Author Topic: Budget tyre suggestions please  (Read 3190 times)

D3DSL

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 57 Jazz SE + 11 Jazz ES CVT :)
Budget tyre suggestions please
« on: May 08, 2021, 06:55:21 PM »
The tyres on my 57 Jazz are in great condition (Vred Quadtrac 3s) with plenty of tread and no cracking/crazing, but they are going to be over 11 years old going by the date stamp so might be about time to think of a change.  I don’t want to spend a fortune on tyres as I may be given the green light to replace her hopefully in the not too distant fortune, it would hurt to chop her with a full set of expensive booties.  Plus the car is a second car and not doing much in the way of mileage, a couple of thousand miles a year in “normal” times, with lockdowns I last filled her up in August!

So to my question.  Has anyone any recommendations for budget tyres for the old girl, ideally in the £40 - £50 area?  These tyres won’t need to be the best or the most efficient or the quietest or the fastest, just for pootling around and the most arduous task they will have is getting me to the gym and back.  Winter conditions aren’t an issue as I have a Karoq 4x4 on full winters for when it’s snowy or icy, if I need to venture out.  The rims on the Jazz are the standard SE type with 185/55/15.

Thoughts oh frugal tyre buyers out there?

richardfrost

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: Black 2005 1.4 SE RIP
Re: Budget tyre suggestions please
« Reply #1 on: May 08, 2021, 07:09:09 PM »
My son just put a pair of part worns on the front for £50 all in. Not sure what they are but they’re a matching pair. I have had Landsail tyres in the past and they have been Ok.

Westy36

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy: Extremely good !!
  • My Honda: 2013 Jazz 1.4 ES Silver
« Reply #2 on: May 08, 2021, 07:13:50 PM »
Good question. I have always been of the mind of buying decent mid range tyres or cheap premium items. I looked at strange branded tyres with suspicion and a cost saving that I would file under false economy. However, last year I bought an old Astra MK4 and ran it for 6 months. It came fitted with cheapo tyres, Aptamy and another brand I can't recall, and I must say I was impressed with them. They gripped really well in the wet and were very quiet.

Would I buy them out of choice now? Well, I would certainly be less sceptical based on the recent Astra experience. They were not terrible tyres by any stretch of the imagination.

D3DSL

• Topic Starter
  • Approved Member
« Reply #3 on: May 08, 2021, 08:39:23 PM »
Never thought of the part worn route, will have a look but I suspect that once I’ve gotten 4 from eBay, then with fitting, they won’t be much cheaper than budgets. 

Have heard of Landsail, but not Aptamy, will keep an eye out for them.  Genesys XP1s, £40 from ATS, get mixed reviews with “would you buy them again?” Getting all responses from “definitely” to “definitely not”.  ;D

Jocko

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
  • My Honda: Died from rust.
« Reply #4 on: May 08, 2021, 08:58:03 PM »
Kwik Fit are selling Yokohama Bluearth ES32 (as fitted to new Jazz) for £50 each. I had them last time and they were brilliant.

E27006

• Approved Member
« Reply #5 on: May 08, 2021, 09:04:49 PM »
The tyres on my 57 Jazz are in great condition (Vred Quadtrac 3s) with plenty of tread and no cracking/crazing, but they are going to be over 11 years old going by the date stamp so might be about time to think of a change.  I don’t want to spend a fortune on tyres as I may be given the green light to replace her hopefully in the not too distant fortune, it would hurt to chop her with a full set of expensive booties.  Plus the car is a second car and not doing much in the way of mileage, a couple of thousand miles a year in “normal” times, with lockdowns I last filled her up in August!

So to my question.  Has anyone any recommendations for budget tyres for the old girl, ideally in the £40 - £50 area?  These tyres won’t need to be the best or the most efficient or the quietest or the fastest, just for pootling around and the most arduous task they will have is getting me to the gym and back.  Winter conditions aren’t an issue as I have a Karoq 4x4 on full winters for when it’s snowy or icy, if I need to venture out.  The rims on the Jazz are the standard SE type with 185/55/15.

I am aware of the date stamp on the tyre wall and the recommendation to change tyres when they are 6 years old.
You  have inspected the current tyres, found them to be free of defects, so is there a need to change them?

Regarding Landsail tyres, I used to work for a company with  a  big fleet of Astra vans , rules for replacement tyres were limited to Bridgestone, Continental and a couple of others I cannot recall, but in essence, no budget  tyres permitted. One driver, his van only a months from retirement from the fleet, needed new tyres, they fitted Landsail tyres to save money. The driver was  so unhappy with the roadholding of the vehicle with Landsails, he raised grievances  under  Health and Safety concerns. He described the grip of Landsails as if  a hairbrush on a glass table

guest4871

« Reply #6 on: May 08, 2021, 09:35:28 PM »
Kwik Fit are selling Yokohama Bluearth ES32 (as fitted to new Jazz) for £50 each. I had them last time and they were brilliant.

+ 1

Kremmen

• Approved Member
  • Civinfo interloper
  • Fuel economy:
  • My Honda: MY22 Jazz EX
« Reply #7 on: May 09, 2021, 07:59:22 AM »
Part worn would frighten me. Why are they for sale, write off ?

If they've been bumped up and down kerbs, like I see a lot, then the tyre wall may be weak.

Not for me as I never skimp with tyres or brakes.
Let's be careful out there !

D3DSL

• Topic Starter
  • Approved Member
« Reply #8 on: May 09, 2021, 08:09:53 AM »
Agreed re part worns, I’d have no idea re abuse that they’ve had.  That idea wouldn’t fly with SWMBO as well, her standards a tad higher than mine.

Re the tyres on there, last time I looked they were perfect.  I’ve just had to swap out the factory fitted Michelins on SWMBO’s GE Jazz due to crazing, just under 10 years old but kept in a dark cupboard for half of that when winter tyres were fitted.

The most recent pic of the old Jazz’z tyres, just taken so I can get the size correct.

D3DSL

• Topic Starter
  • Approved Member
« Reply #9 on: May 09, 2021, 08:13:19 AM »

£73.50 in 185/55 15.  I know not much in the grand scheme of things so added to the “possible maybe” list. Thanks.

culzean

• Approved Member
« Reply #10 on: May 09, 2021, 09:10:59 AM »
Agreed re part worns, I’d have no idea re abuse that they’ve had.  That idea wouldn’t fly with SWMBO as well, her standards a tad higher than mine.

Re the tyres on there, last time I looked they were perfect.  I’ve just had to swap out the factory fitted Michelins on SWMBO’s GE Jazz due to crazing, just under 10 years old but kept in a dark cupboard for half of that when winter tyres were fitted.

The most recent pic of the old Jazz’z tyres, just taken so I can get the size correct.

Using a tyre keeps the cracks away ( it keeps the plasticisers in the right place ),  excessive cleaning may cause cracks.   Tyres left in the dark still crack so the culprit is not entirely sunlight.   I would never, ever, ever buy part worn, as said earlier you have no idea of their previous treatment. 

https://bridgestone-mea.com/en/discover/why-do-car-tyres-crack
Some people will only consider you an expert if they agree with your point of view or advice,  when you give them advice they don't like they consider you an idiot

culzean

• Approved Member
« Reply #11 on: May 09, 2021, 09:17:24 AM »

I am aware of the date stamp on the tyre wall and the recommendation to change tyres when they are 6 years old.
You  have inspected the current tyres, found them to be free of defects, so is there a need to change them?

Regarding Landsail tyres, I used to work for a company with  a  big fleet of Astra vans , rules for replacement tyres were limited to Bridgestone, Continental and a couple of others I cannot recall, but in essence, no budget  tyres permitted. One driver, his van only a months from retirement from the fleet, needed new tyres, they fitted Landsail tyres to save money. The driver was  so unhappy with the roadholding of the vehicle with Landsails, he raised grievances  under  Health and Safety concerns. He described the grip of Landsails as if  a hairbrush on a glass table

That 'new tyre' you are buying can legally be sold as 'new' up to 5 years after it was made  :o  So check the date on tyre.....

https://www.kwik-fit.com/tyres/information/tyre-age
Some people will only consider you an expert if they agree with your point of view or advice,  when you give them advice they don't like they consider you an idiot

Beaver

• Approved Member
« Reply #12 on: May 09, 2021, 09:20:21 AM »
For anyone who wouldn't consider either part worn or re-tread tyres because they're "unsafe", I hope you don't find out what many airliners and cargo aircraft and LGV's have fitted as routine!

It's all down to various factors such as the vehicle usage and quality of the tyres.   I personally would want new tyres on my cars, but that's due to how I use the vehicles.   I suspect that many people have tyres fitted and don't give them much thought after that, and don't even check the inflation pressures regularly.

On both of my cars I regularly remove the wheels for all-round cleaning and close inspection as I regard them as one of the most vital items on a car that help to keep me (and others) safe.

D3DSL

• Topic Starter
  • Approved Member
« Reply #13 on: May 09, 2021, 10:05:42 AM »
excessive cleaning may cause cracks.

No danger there!!   ;) ;)

Understood re not being used.  Unfortunately, well for the Jazz not us, we have done 2 x 6 months travelling so she was standing still, plus not used for the last 6 months so that’s not going to help.   It’s amazing with the abuse she’s had that she even speaks to me!!  Saying that, she’s sat without a battery as leaving that last one connected for 6 months managed to kill it.  >:(

richardfrost

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: Black 2005 1.4 SE RIP
« Reply #14 on: May 09, 2021, 10:46:16 AM »
I would rather my son hadn't put the part worns on but money is tight for him as they have a baby on the way and he has just started a new business. I reconciled myself with the thought that come November, before the baby comes, I will probably gift them a set of new all season tyres, if not a newer Jazz.

With regards the story about the Landsails, I'm not the sort of person that listens to the tale of a friend of a friend who used something in a different context. I went to my local tyre fitter when I had my HRV and wanted to order top brand Winters on which they could have made a fair markup. He persuaded me that given my driving profile and the type of car, the Landsails would be totally adequate. I have to say they were very impressive. But as I say, they were Winter tyres.

Tags:

anything