Author Topic: Wish I had bought a Crosstar, not the standard car.  (Read 1674 times)

foxleys

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: Jazz Hybid EX 2021
Wish I had bought a Crosstar, not the standard car.
« on: May 11, 2021, 06:45:12 PM »
If you are considering buying a Mk4, I would suggest the crosstar for one reason!

It has plastic side protection, stopping idiots chipping your shiny new car!

One tiny ding has just cost me £310 to fix.

I realise this won’t prevent higher damage, but it may stop some...

Just a thought.

Kenneve

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2023 Jazz Advance e-HEV, Red
Re: Wish I had bought a Crosstar, not the standard car.
« Reply #1 on: May 11, 2021, 07:21:34 PM »
Not sure I agree with those sentiments.
As a Mk4 EX owner, of just 2 weeks, I'm very pleased overall, with my purchase.

According to the Honda website, the basic cost of the Crosstar is £1200 more than the EX.
You can have possibly 4 'dings' for that cost, before you break even :(

NoelM

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2021 Jazz Crosstar
« Reply #2 on: May 11, 2021, 07:48:50 PM »
Brand new crosstar bought in March from dealer £20000

John Ratsey

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2022 HR-V Elegance
« Reply #3 on: May 11, 2021, 09:37:16 PM »
I don't think the plastic garnish on the Crosstar will provide protection from car park dents caused by rear doors on other vehicles as such doors are usually wider half way up than at the bottom. The underlying problem with car parks is that the standard parking bays (and many garages) are designed for the vehicles of 60 years ago.
2022 HR-V Elegance, previously 2020 Jazz Crosstar

Expatman

• Approved Member
« Reply #4 on: May 11, 2021, 10:42:45 PM »
I don't think the plastic garnish on the Crosstar will provide protection from car park dents caused by rear doors on other vehicles as such doors are usually wider half way up than at the bottom. The underlying problem with car parks is that the standard parking bays (and many garages) are designed for the vehicles of 60 years ago.
Too true - and with growing girth of most cars nowadays - specially SUV’s - it’s often very difficult to get out of your car even if parked centrally in the bay. I find myself driving around trying to find a bay with a vacant space next to it so my wife who has a bad back can get out without twisting herself in knots, usually return to find vacant bay is filled by someone who has delighted in parking as close to me as possible! Ah for the days when I lived in the USA and parking bays were of such a width there was no problem parking or getting in or out of your car. Mind you still got the odd driver who parked so close to your car as to make it difficult to get back in!!

tennisl

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2021 Honda Jazz Crosstar
« Reply #5 on: May 11, 2021, 11:15:55 PM »

Can I ask where did you buy Crosstar for £20,000?

Kremmen

• Approved Member
  • Civinfo interloper
  • Fuel economy:
  • My Honda: MY22 Jazz EX
« Reply #6 on: May 12, 2021, 05:29:52 AM »
I'm still aiming for the MK4.

Funnily enough one of my reasons is the lack of available mudflaps for the Crosstar to protect the body.  They help deflect road stones flying up the side. Especially this latest trend of road repair with "Loose Chippings"

As for car parks, I park further away and never cram into small spaces.
Let's be careful out there !

Westy36

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy: Extremely good !!
  • My Honda: 2013 Jazz 1.4 ES Silver
« Reply #7 on: May 12, 2021, 08:11:41 AM »
Sorry to hear your car was dented in a car park. It leaves a sour taste in the mouth for sure. It's a shame people behave in such a way.

I realise clean lines on cars are pleasing to the eye, but the large rubber strips that used to be fitted down the middle of a car did save it in car parks. Honda should bring them back.

I have run a nearly new car in the past, and the worry of parking it has me returning to much less valuable vehicles simply because it is less concern.

Downsizer

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: Jazz 1.3 SE cvt - Feb '16 - Blue
« Reply #8 on: May 12, 2021, 09:35:31 AM »
There are so many different car shapes and sizes that I think it is impossible to provide reliable parking space protection.  I’ve decided life is too short to worry about minor dints, and I usually keep a car for 7+ years, by which time the resale value is not much influenced by them.  I did once damage an adjacent newish Jaguar on a windy day and left a note with contact details.  I received an e—mail from the owner saying he wouldn’t have noticed it, and anyway expected such incidents to occur and had no intention of having it repaired!

peteo48

• Approved Member
  • I have entered the Jazz Age
  • Fuel economy:
  • My Honda: 2021 Honda Jazz Mk4 1.5 i-MMD EX
« Reply #9 on: May 12, 2021, 10:42:48 AM »

Can I ask where did you buy Crosstar for £20,000?

Yes I'd be interested in that. I know Car Wow and the like can get a couple of grand off but rare from a dealer.

John Ratsey

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2022 HR-V Elegance
« Reply #10 on: May 12, 2021, 01:51:28 PM »
Funnily enough one of my reasons is the lack of available mudflaps for the Crosstar to protect the body.  They help deflect road stones flying up the side. Especially this latest trend of road repair with "Loose Chippings"
Surface dressing (also called "spray and chip") is the traditional economical and effective way of maintaining all but the most heavily used roads. The tar spray seals all the cracks (water getting into cracks is the primary cause of the deterioration of surfacing) and the chippings provide a high friction protective layer. Recently resurfaced roads are subject to speed limits to minimise the problems with flying chippings and, in my experience, the biggest hazard is chipped bonnets and windscreens caused by chippings thrown up by large (and often speeding) vehicles going in the other direction.
2022 HR-V Elegance, previously 2020 Jazz Crosstar

Rod1955

• Registered Member
« Reply #11 on: May 12, 2021, 03:35:27 PM »
The reason I have joined this forum is to decide whether to go for the EX or Crosstar.

I have just had a very bad experience with a Skoda Kamiq which had serious electronic issues from the start and is now being returned as unfit for purpose.

tennisl

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2021 Honda Jazz Crosstar
« Reply #12 on: May 12, 2021, 06:44:41 PM »
For the same reason I am here as well  :). I am considering to buy Mk4.
Had a bad experience with my Skoda (DSG issue)

Expatman

• Approved Member
« Reply #13 on: May 12, 2021, 06:55:41 PM »
Looks like a good few Skoda owners searching for a change. No problems with my Yeti - second Yeti bought from new - but the Kamiq doesn't attract me and can't find anything else to match the Yeti. Crosstar is appealing for size, height, technology, reliability and well just seems right. However decided to wait till I've seen the new HR-V before finally choosing.

Tags: