Author Topic: Jacking and Axle Stand Help Asking  (Read 2372 times)

DavidA

• Registered Member
  • My Honda: Honda Jazz 2006 Mk 1 1.2 L
Jacking and Axle Stand Help Asking
« on: May 03, 2021, 08:16:49 PM »
Hello Fellow Jazz owners!

My recent purchase is a 2006 Honda Jazz 1.2.

I also bought some jack stands like these:
       https://www.amazon.co.uk/AmazonBasics-Steel-Jack-Stands-Capacity/dp/B0753PM57V

I want to put the car on 4 of these, to give piece of mind and stability when working.

I know the manual states only the 4 scissor jack / pinch weld reinforced / jacking points are suitable for the jack the car comes with.

I dont really understand how to put the car onto the stands while you are using the jack.

Do you think I could buy a rubber/plastic cover for the jack stans, and just jack it up on the non reinforced sills 'next' to the reinforced point, then lower the car onto the jack stands (and jack stand rubber covers to protect the metal). Maybe I could use a rubber jack stand cover with the jack to further spread the weight on the non reinforced sill its lifting?

I really dont see how else to safely get it onto the stands?

My question is one that has already been asked, but I couldn't find a definitive answer.

Im a  'by the book mechanic' and I like when things go smoothly and as the  designers sort of intended. Im a beginner.

How did Honda allow for people to raise the car?

I'm wondering at what locations the garages that service these cars place the arms one their car lifts? And do they put them in correct and safe locations?

Regards

Jocko

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
  • My Honda: Died from rust.
Re: Jacking and Axle Stand Help Asking
« Reply #1 on: May 03, 2021, 08:46:35 PM »
Welcome. Axle stands are a great safe way to support the car but I would not use four axle stands at the same time.
A workmate and I were working on his car which we had raised on four axle stands. As I leant into the open engine bay (we were replacing a rear brake pipe), I pushed the car back off the axle stands. Only the back wheels had been removed but the car fell pushing one of the axle stands through the floor of the car. He had to have a patch welded in and I had a buckled and useless axle stand.

madasafish

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 1.4 ES CVT -2012
« Reply #2 on: May 04, 2021, 08:20:47 AM »
I place axle stands under the suspension arms - wheel end.
If the suspension can support the weight of the car, an axle stand is not going to do any harm.

I always make sure it is secure before lowering jack.

culzean

• Approved Member
« Reply #3 on: May 04, 2021, 10:36:23 AM »
I have pondered the same problem as you, Axle stands by there very name are designed to go under the axle, the problem then is with modern cars, is the axle strong enough to support the car ? I do not think so, it has not been designed for that.

An Axle that will not support the weight of its own corner of the vehicle - well I never  :o  What are those designers thinking ?
Some people will only consider you an expert if they agree with your point of view or advice,  when you give them advice they don't like they consider you an idiot

Droneranger

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: Honda Jazz 1.4 iDSi SE GE3 2007
« Reply #4 on: May 04, 2021, 10:49:01 AM »
I have pondered the same problem as you, Axle stands by there very name are designed to go under the axle, the problem then is with modern cars, is the axle strong enough to support the car ? I do not think so, it has not been designed for that.

An Axle that will not support the weight of its own corner of the vehicle - well I never  :o  What are those designers thinking ?

You have changed your view on this since an 2018 post of yours on the same subject, that i was reading earlier.

culzean

Approved Member
        View Profile Email Personal Message (Offline)

Re: Centre line jacking points for Jazz?
« Reply #1 on: March 31, 2018, 08:01:22 PM »

Thank You

Jack it using the proper reinforced points just behind front wheels and just in front of rear wheels.  Jacking anywhere else is asking for trouble.

That 'rear axle' as you call it is a torsion beam member for rear suspension, it is thin wall and carefully designed to twist - easily damaged as well.

I would use two jacks and maybe axle stands as well,  one each side in proper place if you really must raise the whole front or rear end.
« Last Edit: March 31, 2018, 09:19:01 PM by culzean »
Report to moderator   Logg

culzean

• Approved Member
« Reply #5 on: May 04, 2021, 10:55:35 AM »
It is wise to put something like wood on top of axle stands ( which often have a smallish 'V' on top ) to make sure it does not 'dig in' to thinner sections,  but the strength is there, axle has to support weight of car + shock loading from the road,  it is all about how you protect the thinner section from 'point loading'.  I have also posted that I sometimes put axle stands next to jacking points under the cills - but put wood or something else between axle stand and the seam on the body - again to spread the loading from a point load to something of a larger area.   Jocko remarked that an axle stand 'pierced' the floor pan on his friends car,  that is the difference between point contact and something spread out more.
« Last Edit: May 04, 2021, 10:59:48 AM by culzean »
Some people will only consider you an expert if they agree with your point of view or advice,  when you give them advice they don't like they consider you an idiot

Westy36

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy: Extremely good !!
  • My Honda: 2013 Jazz 1.4 ES Silver
« Reply #6 on: May 04, 2021, 05:26:22 PM »
It is wise to put something like wood on top of axle stands ( which often have a smallish 'V' on top ) to make sure it does not 'dig in' to thinner sections,  but the strength is there, axle has to support weight of car + shock loading from the road,  it is all about how you protect the thinner section from 'point loading'.  I have also posted that I sometimes put axle stands next to jacking points under the cills - but put wood or something else between axle stand and the seam on the body - again to spread the loading from a point load to something of a larger area.   Jocko remarked that an axle stand 'pierced' the floor pan on his friends car,  that is the difference between point contact and something spread out more.
This is almost exactly what I do. Jack the car up using its jacking point. Hockey puck on the trolley jack to protect the car. I then use two axle stands, without their top part eg just the base of the axle stands. I use a 2ft length of 2"x4" across both stand bases. Once the car is in the air, put the axle stands in place with the wood across both of them, I and then lower the car onto the wood and stands.

Being cautious, I also leave the trolley jack in place and give the motor a bit of a nudge to make sure I'm happy. I have a couple of old 50lb weights that I use as wheel chocks for the other end of the car. Safety first.

Brendan976

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: Mk 1 Gd 2004,dsi cvt 1.4
« Reply #7 on: May 04, 2021, 08:16:25 PM »
I have a pair of jack stands similar to yours although not the same brand as mini came from Costco. I was reading an article about Harbor freight jack stands from the USA. These stands have a habit of collapsing unexpectedly. These stand look remarkable like our jack stands. I would not be surprised if these were all made in China and then rebadged for a variety of companies. I have adapted mine using an old spanner to wedge the stand which makes unable to collapse with the spanner in place. I will not use these jacks without the spanner in situ.

DavidA

• Topic Starter
  • Registered Member
  • My Honda: Honda Jazz 2006 Mk 1 1.2 L
« Reply #8 on: May 06, 2021, 05:53:21 PM »
Wow a lot of activity for the mark 1 jazz!

Good stuff now on to reading all this good info...

Thanks!

Tags: