Author Topic: Backbox just dropped off.  (Read 3313 times)

Jocko

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
  • My Honda: Died from rust.
Re: Backbox just dropped off.
« Reply #15 on: May 04, 2021, 11:32:43 AM »
Glad your back on the road Jocko one less worry for the moment.
Thanks. Luckily I was never really off the road. Just on the road but noisy.

E27006

• Approved Member
« Reply #16 on: May 04, 2021, 12:21:30 PM »
OBDII plug in diagnostic devices  or not, there is still the need to understand the correct and proper components of the car.

here is an example:

http://www.diagnosedan.com/wideband-o2-sensors-narrowband-o2-sensors-and-fuel-trim/

A  failed  sensor reading   the exhaust gas composition causing the ECU to fuel trim the injection system  to run an incorrect lean setting and the engine to consequently misfire, the OBDII readings are accurate and plain to read, but  need the expert eye for interpretation the readings so   to logically narrow down the failure to a single  component.
« Last Edit: May 04, 2021, 03:03:56 PM by E27006 »

Westy36

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy: Extremely good !!
  • My Honda: 2013 Jazz 1.4 ES Silver
« Reply #17 on: May 04, 2021, 05:29:41 PM »
Pleased your exhaust was sorted. Another thing less to worry about.

I have a 16yo son that is interested in fixing motors. He did his work experience at Audi and really enjoyed it. We worked together servicing and repairing an old Astra G I ran for six months.

I think having grown up in a household where Dad repairs his own cars and cleans them has clearly influenced him.

Turns 17 at the end of May. L-plates are ready!  :D

Jocko

• Topic Starter
  • Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
« Reply #18 on: May 04, 2021, 05:46:20 PM »
My dad and I started working on cars together. He had never bothered but because I was interested he joined in. We bought a very big, very expensive, Gordon's toolkit between us, and over the years added to it. Most of it is still in my garage (minus the bits my son-in-law purloined). Working with dad is brilliant.

Westy36

• Approved Member
« Reply #19 on: May 05, 2021, 07:43:30 PM »
That sounds good Jocko. Nice you've still got the tools.

My lad was helping when we fitted new discs and pads to the back of our Jazz. Very useful. He is quite capable of getting a car safely up on axle stands and a wheel removed. No problems using tools. Just like all of us, it takes time to build the skills. I'm still learning after 30yrs of tinkering.

Kremmen

• Approved Member
  • Civinfo interloper
  • Fuel economy:
  • My Honda: MY22 Jazz EX
« Reply #20 on: May 06, 2021, 03:32:23 AM »
Years ago I did all my servicing but these days where they ideally need plugging in and diagnosing I feel happier leaving it to the experts.
Let's be careful out there !

Westy36

• Approved Member
« Reply #21 on: May 06, 2021, 07:40:22 AM »
Years ago I did all my servicing but these days where they ideally need plugging in and diagnosing I feel happier leaving it to the experts.
From the electronics side of things, I know what you mean. The oily bits are the same though. Some cars need new parts coding to them, which makes DIY more complicated.

bus_ter

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2006 Jazz SE
« Reply #22 on: May 14, 2021, 10:50:42 PM »

John came along this evening and fitted a new backbox for me. The rain was coming down like stair rods. He bought the box and fittings from Dingbro at a total cost of £74. I gave him a round £90 for fitting it. That is £50 cheaper than the same box fitted by Kwik Fit, 3 years ago.

The last one only lasted three years?! Made out of tin foil?!

Jocko

• Topic Starter
  • Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
« Reply #23 on: May 15, 2021, 11:45:18 AM »
Kwik fit, 2 year guarantee. New one identical. Pipe corroded at the joint. Rest of box like brand new (still with label intact).

bus_ter

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2006 Jazz SE
« Reply #24 on: May 15, 2021, 11:53:07 PM »
Kwik fit, 2 year guarantee. New one identical. Pipe corroded at the joint. Rest of box like brand new (still with label intact).

Where the spring bolts are? Could it be they were too tight and not allowing the necessary flex and movement?

Jocko

• Topic Starter
  • Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
« Reply #25 on: May 16, 2021, 11:50:57 AM »
Kwik Fit, so could be.

JonnyJazz

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2005 Jazz Sport GD1
« Reply #26 on: May 16, 2021, 12:54:42 PM »
That sounds good Jocko. Nice you've still got the tools.

My lad was helping when we fitted new discs and pads to the back of our Jazz. Very useful. He is quite capable of getting a car safely up on axle stands and a wheel removed. No problems using tools. Just like all of us, it takes time to build the skills. I'm still learning after 30yrs of tinkering.

I have always done all my own car & motorcycle servicing although I draw the line at grovelling on the drive in the pissing rain. My son has just started driving but has no interest at all in mechanics :( In fact, his older sister was far more interested when I serviced her car recently and commented on how easy it was and how she could do it herself next time. I doubt she’ll want to get dirty though  ;)

Jocko

• Topic Starter
  • Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
« Reply #27 on: May 16, 2021, 01:32:29 PM »
I reached a stage with my SAAB 99s (pigs to work on) when I decided it was better to do a Sunday morning O/T shift and pay a garage to repair my car. At work, I was repairing equipment in the warm and dry. If I needed a part I went to the stores. If I broke a part removing it I went to the stores. If a part wasn't available we ordered it and the machine stayed down and I didn't need to get the bus to work on Monday morning!

Bazzzer

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2018 Jazz EX Navi
« Reply #28 on: May 16, 2021, 03:26:55 PM »
All it needs is some engineering training and you can service anything

Jocko

• Topic Starter
  • Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
« Reply #29 on: May 16, 2021, 03:41:57 PM »
All brains and no common sense. We once had a very clever engineer, a Ph.D. Physics, ask our machinist to do some work for him which involved turning one piece and milling the other. The machinist said "I'll do the turning first then I will do the milling". Brainiac asked if he could do a little bit of each until the job was finished, "That way I will get both pieces at more or less the same time.". The laughter from the machine shop could be heard throughout the entire engineering department.

Tags:

anything