Author Topic: Car Reviews  (Read 3285 times)

Expatman

• Approved Member
Car Reviews
« on: May 07, 2021, 05:32:20 PM »
I wonder why the Crosstar is so rarely included in comparative road reviews of small SUV's or Crossovers? Size, seating height, appearance etc. all match competitors so why do motoring magazines and reviewers all generally ignore the Crosstar?

E27006

• Approved Member
Re: Car Reviews
« Reply #1 on: May 07, 2021, 07:52:27 PM »
I believe other car makers do not want their products being compared side-by-side in print with a car as advanced as the Honda, in any case the car magazines are so reliant on the makers for advertising copy etc,  the magazines reviews are not objective for fear of falling out with the car makers, note  how VW threatened media with cancelling advertising copy over reporting of dieselgate

richardfrost

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: Black 2005 1.4 SE RIP
« Reply #2 on: May 07, 2021, 09:12:53 PM »
Maybe it’s because the Crosstar is neither an SUV nor a crossover. It’s a Jazz jacked up by an inch.

culzean

• Approved Member
« Reply #3 on: May 07, 2021, 09:20:05 PM »
Maybe it’s because the Crosstar is neither an SUV nor a crossover. It’s a Jazz jacked up by an inch.

Just like the original Qashqai was a Nissan Almera jacked up by a few inches  :o
Some people will only consider you an expert if they agree with your point of view or advice,  when you give them advice they don't like they consider you an idiot

Expatman

• Topic Starter
  • Approved Member
« Reply #4 on: May 07, 2021, 10:45:36 PM »

Just like the original Qashqai was a Nissan Almera jacked up by a few inches  :o
And the T-Cross is a Polo jacked up, the Ford Puma is a Fiesta jacked up and the Peugeot 2008 is a 208 jacked up etc. etc. It just depends how much cosmetic work is done but basically they are exactly the same as saying the Crosstar is a Jazz jacked up. richardfrost is right they are all jacked up versions of superminis but the differences made by cosmetics and jacking up are exactly what a lot of people want - an increased ride height and something that looks a bit more rugged.

richardfrost

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: Black 2005 1.4 SE RIP
« Reply #5 on: May 08, 2021, 01:20:47 AM »
No, really. A Ford Puma is a different car to the Fiesta. Sure it’s the same platform but it’s a different car, in the same way the HRV is built on the Jazz platform but is not a Jazz. The Crosstar is a Jazz on one inch stilts with a different trim level. It doesn’t fool anyone. I’m not knocking the car. I quite like it. But it’s not unsurprising that people don’t compare it with SUVs or crossovers. For that, Honda sell the HRV.

peteo48

• Approved Member
  • I have entered the Jazz Age
  • Fuel economy:
  • My Honda: 2021 Honda Jazz Mk4 1.5 i-MMD EX
« Reply #6 on: May 08, 2021, 10:00:54 AM »
Think that's spot on Richard. Seen a number of reviews indicating that the Crossstar is only worthwhile if you really need that extra bit of height. They also do say it rides speed bumps better.

Kenneve

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2023 Jazz Advance e-HEV, Red
« Reply #7 on: May 08, 2021, 11:21:43 AM »
I find that my Mk4 EX Jazz rides better than my previous Mk3.
Not really sure why, although its the first Jazz I've had, NOT running on Dunlop tyres.
This time I'm on Yokohama Bluearth tyres, maybe that the difference, I just don't know.

Anyway, I'm quite happy with the ride and with car generally, now I've figured out how to turn off all the 'gizmos', which were a real PITA and in my opinion quite dangerous in some situations, as described in other recent posts.

Westy36

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy: Extremely good !!
  • My Honda: 2013 Jazz 1.4 ES Silver
« Reply #8 on: May 08, 2021, 11:30:11 AM »
I always see it as Streetwise to Rover 25, or Stepway to Sandero.

Expatman

• Topic Starter
  • Approved Member
« Reply #9 on: May 08, 2021, 12:07:06 PM »
No, really. A Ford Puma is a different car to the Fiesta. Sure it’s the same platform but it’s a different car, in the same way the HRV is built on the Jazz platform but is not a Jazz. The Crosstar is a Jazz on one inch stilts with a different trim level. It doesn’t fool anyone. I’m not knocking the car. I quite like it. But it’s not unsurprising that people don’t compare it with SUVs or crossovers. For that, Honda sell the HRV.
Good point, though I think Honda are aiming the Crosstar at a younger age group so a bit of SUV styling may help marketing. I like the Crosstar because of it’s raised height but am waiting to see and try the new HR-V before deciding. Launch news on the new HR-V is all very promising but it depends on pricing and actual road tests which way I jump.

Bristol_Crosstar

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2023 Jazz Advance Sport
« Reply #10 on: May 08, 2021, 02:51:00 PM »
I don't think there's a strict definition for a crossover, I've always though it as a saloon styled to look like an SUV, nothing more than that.

Expatman

• Topic Starter
  • Approved Member
« Reply #11 on: May 08, 2021, 03:14:21 PM »
Isn’t the real attraction of crossovers the raised seating height? True SUV’s are designed for off road use but according to surveys 90% never see anything more challenging that a damp grass car park. Crossovers provide an elevated driving position but without the complications of 4 wheel drive, off road suspension and underbody protection etc. Just right for the jungle that is the school run or trip to the seaside.

John Ratsey

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2022 HR-V Elegance
« Reply #12 on: May 08, 2021, 03:31:46 PM »
And my Crosstar rides better than the HR-V. :) The road felt smoother when I returned home from the dealer with my Crosstar after taking the HR-V for the trade-in deal.
2022 HR-V Elegance, previously 2020 Jazz Crosstar

Expatman

• Topic Starter
  • Approved Member
« Reply #13 on: May 08, 2021, 04:01:07 PM »
And my Crosstar rides better than the HR-V. :) The road felt smoother when I returned home from the dealer with my Crosstar after taking the HR-V for the trade-in deal.
That's why I will hold off a decision between the Crosstar and HR-V until I've seen and test driven both. Luckily I am not in any rush so can afford to wait.

E27006

• Approved Member
« Reply #14 on: May 13, 2021, 05:23:07 PM »
Isn’t the real attraction of crossovers the raised seating height? True SUV’s are designed for off road use but according to surveys 90% never see anything more challenging that a damp grass car park. Crossovers provide an elevated driving position but without the complications of 4 wheel drive, off road suspension and underbody protection etc. Just right for the jungle that is the school run or trip to the seaside.
The majority of SUVs never see more than a kerbstone to negotiate as the owners selfishly park upon pavements affecting  the safety  of pedestrians and children.  SUVs exist for the benefit of car makers profits. The USA car industry crashed in 2009,  they had given up on low profit high mpg cars, then oil prices rose,  the USA car makers were stuck  with their fuel wasting SUVs in a sales slump, while the Japanese took the market.

Tags: