Author Topic: Wavy lines on Infotainment screen?  (Read 2899 times)

hypohamish

• Registered Member
  • My Honda: 2017 Jazz Mk3 1.3 i-VTEC EX CVT
Wavy lines on Infotainment screen?
« on: May 04, 2021, 03:39:22 PM »
Hello!

Recently came into ownership of a Mk3 Jazz, and I've noticed these weird lines on my infotainment screen. It doesn't appear to be any sort of overlay, and if the sun hits the screen, they make a lot of it illegible, even to the passenger. So I was wondering what they are, whether they should even be there & if there's anything I can do about them.

Pics below, and thanks in advance for any advice!

Steve_M

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2024 Jazz Crosstar e:HEV
Re: Wavy lines on Infotainment screen?
« Reply #1 on: May 04, 2021, 03:53:13 PM »
As I understand it, that's the touch sensor of the screen, I presume the screen has deteriated in some way causing this to be more visible than normal.

hypohamish

• Topic Starter
  • Registered Member
  • My Honda: 2017 Jazz Mk3 1.3 i-VTEC EX CVT
« Reply #2 on: May 04, 2021, 04:02:16 PM »
As I understand it, that's the touch sensor of the screen, I presume the screen has deteriated in some way causing this to be more visible than normal.

I feared it would be something like that. We hadn't really noticed at first/assumed it would sort of go away or be less noticeable. It's only 3 years old with 18.5k miles on it, a bit baffling that something has happened to the screen to make it more apparent!

I fear if it continues to bother me (along with the lack of Android Auto support), I may take a venture into replacing the entire thing (alas I've come to understand that this is no easy feat, however)

ColinB

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2015 Jazz 1.3 SE manual in Milano Red
« Reply #3 on: May 04, 2021, 04:12:17 PM »
Not the first time someone’s observed this:
https://clubjazz.org/forum/index.php?topic=12941.0

Jocko

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
  • My Honda: Died from rust.
« Reply #4 on: May 04, 2021, 04:14:39 PM »
I don't think the screen is deteriorating. That is just how it is under certain lighting conditions.

trebor1652

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy: 64.7 mpg
  • My Honda: Crosstar Crystal Red Two Tone
« Reply #5 on: May 04, 2021, 04:21:35 PM »
Had my MK3 for 5.5yrs and have never seen this before.
Have you been to the dealership and asked there opinion?
If they can't help get directly in touch with Honda, the longer you leave it the more chance of Honda wiggling out of their responsibilities.

Sent from my moto g(6) using Tapatalk

Downsizer

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: Jazz 1.3 SE cvt - Feb '16 - Blue
« Reply #6 on: May 04, 2021, 07:18:04 PM »
I don't think the screen is deteriorating. That is just how it is under certain lighting conditions.
Yes, normal in sunlight.  Nothing to worry about!

BadgerMk3

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: Jazz Mk3
« Reply #7 on: May 05, 2021, 06:00:37 PM »
Since the original thread linked in post #4, I have been examining my screen in a wide variety of ambient light situations.

I have nothing like the examples posted on either of the threads. If I look closely enough there is a feint grid visible but you do have to look for it. I have not seen the 'sine waves' embedded within the grids.

I've had two of us inspect my screen - today was a good opportunity for greatly varying ambient light conditions -  and even when viewed from both the driver and passenger seats at differing angles, neither of us could replicate what you're seeing.

I did have a quick look at the firmware my unit is running, and it's 09.08C.00.0021 compared to yours at 0F.095.01.0021.

I have no idea if the firmware version is relevant or if adjusting your screen settings will help, but from my personal experience that is not normal.

Downsizer

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: Jazz 1.3 SE cvt - Feb '16 - Blue
« Reply #8 on: May 06, 2021, 01:29:54 PM »
Since the original thread linked in post #4, I have been examining my screen in a wide variety of ambient light situations
Have you tried shining a torch on it?  The grid pattern is a square wave rather than a sine wave.
« Last Edit: May 06, 2021, 02:33:13 PM by Downsizer »

BadgerMk3

• Approved Member
« Reply #9 on: May 06, 2021, 08:26:51 PM »
Since the original thread linked in post #4, I have been examining my screen in a wide variety of ambient light situations
Have you tried shining a torch on it?  The grid pattern is a square wave rather than a sine wave.

Sine wave was just a quote I used as it was the first thing that came into my head to describe the sensor matrix hidden within the grid.

I have no idea why I would want to shine a torch on the screen? It's not something I would do in any driving situation I can imagine and in reality I don't want to go looking for a fault that I appear not to have.

I only posted to inform that I personally have not experienced this anomaly, in the hope that it brought some balance to the thread and may help the OP.

Bazzzer

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2018 Jazz EX Navi

BadgerMk3

• Approved Member
« Reply #11 on: July 15, 2021, 08:38:03 AM »
You lot have jinxed me...

In specific light conditions whilst parked in my drive the other day, the grid was very noticeable and I've now joined the "visible grid" club.  ::)

Tags:

anything