Author Topic: Backbox just dropped off.  (Read 3329 times)

Jocko

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
  • My Honda: Died from rust.
Backbox just dropped off.
« on: May 02, 2021, 04:46:06 PM »
As I have said elsewhere I have had a developing "burble" from my exhaust. Today we had just returned from another 80-mile trip to visit my wife's mother in the hospital. I reversed up to the garage and as I opened the door my wife took a bit of shopping out of the car and headed for our flat. As I started the engine the Backbox broke free and dropped onto the ground. Most fortuitous and certainly better than the City Bypass of the Queensferry Crossing. As soon as I got up to the house I tried phoning round for the quickest repair, but as it is a Sunday the reply was the same. "We can get you one tomorrow".
The problem is, we are on standby to get a phone call at any time, and knowing fate, we will get the call when the car is off the road. A taxi to RIE is exorbitant and I was even considering phoning Enterprise and hiring a car. They have an Aygo for £49.59, cheaper than taxi fares.
Once the exhaust had time to cool and I had time to boil I went down to the garage. On examination, I was delighted to find that the middle section was complete and secured at both ends, so there was no danger of it falling off. With a bit of a struggle I managed to get the backbox free from the rubber hangers, so I can at least use the car, should the need arise, before it is fixed. I put the car back in the garage sounding like something from Bullitt.
The joys of motoring.

swhull

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: Honda Jazz Si 1.4 i-vtec
Re: Backbox just dropped off.
« Reply #1 on: May 02, 2021, 04:50:20 PM »
Argh, nightmare, always on a Sunday… at least it’s still drivable if you need. Hopefully you can quickly get a new one fitted!

Kremmen

• Approved Member
  • Civinfo interloper
  • Fuel economy:
  • My Honda: MY22 Jazz EX
« Reply #2 on: May 02, 2021, 04:53:54 PM »
Do you get the impression the car is trying to tell you something since you looked for a possible replacement :)
Let's be careful out there !

Jocko

• Topic Starter
  • Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
« Reply #3 on: May 02, 2021, 04:57:27 PM »
Do you get the impression the car is trying to tell you something since you looked for a possible replacement :)
It's not doing itself any favours.

E27006

• Approved Member
« Reply #4 on: May 02, 2021, 06:34:31 PM »
You posted you have health issues and cannot do the work yourself,  for this fix you need an old-fashioned friendly neighbour, someone  handy with basic DIY car skills, no need for an expert , just give him the new part and  it is just a couple of bolts to deal with.  It used to be that every street or road  had a neighbour  you could ask for a bit of help with a car repair.  Do they still exist?

Those back-boxes are only £20 to £30 post free from Ebay,  I guess Kwikfit will want £100 for the job

Jocko

• Topic Starter
  • Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
« Reply #5 on: May 02, 2021, 07:28:57 PM »
My son-in-law is a mechanic so he will replace it for me. I managed to get down on the ground and remove the backbox. It had rusted through close to the clamp so unfortunately the tin can idea wouldn't work.

When I had my FIAT 126 my exhaust had been patched so often that the three pipes were all that was left of the original. We spent so much time repairing exhausts on the night shift that it would have been in the companies interest just to give a chit for Kwik Fit for anyone who needed an exhaust repaired.

culzean

• Approved Member
« Reply #6 on: May 02, 2021, 08:51:31 PM »
I do not know how handy you are at repairs, but you could get a tin can open it at both ends, then cut it from top to bottom, wrap it around the broken exhaust pipe tightly and secure with a couple of jubilee clips or exhaust clamps.  :)

Car will be noisier than normal without back box,  but still driveable ( Harley Owners can get away with 120dB straight through pipes )- it still has CAT and centre box to quieten things down.  As long as broken pipe isn't banging around or dragging on road  :o
Some people will only consider you an expert if they agree with your point of view or advice,  when you give them advice they don't like they consider you an idiot

GGT

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2020 Jazz EX NAVI CVT
« Reply #7 on: May 02, 2021, 09:19:41 PM »
Back box on my old 05 plate came away completely whilst I was driving along a country road a few months ago. Had to pull over and run back and pick it up. Car drove fine. Wasn't even particularly noisy. As previously said, you've still got the centre section and cat to quiet things down. Worst thing in my case was it dislodged the rear bumper and broke some of its fixings as it came away. It was only then that I realised the power of Gorilla glue (the bumper not the back box). That event triggered the car's departure. Upon inspection, the centre section was rusty as anything and later started blowing big time. Its flange and the cat flange couldn't be separated due to corrosion. All in all, a back box dropping off on its own shouldn't be a show stopper.

Jocko

• Topic Starter
  • Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
« Reply #8 on: May 02, 2021, 09:27:48 PM »
As long as broken pipe isn't banging around or dragging on road
That is what I was concerned about and went down to the garage with a few wire coat hangers. However, the middlebox is strong (replaced with the cat four years ago) and securely held. Item 8 holds the pipe at the rear of the box securely and two items 10's hold it firmly ahead of the box. Plus it is securely mounted to the cat.
At normal driving revs, the exhaust just sounds "sweet" (no louder than many sports pipes) and it is only if you let it rip that it becomes plod attracting.

GGT

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2020 Jazz EX NAVI CVT
« Reply #9 on: May 02, 2021, 09:49:37 PM »
Given what you've said I don't think you've got a major problem. Just get it in somewhere when you can.

E27006

• Approved Member
« Reply #10 on: May 03, 2021, 07:12:40 AM »
My son-in-law is a mechanic so he will replace it for me. I managed to get down on the ground and remove the backbox. It had rusted through close to the clamp so unfortunately the tin can idea wouldn't work.

It is quite rare to see the DIY mechanic repairing his car at home, As a DIY mechanic I perform all my repairs and servicing on my cars,  motorbikes and bicycles.

Neighbours marvel when they see me working on my car, just a simple service, change engine oil and filter, they query "who taught you to do that" as if it requires a BSc to drain sump oil , well it is not rocket science to drain oil, change a filter and refill with fresh oil. I also explain the cost and time advantage, I can change the oil in less time than I take for the double round trip to the service point, and, it takes several hours of paid employment (disposable income) to pay the bill at the service point. It is a concern that for many the simple mechanical skills requiring handtools and common sense have been lost?
I blame the modern education system, classes such as woodwork and metalwork are considered obsolete, yet gave boys the opportunity to acquire confidence in mechanical skills, dads would show sons how to use tools.
A local Science Academy has a Primary Technology Workshop, I thought of a metalwork shop with Lathes and milling machines, Quite Wrong,  Primary Technology in a Science Academy is apparently a Pottery class, and in the Academy  Taps are not BA or Metric , only heel or toe on a wooden floor.

« Last Edit: May 03, 2021, 07:27:31 AM by E27006 »

culzean

• Approved Member
« Reply #11 on: May 03, 2021, 11:01:57 AM »

It is quite rare to see the DIY mechanic repairing his car at home, As a DIY mechanic I perform all my repairs and servicing on my cars,  motorbikes and bicycles.

Neighbours marvel when they see me working on my car, just a simple service, change engine oil and filter, they query "who taught you to do that" as if it requires a BSc to drain sump oil , well it is not rocket science to drain oil, change a filter and refill with fresh oil. I also explain the cost and time advantage, I can change the oil in less time than I take for the double round trip to the service point, and, it takes several hours of paid employment (disposable income) to pay the bill at the service point. It is a concern that for many the simple mechanical skills requiring handtools and common sense have been lost?
I blame the modern education system, classes such as woodwork and metalwork are considered obsolete, yet gave boys the opportunity to acquire confidence in mechanical skills, dads would show sons how to use tools.
A local Science Academy has a Primary Technology Workshop, I thought of a metalwork shop with Lathes and milling machines, Quite Wrong,  Primary Technology in a Science Academy is apparently a Pottery class, and in the Academy  Taps are not BA or Metric , only heel or toe on a wooden floor.

I agree,  many older DIY mechanics have to give it up because of various health problems,  but most younger ones never even start doing it..   Blame schools and the health and safety culture in UK which means a hi-vis vest and safety glasses, gloves and hard hat just to mow the lawn  :(

Mind you I have a feeling that if it can't be done by Alexa, a click on a tablet or mouse many younger ones would not be interested anyway  :(

Also it is taboo to have male and female subjects these days -
Some people will only consider you an expert if they agree with your point of view or advice,  when you give them advice they don't like they consider you an idiot

Jocko

• Topic Starter
  • Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
« Reply #12 on: May 03, 2021, 05:10:29 PM »
When I first started driving I was so hard up I had to do my own repairs. We were driving 20-year-old cars and they always needed work done, just to keep them going. There was no way you could afford to use a garage. "The AA Book of the Car" was a great knowledge source, and a Haynes manual was a must.
Modern cars are all electronics and a novice driver hasn't a snowball's chance in Hell to do their own work. Add to that how few teenagers even bother driving these days and it is easy to see how the home mechanic is dying out.

John came along this evening and fitted a new backbox for me. The rain was coming down like stair rods. He bought the box and fittings from Dingbro at a total cost of £74. I gave him a round £90 for fitting it. That is £50 cheaper than the same box fitted by Kwik Fit, 3 years ago.

culzean

• Approved Member
« Reply #13 on: May 04, 2021, 10:34:17 AM »
If you looked at some other forums you would see that a lot of younger drivers are still doing their own work on cars, they are still in the same situation that we were, trying to do a lot, without a lot of money.
Of course the same as in our day, most people do not have the apitude to work on any machines.
However today they have OBD reader apps on their phones, to enable the car to inform them of their car fault codes.
Most sensors are easy to change.
Youtube to watch how to do a lot of jobs. Information from around the world online.
Far more reliable cars that do not need the servicing our old cars needed.
The whole online marketplace to buy tools and parts far cheaper then they used to be.

Starting off fixing bicycles,  then moving onto motorbikes and then cars learnt people a lot about how things worked and were put together. Removing and stripping down engines for reconditioning  was commonplace, this all led to good diagnostic skills.  Plugging in an OBD reader to pinpoint a problem down to one cylinder or sensor hardly counts as 'diagnostics', it is the plug and play mouse clicking method.  Sure vehicles more complex now ( mainly due to emission controls ) - but a lot more help available online and from electronic readers.

guest9236

« Reply #14 on: May 04, 2021, 11:08:55 AM »
When I first started driving I was so hard up I had to do my own repairs. We were driving 20-year-old cars and they always needed work done, just to keep them going. There was no way you could afford to use a garage. "The AA Book of the Car" was a great knowledge source, and a Haynes manual was a must.
Modern cars are all electronics and a novice driver hasn't a snowball's chance in Hell to do their own work. Add to that how few teenagers even bother driving these days and it is easy to see how the home mechanic is dying out.

John came along this evening and fitted a new backbox for me. The rain was coming down like stair rods. He bought the box and fittings from Dingbro at a total cost of £74. I gave him a round £90 for fitting it. That is £50 cheaper than the same box fitted by Kwik Fit, 3 years ago.

Glad your back on the road Jocko one less worry for the moment.

Tags: