Author Topic: Any issues with electronics?  (Read 3588 times)

Downsizer

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: Jazz 1.3 SE cvt - Feb '16 - Blue
Re: Any issues with electronics?
« Reply #15 on: May 13, 2021, 05:45:43 PM »
I think many train systems could operate without drivers, but people are understandably nervous about travelling on them.

John Ratsey

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2022 HR-V Elegance
« Reply #16 on: May 13, 2021, 05:54:43 PM »
Same here, I hate the thought of the car trying to affect my steering decisions.
There's sense in having something to intervene in case the driver is dozing off on a motorway but carrying the same basic system through to lesser roads just doesn't work. Honda will quietly note this and something better will be provided on the Mk. 5 Jazz.

Another bit of non-perfect Honda electronics/software is the telemetry system and communication between the vehicle and the My Honda+ app.https://www.honda.co.uk/engineroom/electric/hybrid/get-connected-with-the-myhondaplus-app/. It works most, but not all, of the time and is currently telling me that my car is unlocked but I've checked the door handles and it is locked. I think it was caught out because I had pressed the unlock button on the remote so I could put some Redex in the fuel tank but never opened a door. After I pushed the filler cover shut the car automatically locked itself. Fortunately, the My Honda+ app is basically a gimmick and not something which affects the vehicle reliability.

I think many train systems could operate without drivers, but people are understandably nervous about travelling on them.
There are examples of automatic trains providing, for example, shuttle services between airport terminals. However, such systems tend to be better protected from external variables (eg cattle on the track) than the main railway network.
2022 HR-V Elegance, previously 2020 Jazz Crosstar

richardfrost

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: Black 2005 1.4 SE RIP
« Reply #17 on: May 13, 2021, 06:04:16 PM »
There are examples of automatic trains providing, for example, shuttle services between airport terminals. However, such systems tend to be better protected from external variables (eg cattle on the track) than the main railway network.
The Docklands Light Railway is quite an extensive driverless system. Don't think there are too many cattle to worry about in East London though.

nowster

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2021 GR3 Jazz EX i-MMD in Midnight Blue
« Reply #18 on: May 13, 2021, 06:25:25 PM »
What I don't understand is that we have cars capable of driving themselves on busy motorways but trains which ride on fixed tracks and  controlled spacing still have drivers. Why? Surely trains of all types would be better managed by automated systems rather than fallible human drivers?
It's certainly possible. The DLR (Docklands Light Railway) in London is pretty much fully automated, and there are plans to run some of the deep level tube lines without drivers.

And the number of automatic safety features in the railways nowadays would surprise you. Overspeed detection, red light protection, etc.

E27006

• Approved Member
« Reply #19 on: May 13, 2021, 06:56:36 PM »
Question:
Why do trains have Drivers?
Answer:
When Hell breaks loose on the track. Management have the scapegoat at the front of the train.

Jocko

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
  • My Honda: Died from rust.
« Reply #20 on: May 13, 2021, 07:30:25 PM »
The same reason planes have pilots.

E27006

• Approved Member
« Reply #21 on: May 13, 2021, 08:06:11 PM »
What I don't understand is that we have cars capable of driving themselves on busy motorways but trains which ride on fixed tracks and  controlled spacing still have drivers. Why? Surely trains of all types would be better managed by automated systems rather than fallible human drivers?
It's certainly possible. The DLR (Docklands Light Railway) in London is pretty much fully automated, and there are plans to run some of the deep level tube lines without drivers.

And the number of automatic safety features in the railways nowadays would surprise you. Overspeed detection, red light protection, etc.
And the number of times when those safety features go wrong and paralyse the train from proceeding and the working timetable thrown into chaos would astonish you, ( retired driver )

Expatman

• Approved Member
« Reply #22 on: May 13, 2021, 10:52:09 PM »

And the number of times when those safety features go wrong and paralyse the train from proceeding and the working timetable thrown into chaos would astonish you, ( retired driver )
And the Government is thinking of letting those systems loose on cars travelling not on rails but on free flowing roads!!!! However, I do believe that trains could function safely without drivers because of modern advanced control systems - and properly installed they very, very rarely go wrong nowadays. Whether passengers would accept driverless trains is another matter.

richardfrost

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: Black 2005 1.4 SE RIP
« Reply #23 on: May 14, 2021, 02:26:20 AM »
Whether passengers would accept driverless trains is another matter.
Like I said earlier, they already do. The Docklands Light Railway has never had drivers.

Kremmen

• Approved Member
  • Civinfo interloper
  • Fuel economy:
  • My Honda: MY22 Jazz EX
« Reply #24 on: May 14, 2021, 05:04:40 AM »
It's quite pleasant to get the front seats on the DLR. You have to be quick at Bank though or they are taken.
Let's be careful out there !

E27006

• Approved Member
« Reply #25 on: May 14, 2021, 07:44:42 AM »

And the Government is thinking of letting those systems loose on cars travelling not on rails but on free flowing roads!!!! However, I do believe that trains could function safely without drivers because of modern advanced control systems - and properly installed they very, very rarely go wrong nowadays. Whether passengers would accept driverless trains is another matter.
The passengers are safe behind a driver, the people at risk are track workers who work in all weather conditions, day or night,   while repairing inspecting or maintaining,the track, they  routinely have to step aside when a train is bearing down on them at up to 125 mph, or work near an exposed  conductor rail energised at 750 V DC capable of delivering 30,000 Amps. While all aspects of the Railway are about safety, Safety is almost the first word on the first page of the Rulebook, and an old saying is every rule in the Rulebook can be traced back to blood.   

Expatman

• Approved Member
« Reply #26 on: May 14, 2021, 10:03:38 AM »
Realistically the problem with driverless trains is the rail unions.

culzean

• Approved Member
« Reply #27 on: May 14, 2021, 10:39:16 AM »
Realistically the problem with driverless trains is the rail unions.

There is already a lack of security for passengers on buses and trains due to conductors being removed ( those copper thieves again ), and many stations are unmanned ( our local ones are, I feel sorry especially for lone women getting of an unmanned train into a deserted station )- making trains driverless may mean more profit for operators but not good for passengers.

Everything needs a driver / pilot to take over when the electronics screw up..........
« Last Edit: May 14, 2021, 02:23:29 PM by culzean »
Some people will only consider you an expert if they agree with your point of view or advice,  when you give them advice they don't like they consider you an idiot

Jocko

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
  • My Honda: Died from rust.
« Reply #28 on: May 14, 2021, 10:58:02 AM »
the people at risk are track workers who work in all weather conditions
My grandfather was a lead ganger and was killed one February morning by a DMU descending from Aberdour.
My uncle was a driver, killed as he swapped control of his coal train to the driver at the other end.
The railways are not a safe occupation.

JazzMusic

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: Jazz e:HEV Exec
« Reply #29 on: May 14, 2021, 11:08:40 AM »
I've my Jazz since nearly a year and haven't noticed any electronic gremlins by default.

Sometimes the central navi/audio... system takes a bit longer to start up. I can live with that.

The ACC (adaptive cruise control) is acting a bit too early on twisted roads while it's perfect on the highway. I don't regard it as a fault that Honda has to solve, it's just the way it is.

While I do understand that people want perfect cars it should be noted that these complex electronics in todays cars to have their limits even if a 4-letter guy with his 'magnetic' carmake wants to make us believe that there are no limits.

Buying a car of one of the VW brands by a very picky person is a pretty perfect match.  :P ;D 

Tags:

anything