Author Topic: Car Reviews  (Read 3273 times)

John Ratsey

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2022 HR-V Elegance
Re: Car Reviews
« Reply #15 on: May 13, 2021, 06:01:10 PM »
SUVs exist for the benefit of car makers profits.
I recall that in USA the trend towards SUVs was effectively encouraged by the legislation which set targets for improvement in the fuel economy of vehicles so the manufacturers created a new category of vehicles not covered by the legislation. The SUVs as we know them compete with the enormous pickup trucks which seem to be the favourite among the US vehicle manufacturers.
2022 HR-V Elegance, previously 2020 Jazz Crosstar

richardfrost

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: Black 2005 1.4 SE RIP
« Reply #16 on: May 13, 2021, 06:08:47 PM »
The SUVs as we know them compete with the enormous pickup trucks which seem to be the favourite among the US vehicle manufacturers.

Yes. But what we call an SUV here would be dwarfed by the typical American SUV. Last time I was there, in 2016, we hired a Dodge something or other. You basically fill out the forms and then wander around the car park until you see a car you like, get in, find the keys and paperwork and drive to the exit, where they book the car out to you. The smallest we could find was an 8 seater which swallowed us four adults and all our luggage and could have probably fitted an elephant in the front and one in the back too.

Jazzik

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
  • My Honda: Honda Jazz e:HEV EX(ecutive) 2021 - Premium Sunlight White Pearl, name: Miles (after Miles Davis)...
« Reply #17 on: May 13, 2021, 08:18:59 PM »

Yes. But what we call an SUV here would be dwarfed by the typical American SUV. Last time I was there, in 2016, we hired a Dodge something or other.
.../...
The smallest we could find was an 8 seater which swallowed us four adults and all our luggage and could have probably fitted an elephant in the front and one in the back too.

Strange. At which airport did you put your feet on the earth? Somewhere in the Midwest? The Wild West? Texas?

Last time, 2018, we landed in Salt Lake City and drove off in a Toyota Prius. Also in San Francisco (2016) a Prius.
Maybe try Hertz next time ...
If nothing goes right, go left!

richardfrost

• Approved Member
« Reply #18 on: May 14, 2021, 02:22:31 AM »
San Francisco for a two week road trip. The smallest SUV is what I was talking about as I was comparing SUV sizes. Nothing the size of a Defender, for example. Everything was bigger.

richardfrost

• Approved Member
« Reply #19 on: May 16, 2021, 08:49:09 AM »
Very fair, informative and useful centre spread review of the Mk4 in this weekend's Yorkshire Post motoring section. A bit late to the party but worth a read if you are interested and able.

Jazzik

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
  • My Honda: Honda Jazz e:HEV EX(ecutive) 2021 - Premium Sunlight White Pearl, name: Miles (after Miles Davis)...
« Reply #20 on: May 16, 2021, 01:06:10 PM »
Can this review be found on the internet? If yes a link?
The Yorkshire Post is unfortunately not available here in Poland... :(

Expatman

• Topic Starter
  • Approved Member
« Reply #21 on: May 16, 2021, 04:45:17 PM »
Very fair, informative and useful centre spread review of the Mk4 in this weekend's Yorkshire Post motoring section. A bit late to the party but worth a read if you are interested and able.
Please could you scan and upload to here so we all can read it?

toolroomboy

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: Crosstar
« Reply #22 on: May 16, 2021, 07:33:24 PM »
Here is what it said:

15 May 2021

HONDA JAZZ AND JAZZ CROSSTAR

The complete hatchback? Maybe Honda’s Jazz is that car. Customer loyalty is strong. Now there’s choice between Jazz and its Crosstar spinoff. They share the same economical 1.5 litre petrol engine and selfcharging electrical hybrid assistance and single-speed automatic gearbox. Total power is 108bhp with 185 lb ft of instant torque from the two electric motors.

The model differences are slight. The Crosstar rides a little higher, has wheel arch and sill protection, a different wheel design and a normal radiator grille instead of the Jazz’s rather blank face. Integrated roof rails add to the SUV theme. The furnishings are water repellent. There is a better hi-fi with extra speakers. Capping it off is a two-tone paint finish. Our demo car was black over surf blue.

Performance and economy vary only slightly depending on model, with the Crosstar paying for its bulkier personality. You should expect around 60 miles a gallon and on our tests there was nothing to choose. Both passed the 60mpg mark over our regular hilly country ride, 50mpg on short shopping runs, 62mpg commuting and so on. Indeed the Crosstar shone with 71mpg on a gentle 40-mile intercity route.

Prices for the regular Jazz start at £18,985 for the SE, then £20,585 for the SR and £22,185 for the EX, as tested. The Crosstar is sold only in EX specification, at £23,385. That is

The Honda Jazz, left, and its Crosstar spin-off, right, share the same economical 1.5l petrol engine and hybrid assistance. a £1,200 premium over the Jazz EX, or just over £20 a month more on a three-year PCP deal at £251. That will be tempting if you want the EX grades, which have navigation built in, but note you can get the entry Jazz for £179 a month.

These self-charging hybrids are a major stepping stone to the allelectric future in the next ten years. They need no fuel other than petrol, with the electric batteries being charged whenever you use the car. They are in fact the original hybrid system, pioneered 20 years ago by Honda and Toyota. These days we call them self-charging to avoid confusion with the plug-in hybrid, which relies on mains electricity to fill its batteries to reach well over 100mpg.

The Jazz needs no introduction at all to Honda drivers. Since 2001 it has been a sensible, fuss-free and roomy family hatchback, favouring utility and reliability over sprinting thrills. It features Honda’s uniquely folding rear seats. They can be folded forwards or, the “magic” bit, the bases can be lifted up to fit against the backrest. This creates a very large, secure storage well, measuring 30 inches by 55 inches at its base. Then there is the boot proper, and under the floor a surprise bin for muddy boots or hiding stuff from villains.

As for the 0-62 thing, the Jazz does that in less than 10 seconds.

Its intermediate acceleration benefits from the electric torque but the elephant in the room is hard to avoid. While the single step gearbox is smooth it gets very noisy whilst revving. The elephant under the room is tyre drumming and bump interference. The Jazz was on 185/55/16 Yokohama BluEarth and the Crosstar had fatter Dunlop 185/60/16 Enasave. Of the two, the Crosstar had the edge for ride refinement.

Jazz and Crosstar are completely new. Making its debut is an airbag which inflates between the front seats to avoid driver and passenger banging heads in a collision. There are nine other airbags. All models have climate control, an adaptive speed limiter and cruise control, traffic sign recognition, selfdipping, automatic headlamps, automatic wipers, powered and heated door mirrors, lane departure warning and crash sensing with emergency braking.

The SR adds part-leather trim, parking sensors, wireless smart phone connection and a nineinch touchscreen with connected services such as finding parking, the weather and so on. Honda has fitted the Jazz with a lane-departure system which tugs the steering if the car wanders off line or crosses lanes without the driver indicating.

This fail-safe system can be irritating but is one of the reasons why the Jazz gets high marks in the EuroNcap crash safety tests. Both can be switched off but are always back on duty when you re-start the engine.

The EX grade extras include a rear camera, Garmin navigation, a heated leather wheel and front seats, larger alloys and blind spot information.

As an everyday drive the Jazzes are easy to use. A padded fascia looks friendly and is book-ended by drop-in pods. The cabin is equipped with plenty of other storage areas and with 12v and USB sockets plus two USB in the rear. Space is possibly unrivalled in this Fiestasized class, particularly for all the headroom and leg space in the back. The door apertures and widemouthed opening makes entry and exit easier for large or less agile men and women.

Visibility is helped by the deep windows and for the driver by the slender roof pillars which take the windscreen down the bonnet. There are stouter main roof supports above the door hinges.

From the outside, the Crosstar gets most looks and its two-tone paint may steal your heart, though not mine. I’d take the Jazz SE.

■ Verdict: Sensible, pleasant, economical and functional.

■ It is: two versions, hatchback and SUV-lite Crosstar sharing the frontwheel-drive chassis, a 1.5 petrol engine and electric twin motors. Crosstar rides an inch higher.

■ Price: From £18,895 for the Jazz SE to £23,385 for the Crosstar EX.

■ Size: Length 159 inches (4metres).

■ Economy: Jazz SE/SR 62.8mpg, 102g CO2.

■ 0-62mph: 9.4 seconds.

Downsizer

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: Jazz 1.3 SE cvt - Feb '16 - Blue
« Reply #23 on: May 16, 2021, 10:24:29 PM »
This is the first reviewer I’ve read who chooses the SE version.  I agree, but I would want parking sensors, and I’m hoping they will be standard across the range by the time I buy one.

Kremmen

• Approved Member
  • Civinfo interloper
  • Fuel economy:
  • My Honda: MY22 Jazz EX
« Reply #24 on: May 17, 2021, 04:20:20 AM »
The MY22 is imminent apparently, but when ?
Let's be careful out there !

E27006

• Approved Member
« Reply #25 on: May 17, 2021, 08:41:28 AM »
The MY22 is imminent apparently, but when ?
Just for taking a test drive Honda give you a £500 voucher to use for the purchase, if you buy on finance,  Honda give the  the first 5 years of routine servicing at no cost.

Not only is the Jazz is  a bargain buy, the hybrid drivetrain is way in advance of the competition,  just compare prices with VW Polo or Golf, Ford Fiesta or Vauxhall Corsa or Astra, all utterly conventional cars .It will be many years before VW, Ford or Vauxhall can offer a car to compete with a  Jazz

John Ratsey

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2022 HR-V Elegance
« Reply #26 on: May 17, 2021, 08:50:18 AM »
Here is what it said:
And there's very little that I disagree with.  :)
2022 HR-V Elegance, previously 2020 Jazz Crosstar

Jazzik

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
« Reply #27 on: May 17, 2021, 09:33:39 AM »
Not only is the Jazz is  a bargain buy, the hybrid drivetrain is way in advance of the competition,  just compare prices with VW Polo or Golf, Ford Fiesta or Vauxhall Corsa or Astra, all utterly conventional cars .

You "forgot" one (the only real) competitor, the Toyota Yaris?  ;D
« Last Edit: May 17, 2021, 10:31:15 AM by Jazzik »

Kenneve

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2023 Jazz Advance e-HEV, Red
« Reply #28 on: May 17, 2021, 09:44:33 AM »

HONDA JAZZ AND JAZZ CROSSTAR

Its intermediate acceleration benefits from the electric torque but the elephant in the room is hard to avoid. While the single step gearbox is smooth it gets very noisy whilst revving. The elephant under the room is tyre drumming and bump interference. The Jazz was on 185/55/16 Yokohama BluEarth and the Crosstar had fatter Dunlop 185/60/16 Enasave. Of the two, the Crosstar had the edge for ride refinement.

Whilst agreeing with most of the report, I have to take issue with the above, where in my opinion the this Mk4 Jazz is the without doubt the quietest overall Jazz, that I have had.
Certainly the acceleration is much better than previous, which of course is down to the 2x torque of the electric motor.
Noise is only noticeable, when accelerating hard, maybe on a slip road to join a motorway and that noise is not the gearbox, but is the engine revving hard to provide the extra power for the electric motor.
I would submit that any car would sound louder in that situation.
No. overall this Mk4 is a most relaxing drive and I'm easily beating the quoted consumption figures, (currently showing 830 miles at 68.4 mpg)
« Last Edit: May 17, 2021, 09:46:27 AM by Kenneve »

Kremmen

• Approved Member
  • Civinfo interloper
  • Fuel economy:
  • My Honda: MY22 Jazz EX
« Reply #29 on: May 17, 2021, 01:50:30 PM »
I've never seen a bad review for the MK4.

Even the heavily funded by VAG car magazines have nothing bad to say, which is unusual.
Let's be careful out there !

Tags: