Author Topic: Enjoyment of driving the Mk4 Jazz  (Read 14299 times)

culzean

• Approved Member
Re: Enjoyment of driving the Mk4 Jazz
« Reply #45 on: April 29, 2021, 06:57:11 PM »
According to the Daily Telegraph this morning the cost of insuring a self drive car will be prohibitive for years until the insurance industry can properly evaluate and price the risk.
Hopefully not in my lifetime.

Well presumably if an autonomous vehicle has a crash the obvious ones to blame will be the vehicle ma manufacturer.....this could make dieselgate look like a kid's party...
But maybe the driver activated it in the wrong conditions, or touched the controls inadvertently etc.etc. This is a lawyers dream of claim and counter claim..........!

With fully autonomous vehicles promised there is no driver, no human input except destination address.  - you can send empty car to pick kids up from school and bring them home, no longer any need for parent to miss day time TV...  You could be drunk in the car and police could not touch you. Mind you, AV as promised will not be available before climate change has killed the planet.
Some people will only consider you an expert if they agree with your point of view or advice,  when you give them advice they don't like they consider you an idiot

Expatman

• Approved Member
« Reply #46 on: April 29, 2021, 07:21:32 PM »
According to the Daily Telegraph this morning the cost of insuring a self drive car will be prohibitive for years until the insurance industry can properly evaluate and price the risk.
Hopefully not in my lifetime.

Well presumably if an autonomous vehicle has a crash the obvious ones to blame will be the vehicle ma manufacturer.....this could make dieselgate look like a kid's party...

With fully autonomous vehicles promised there is no driver, no human input except destination address.  - you can send empty car to pick kids up from school and bring them home, no longer any need for parent to miss day time TV...  You could be drunk in the car and police could not touch you. Mind you, AV as promised will not be available before climate change has killed the planet.
But in the short term it sounds as if anyone relying on lane keeping assistance and measured cruise control in slow moving traffic then they possibly won’t be insured!

Jazzik

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
  • My Honda: Honda Jazz e:HEV EX(ecutive) 2021 - Premium Sunlight White Pearl, name: Miles (after Miles Davis)...
« Reply #47 on: April 29, 2021, 07:23:05 PM »
AV as promised will not be available before climate change has killed the planet.

So you think very soon?
If nothing goes right, go left!

madasafish

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 1.4 ES CVT -2012
« Reply #48 on: April 29, 2021, 09:53:44 PM »
Automation means I can drink and drive legally...

foxleys

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: Jazz Hybid EX 2021
« Reply #49 on: May 13, 2021, 12:32:31 PM »
I’ve had my mk4 two months now.

Living & driving in Jersey means a lot of narrow roads.

I tried to stear against the torque stear if it activated.

I now find it better to grip the wheel but let it do it’s thing.

Less tiring.

Maybe I’m doing it wrong, but I prefer to drive this way.

Rod1955

• Registered Member
« Reply #50 on: May 13, 2021, 03:19:56 PM »
My enjoyment of driving this new Mk4 is being marred by the intervention of 'the gizmos'
By that I mean things like, LKAS, CMBS, RDPS etc. LKAS can be switched Off easily on the steering wheel, but the others ........................?

Like many people of my vintage, I started my motoring life, riding motorbikes, starting with a Dot 197, before moving on the a Matchless 500 twin, didn't quite get to the classic Triumph 650 twin, but that's another story!

Part of the Roadcraft in those days, when negotiating a winding country road, was to attempt to 'straighten out' the bends by hugging the kerb at the apex of a LH bend and moving over towards the white line on a RH bend. (I guess Culzean can identify with that) This is something I have continued to do throughout my motoring life. However, if I try this technique with the Mk4, then an invisible hand grabs the steering wheel to moves me back to the middle, most disconcerting!

Yesterday afternoon I came upon a dead straight section of road, perhaps 1/2 mile long, 30mph, absolutely no other traffic, apart from a solitary parked car, perhaps 250 yds ahead. As I approached the car, I moved out to pass it, when all of a sudden the brakes came On. What's that all about?
I reckon, if a car had been following me closely, it could have resulted in an accident, as there was absolutely no need to brake.

Now the Owners Manual tells be, these functions are switched on by default, every time I start the car.
At the moment I'm not a happy bunny!!  Maybe there is a fuse I can pull to disable the these functions permanently?

I should say however, in most other respects, the MK4 is the best Jazz, out of the 6 that I've had.

I understand that these things are necessary to obtain a 5* NCAP rating. Quite why they feel it necessary to include potentially dangerous add-ons remains a mystery.

The lane assist on my Skoda came in really violently. What it would be like on an icy surface is definitely a worry.

If I do buy a Mk4 Jazz, I will learn how to switch off all the nonsense.

Kremmen

• Approved Member
  • Civinfo interloper
  • Fuel economy:
  • My Honda: MY22 Jazz EX
« Reply #51 on: May 13, 2021, 05:04:34 PM »
Same here, laminate a checklist.
Let's be careful out there !

E27006

• Approved Member
« Reply #52 on: May 13, 2021, 05:13:06 PM »
The issue is that no form of transport is 100% safe, autonomous cars will never achieve 100% safety in use,  Human drivers will never achieve 100% safety.
The tipping point is when autonomous cars can match the or exceed the abilities of the human driver.
At which point we have the dilemma, do we ban the human driver on safety grounds or just accept the accident rates of human drivers

culzean

• Approved Member
« Reply #53 on: May 13, 2021, 08:38:23 PM »
The issue is that no form of transport is 100% safe, autonomous cars will never achieve 100% safety in use,  Human drivers will never achieve 100% safety.
The tipping point is when autonomous cars can match the or exceed the abilities of the human driver.
At which point we have the dilemma, do we ban the human driver on safety grounds or just accept the accident rates of human drivers

1 fatality per 100,000,000 miles for human drivers (USA ) is a hard act to follow for AV. Notice how quiet it has gone on AV, and how many have dropped out of trying to making free roaming  self driving vehicles.  If vehicles were on rails it would be easier.
Some people will only consider you an expert if they agree with your point of view or advice,  when you give them advice they don't like they consider you an idiot

tennisl

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2021 Honda Jazz Crosstar
« Reply #54 on: May 19, 2021, 03:09:05 PM »
Quick question. What country MK4 is produced?

IanG

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: Mk4 Jazz EX
« Reply #55 on: May 19, 2021, 03:27:01 PM »
My UK supplied mk4 is made in Japan. Unsure if other countries receive cars manufactured in different countries.

Kenneve

• Topic Starter
  • Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2023 Jazz Advance e-HEV, Red
« Reply #56 on: May 19, 2021, 04:56:50 PM »
My UK supplied mk4 is made in Japan. Unsure if other countries receive cars manufactured in different countries.

+1

tennisl

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2021 Honda Jazz Crosstar
« Reply #57 on: May 19, 2021, 06:13:51 PM »

+1

Thanks, I will have my test drive on Friday at one of local Honda Dealership in Kent

Expatman

• Approved Member
« Reply #58 on: May 19, 2021, 07:52:49 PM »

Let us know how the test drive goes and your immediate impressions of the Crosstar/Jazz.

E27006

• Approved Member
« Reply #59 on: May 19, 2021, 08:23:38 PM »

Just a question about country of origin,  your EX is from Japan,  where are the SE and SR cars manufactured, are they also from Japan?
The VIN number will  give you the country of manufacture, JHM = Japan,  CN = China

Tags:

anything