Author Topic: Jazz I-Shift Failure  (Read 1298 times)

Rolling Stone

• Registered Member
  • My Honda: Jazz
Jazz I-Shift Failure
« on: May 22, 2021, 12:37:58 PM »
I have a 2009 Jazz with a I-Shift gearbox with about 85K miles. Very recently been getting problems where the Engine starts up, but the car cannot be put into gear. We get the "Cog Wheel" symbol coming up.

Reading previous posts, it seems this has been a common issue.

The AA checked the car, charged the battery up and it started to work and go into gear. However to start the car up, the AA had to remove the Fault Codes. AA then towed the car to a Honda Dealer who then ran the checks but couldn't find the fault on their diagnostics. Honda Dealer said that they would have to reboot the software completely etc...major expense of £250 to run the process and about £1000 to change the gearbox

So I drove the car home. Getting the same problem every morning. Car does not go into Gear.

Reading previous posts something to do with an acutator or software issue. Understand the cost would be about £300.

Would anyone know a good mechanic in the Wycombe area who has seen problems like this before and can fix?

many thanks

Westy36

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy: Extremely good !!
  • My Honda: 2013 Jazz 1.4 ES Silver
Re: Jazz I-Shift Failure
« Reply #1 on: May 22, 2021, 01:52:00 PM »
Welcome to the forum.

From your post, sounds like you may have a battery on the way out if the car worked after the battery being charged by the AA. Batterie for the Jazz are cheap to buy, I got mine last year from:

https://www.batterymegastore.co.uk/

Lots of folk on here say Tanya batteries are the best. https://www.tayna.co.uk/car-batteries/?gclid=EAIaIQobChMI9LC3k6rd8AIVDLvVCh1nzwNgEAAYASAAEgL9LfD_BwE

With regard to the dealers recommendation, there is a diy option you could try for free. Leave the battery disconnected for 15 minutes to do a reset. Make sure you've the radio code first.

Kremmen

• Approved Member
  • Civinfo interloper
  • Fuel economy:
  • My Honda: MY22 Jazz EX
« Reply #2 on: May 22, 2021, 02:28:59 PM »
If it is an I-shift problem we have a resident expert over on the Civic forum who can fix any issue:

https://www.civinfo.com/threads/civic-and-jazz-i-shift-ishift-actuator-clutch-system-repair-at-your-home-address.306297/page-17#post-5527572
Let's be careful out there !

123Drive!

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: Honda Jazz 1.4 ES i-Shift
« Reply #3 on: May 25, 2021, 10:49:31 PM »
Daniel is highly recommended as he sorted out my Jazz for around £350. It will be quicker if you can tow the car to him in Northampton, otherwise for him to come to you, it will take months as he is well booked up.

I would also change the clutch before going to him. As mine went at 110000 and I had to go back to Daniel again. But all in all still cheaper than what Honda quoted me...£2k just for the actuator!

Tags: