto box, does this sound reasonable to replace them at this time, would value any thoughts please.

Have asked them to leave the old pads in the car so will check them and if replaced early will tackle them about it.

They mentioned about "sanitising" kills 99.9% of bacteria for £25, no chance !!

ty.

In my experience brakes get used a lot more on automatics due to reduced engine braking. 
Some people will only consider you an expert if they agree with your point of view or advice,  when you give them advice they don't like they consider you an idiot

Roddy0000

• Topic Starter
  • Approved Member
« Reply #4 on: May 17, 2021, 10:36:02 AM »
Yes, I think it is to be expected for them to recommend changing the pads at the time of service.
However it is now down to how many miles you will be doing in the near future, next year say.
Also the price they quote you to replace the pads.
I would phone another garage and get a quote for the front pads change. The price of the Honda dealership parts alone is likely to be more then the quote from the independent garage.

They are quoting £138 all in, guess this is the standard Honda price, wish I could find a Honda independent in my area, they seem to be quite scarce...

Roddy0000

• Topic Starter
  • Approved Member
« Reply #5 on: May 17, 2021, 10:38:09 AM »
Over 31,000 miles on my MK3 ex CVT and the pads are still good.

Sent from my moto g(6) using Tapatalk

the car was 1 year old when I bought it so not sure of how the brakes were used.

madasafish

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 1.4 ES CVT -2012
« Reply #6 on: May 17, 2021, 11:02:58 AM »
30K miles from Mark 2 CVT. Front And rear
Hilly country: long descents.. Brakes used a lot..

embee

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2018 Jazz SE CVT
« Reply #7 on: May 17, 2021, 12:17:05 PM »
The life of brake pads depends so much on particular use it isn't really possible to give a mileage. Having said that, 26k mls doesn't sound unreasonable to me, and if they are down to 2 or 3mm I'd change them personally, just as I wouldn't run tyres down to the minimum legal tread depth. They start off at something like 6 or 8mm so you've had most of the use out of them. If the car spends all its life on motorways they'll last many times as long as if it does all its miles around town for example.
Most garages will try to get business if they can, they are businesses after all, advising the pads are well worn seems pretty reasonable and responsibe even, if that's actually the case. It depends whether you trust them. Some will of course try it on, others will be genuine.
It's worth checking that the calipers are working correctly, pistons not seized and caliper free on the sliding pins.

The ratio of pad to disc wear depends on a lot of factors, the ones I've changed recently have tended to go as a set, there was a time when discs lasted for ever but not so much with modern brakes. Infrequent use tends to result in disc corrosion which can end up with braking surfaces reducing dramatically. I recently changed a Mini rear brakes which are prone to problems and the discs were in a terrible state, how it passed an MOT two months earlier is beyond me. I have no idea how old/mls they were. The pads had quite a decent amount of material left. What do you all reckon, needed new discs?

Jocko

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
  • My Honda: Died from rust.
« Reply #8 on: May 17, 2021, 12:54:17 PM »
MOT doesn't check pad thickness. You cannot check my pads without removing the wheels.

jazzaro

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: GK3 Jazz 1.3 6m Elegance Navi grey.
« Reply #9 on: May 17, 2021, 01:10:02 PM »
Mine about 70000km - 43000miles. Front pads could have run for other 2-3000 miles, rear pads were basically over.
GK3 1.3 Ex 6m.

Roddy0000

• Topic Starter
  • Approved Member
« Reply #10 on: May 17, 2021, 01:26:06 PM »
Mine about 70000km - 43000miles. Front pads could have run for other 2-3000 miles, rear pads were basically over.
GK3 1.3 Ex 6m.
So the rear pads were more worn than the front or have I got that wrong. Ty.

Roddy0000

• Topic Starter
  • Approved Member
« Reply #11 on: May 17, 2021, 01:28:17 PM »
The life of brake pads depends so much on particular use it isn't really possible to give a mileage. Having said that, 26k mls doesn't sound unreasonable to me, and if they are down to 2 or 3mm I'd change them personally, just as I wouldn't run tyres down to the minimum legal tread depth. They start off at something like 6 or 8mm so you've had most of the use out of them. If the car spends all its life on motorways they'll last many times as long as if it does all its miles around town for example.
Most garages will try to get business if they can, they are businesses after all, advising the pads are well worn seems pretty reasonable and responsibe even, if that's actually the case. It depends whether you trust them. Some will of course try it on, others will be genuine.
It's worth checking that the calipers are working correctly, pistons not seized and caliper free on the sliding pins.

The ratio of pad to disc wear depends on a lot of factors, the ones I've changed recently have tended to go as a set, there was a time when discs lasted for ever but not so much with modern brakes. Infrequent use tends to result in disc corrosion which can end up with braking surfaces reducing dramatically. I recently changed a Mini rear brakes which are prone to problems and the discs were in a terrible state, how it passed an MOT two months earlier is beyond me. I have no idea how old/mls they were. The pads had quite a decent amount of material left. What do you all reckon, needed new discs?

My mk 2 rear discs were similar and obviously affected the braking/parking.  Sold car before being sorted.

Kremmen

• Approved Member
  • Civinfo interloper
  • Fuel economy:
  • My Honda: MY22 Jazz EX
« Reply #12 on: May 17, 2021, 01:58:51 PM »
A lot is also to do with your driving style.

My last service at 24k came back with all pads at "80% left approx" and mine is a TC auto.

My old boss took me from Woking to Guildford and back in his Renault and he was accelerate brake accelerate brake all the way there and back. He got less than 20k out of his pads and was always moaning about it.
Let's be careful out there !

ColinS

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2018 HR-V EX-Navi CVT
« Reply #13 on: May 17, 2021, 02:23:25 PM »

They probably have a box of old pads in the back of the garage, just for people like you ;)

Roddy0000

• Topic Starter
  • Approved Member
« Reply #14 on: May 17, 2021, 02:25:48 PM »

They probably have a box of old pads in the back of the garage, just for people like you ;)
yep - I thought that. I used to work in a garage so know the tricks.

Tags:

anything