Author Topic: White smoke from exhaust under fierce acceleration  (Read 1262 times)

Sailorjohn

• Registered Member
  • My Honda: Honda Jazz SE
White smoke from exhaust under fierce acceleration
« on: May 07, 2021, 07:40:13 PM »
My 2002 Jazz has covered only 30300 miles from newand runs perfectly, this afternoon i accelerated hard in 3rd gear and a large cloud of white smoke was omitted from the exhaust.
Have checked oil and water and there is no loss of either and I cannot replicate the smoke again. Any Ideas?  Thanks    John

Jocko

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
  • My Honda: Died from rust.
Re: White smoke from exhaust under fierce acceleration
« Reply #1 on: May 07, 2021, 08:52:54 PM »
White is normally condensation. Was the engine cold?

culzean

• Approved Member
« Reply #2 on: May 07, 2021, 09:24:07 PM »
I did have white smoke from exhaust of a Vauxhall once ( pre CAT days ) - caused by build up of oil in the fibreglass inside silencers,  trouble is the white smoke didn't stop when the engine stopped,  it continued to issue white smoke ( like the Vatican chimney ) for ages after I had parked and walked away from car.....

I doubt if oil would get through the CAT on a Jazz, so maybe just water in exhaust,  have you been doing short runs and got the white smoke on a longer run that allowed exhaust to heat up more ?
Some people will only consider you an expert if they agree with your point of view or advice,  when you give them advice they don't like they consider you an idiot

Sailorjohn

• Topic Starter
  • Registered Member
  • My Honda: Honda Jazz SE
« Reply #3 on: May 07, 2021, 09:39:02 PM »
Hi, Thanks for the suggestions,  The engine was warm and had covered about 4 miles before the incident.

Jocko

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
  • My Honda: Died from rust.
« Reply #4 on: May 08, 2021, 09:10:56 AM »
4 miles is not enough to warm up an exhaust. It could just have been condensation from a cold exhaust.

Westy36

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy: Extremely good !!
  • My Honda: 2013 Jazz 1.4 ES Silver
« Reply #5 on: May 08, 2021, 11:36:39 AM »
Once my car is properly warmed up, 10 miles plus, I always make sure he gets to at least 4000 revs once per journey to keep everything working well. Done this on every car I've ever owned. Does them the world of good to be used.

mj1sjc

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2006
« Reply #6 on: May 08, 2021, 06:33:38 PM »
4000 revs on the Jazz or a different car? When I drives my automatic jazz on 70mph the revs are like only at 3000. Unless you're speeding than 70mph?

Once my car is properly warmed up, 10 miles plus, I always make sure he gets to at least 4000 revs once per journey to keep everything working well. Done this on every car I've ever owned. Does them the world of good to be used.

Westy36

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy: Extremely good !!
  • My Honda: 2013 Jazz 1.4 ES Silver
« Reply #7 on: May 08, 2021, 07:20:02 PM »
4000 revs on the Jazz or a different car? When I drives my automatic jazz on 70mph the revs are like only at 3000. Unless you're speeding than 70mph?

Sorry, didn't realise you had an auto. 4000 revs in my Jazz? Yep, every journey without fail. Even if it is just once in the trip. The red line is 6500 revs, so at 4000, it is well within what it is designed to do.  :D

I took a trip to the coast today, and wanted to get home quickly. The car spent 45mins at >3000 revs in 5th. I expect to still get 50+ mpg on the tank full. Mainly I drive fairly sedately, but on occasion, it does the car and me some good to drive at the max speed limit.

« Last Edit: May 10, 2021, 10:11:38 AM by Westy36 »

embee

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2018 Jazz SE CVT
« Reply #8 on: May 10, 2021, 09:54:39 AM »
I've worked all my life in the engine industry, design and development, and I also habitually run my engines at higher speeds every now and then.
The most common mechanical issues with engines are to do with regular slow/cold running, start/stop and 2miles to the shops once a week etc. Something run on the motorway all day will suffer far fewer issues generally speaking.
Piston ring and valve sealing benefit from being run at reasonably high speeds every now and then. Do it once the engine is fully warm and it'll cause absolutely no harm at all, don't worry, modern engines will run all day at max power if you really want to.
A typical engine durability test will be 500hrs cycling between max torque, max power and max speed. They'll do it happily and be in perfectly good condition at the end.
Valves usually start to rotate at around 3000rpm typically (varies engine to engine, but that's typical). It helps enormously to maintain effective sealing if the valves rotate to even out the seating and remove any deposits. Similarly using higher speeds helps keep piston ring grooves clean and the rings free to seal properly.
In my Mk.3 CVT Jazz I select S and use the paddles to choose a lower ratio, 4th say, and hold it at 4000rpm for a couple of minutes while on the motorway.

Tags: