Author Topic: Key fob deactivation  (Read 4821 times)

mosessage

• Registered Member
  • My Honda: Honda Jazz Mk 4
Key fob deactivation
« on: May 02, 2021, 01:33:57 PM »
The Mk 4 Owners Manual states that the key fob's signal reception can be switched off by holding down both the buttons at the same time for 3 seconds. This reduces key fob battery consumption, but does this also reduce the potential for so-called "relay crime", and make the use of faraday cages unnecessary?

Jazzik

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
  • My Honda: Honda Jazz e:HEV EX(ecutive) 2021 - Premium Sunlight White Pearl, name: Miles (after Miles Davis)...
Re: Key fob deactivation
« Reply #1 on: May 02, 2021, 02:10:42 PM »
I suppose yes! At least it does with the Toyota key fobs, I suppose the Honda fob works the same:

You can disarm the keyless system once. This is called Energy Saving Mode. When the power saving function is enabled, the battery will drain less quickly. The radio waves from the electric key are then stopped and the 'keyless entry' function is then switched off. This will prevent thieves from picking up the signal from the key and using it to open and start your vehicle.

If you hold down the "close button" (In the red box)
And press the "open button" twice (in the green box) then the key switches to the energy-saving mode.
You can recognize this by the red light which will flash 4 times.
Pay attention! the function switches off when you press one button.

Translated from: https://www.vanekris.nl/toyota-nieuws/voorkom-mogelijke-diefstal-bij-keyless-entry/
« Last Edit: May 02, 2021, 03:23:45 PM by Jazzik »
If nothing goes right, go left!

Jocko

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
  • My Honda: Died from rust.
« Reply #2 on: May 02, 2021, 02:23:38 PM »
When did this become a Toyota forum?

Jazzik

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
  • My Honda: Honda Jazz e:HEV EX(ecutive) 2021 - Premium Sunlight White Pearl, name: Miles (after Miles Davis)...
« Reply #3 on: May 02, 2021, 02:57:08 PM »
If I could have found the information for the Honda key fob I would post it here. Then it would remain a "pure" and "clean" Honda forum, wouldn't it?
Unfortunately, I did not find that information. But maybe Jocko can help mosessage better?  ;)

Bristol_Crosstar

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2023 Jazz Advance Sport
« Reply #4 on: May 02, 2021, 06:33:06 PM »
I've been doing this after I've put my Crosstar in the garage and can confirm I can't get back in the car the next day unless I press one of the fob buttons

Jazzik

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
« Reply #5 on: May 02, 2021, 07:02:58 PM »
So... not Jocko but Bristoll_Crosstar confirmed!  ;D

John Ratsey

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2022 HR-V Elegance
« Reply #6 on: May 02, 2021, 07:08:56 PM »
The handbook could be more explicit but this is mentioned as a margin note on page 169 of the on-line (PDF) version of the owner's handbook. See 2nd para of the attached extract. When I got my Crosstar I demonstrated this to the salesman who was unaware of this feature.

It's best to press and hold down the lock button first then press the unlock button until the little red LED flashes (it seems longer than 3 seconds). Don't forget to also do this to the spare remote.

2022 HR-V Elegance, previously 2020 Jazz Crosstar

mosessage

• Topic Starter
  • Registered Member
  • My Honda: Honda Jazz Mk 4
« Reply #7 on: May 02, 2021, 07:25:44 PM »
Thanks All - Yes I saw page 169, but what confused me somewhat was the statement that the "reception" will be turned off. I would have thought that switching off the transmission would be more important, since that is what the relay thieves are presumably after. But maybe if the reception is negated then the keyfob cannot answer.
It's just that I was looking to buy a faraday pouch, all of which seem a little bulky for pockets, and therefore if the keyfob can be isolated, then the pouches wouldn't be necessary.

John Ratsey

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2022 HR-V Elegance
« Reply #8 on: May 02, 2021, 08:38:49 PM »
The wording isn't good: Effectively (if not in reality) transmission is turned off because the reception is disabled. I presume the system operates by the vehicle (which has the bigger battery) doing the frequent transmitting of a signal and the remote then pings back a reply to form the connection. If the remote can't receive then it won't transmit.

As already noted, you can test this by approaching the vehicle with a disabled remote. The vehicle won't unlock until you wake up the remote. This also means that a disabled remote can't be used for a relay attack (which was your original question). It's unfortunate that this important security feature isn't mentioned more prominently in the book. Perhaps Honda didn't want to emphasise this as a new and useful feature because people might ask why it wasn't done sooner.
2022 HR-V Elegance, previously 2020 Jazz Crosstar

Kremmen

• Approved Member
  • Civinfo interloper
  • Fuel economy:
  • My Honda: MY22 Jazz EX
« Reply #9 on: May 03, 2021, 04:04:53 AM »
Controversial, but I always considered the possibility that some manufacturers maybe wanted cars stolen and wrecked. They then get to sell another car via insurance.

Just me over thinking :)

Let's be careful out there !

Expatman

• Approved Member
« Reply #10 on: May 03, 2021, 09:00:12 AM »
Controversial, but I always considered the possibility that some manufacturers maybe wanted cars stolen and wrecked. They then get to sell another car via insurance.

Just me over thinking :)
Gosh, and I thought I was an old cynic!!

H_5hum

• Registered Member
  • My Honda: Honda Jazz Hybrid EX e-HEV
« Reply #11 on: May 19, 2021, 03:33:56 PM »
Hi All :)

I am quite glad this is possible. This was one of the questions were were asking at the Honda Dealership, and they were not aware that the key-less entry could be switched off.

Once it has been switched off, I presume it would stay that way? At least until you activate it again? (It wont automatically switch back on after you start the car again?)

thanks

Jocko

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
  • My Honda: Died from rust.
« Reply #12 on: May 19, 2021, 03:53:23 PM »
Welcome to the forum. I think you would have to re-activate it to start the car.

Kremmen

• Approved Member
  • Civinfo interloper
  • Fuel economy:
  • My Honda: MY22 Jazz EX
« Reply #13 on: May 19, 2021, 04:11:46 PM »
You need to activate it or you won't be able to get in to start the car.

IIRC you press any button to reactivate it.
Let's be careful out there !

H_5hum

• Registered Member
  • My Honda: Honda Jazz Hybrid EX e-HEV
« Reply #14 on: May 19, 2021, 07:00:16 PM »
So its not as simple as 'de-activating' it and continue using the key fob as normal (one click lock and unlock)?

I guess I will have to wait for the car and start playing around with it  :D

Thanks for the replies! You will probably see me about with more silly questions then  ;)

Tags:

anything