Author Topic: Pessimistic Fuel Gauge  (Read 6339 times)

Westy36

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy: Extremely good !!
  • My Honda: 2013 Jazz 1.4 ES Silver
Pessimistic Fuel Gauge
« on: April 26, 2021, 05:39:39 PM »
I tend to fill the tank when the needle drops below the half way mark. Today, the needle was suggesting a nearly empty fuel tank. Only took 33.08 litres to fill it! I was expecting to get more in. 

VicW

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 07 Plate Civic 1.8 i-Shift.
Re: Pessimistic Fuel Gauge
« Reply #1 on: April 26, 2021, 06:45:12 PM »
I suggest that's about normal for a Jazz.

Vic

culzean

• Approved Member
« Reply #2 on: April 26, 2021, 06:54:41 PM »
Yes, about normal to have 6 or 7 litres left.  Much rather have a fuel gauge and light that give you a bit of range to find a service station ( which seem to be getting larger but further apart ) than one like Mini or Fiat that leave you with about 20 miles in the tank.  The fuel gauge is neither here or there to me as I rarely let tank get below 50%. 

As long as you know about the gauge I don't see a problem, the tank on Jazz is flatter than normal tanks because it fits under front seats.
« Last Edit: April 26, 2021, 06:56:36 PM by culzean »
Some people will only consider you an expert if they agree with your point of view or advice,  when you give them advice they don't like they consider you an idiot

Westy36

• Topic Starter
  • Approved Member
« Reply #3 on: April 26, 2021, 07:07:52 PM »
Well, it's good to know the guage is normal. Thanks.   

I mostly refill at half way, as I don't want any junk at the bottom of the tank getting in the fuel system and creating problems.

swhull

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: Honda Jazz Si 1.4 i-vtec
« Reply #4 on: April 26, 2021, 07:19:15 PM »
I treated mine to a drink of higher octane Tesco unleaded this morning, was feeling generous   :D  134.9p a litre  :o

Jocko

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
  • My Honda: Died from rust.
« Reply #5 on: April 26, 2021, 07:53:25 PM »
I don't want any junk at the bottom of the tank getting in the fuel system and creating problems.
Modern fuels, big filling stations, and particularly modern petrol tanks have pretty well removed that problem.

Westy36

• Topic Starter
  • Approved Member
« Reply #6 on: April 26, 2021, 07:59:42 PM »
Modern fuels, big filling stations, and particularly modern petrol tanks have pretty well removed that problem.
I'm sure you're right. Its just old logic and something I must have read/heard years ago.

I treated mine to a drink of higher octane Tesco unleaded this morning, was feeling generous   :D  134.9p a litre  :o
Splashing the cash!!  :D

Jocko

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
« Reply #7 on: April 26, 2021, 08:06:49 PM »
I normally wait until the low fuel light comes on before topping up, but at the moment I never know when I may get a call out through the night so I am topping up at about the quarter tank.

Westy36

• Topic Starter
  • Approved Member
« Reply #8 on: April 26, 2021, 08:31:26 PM »
I know what you mean. When we were on call last year with my Mother in law, the tank was always kept >1/2 full.

Jocko

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
« Reply #9 on: April 26, 2021, 08:38:48 PM »
I know what you mean. When we were on call last year with my Mother in law, the tank was always kept >1/2 full.
We have already been called three times to the hospital, once late at night. The last thing I need is having to search for an all-night filling station.

embee

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2018 Jazz SE CVT
« Reply #10 on: April 27, 2021, 02:39:13 PM »
Don't start me on fuel gauges.  >:(
I wish they'd have the option at least of displaying how many litres of fuel are actually in the tank, especially on motorbikes.
The Honda NC bikes started off with bars on an LCD screen which went down then the last one flashed, however there was no telling how long it had been flashing for if you hadn't spotted it, and there was actually about 1/4 of the tank still remaining when it began so you didn't want to refuel for a while in order to get a decent range.
The next generation had a display which began to count up how much (litres/gallons selectable) had been used after the flashing started, but it didn't actually tell you how much was left, you had to work that out yourself based on knowing how much was left when the flashing/count-up started.
FFS, why not just display how many litres are actually in the tank, that's all I want to know.

.......... and breathe ............  ::)

Westy36

• Topic Starter
  • Approved Member
« Reply #11 on: April 27, 2021, 02:49:15 PM »
On bikes, I just reset the trip, and refill soon after 100 miles. I know the range is there for more, but it's worked well for me. I don't ride long distances in one go anyway.

My Suzuki Bandit was the last big bike I had with a actual reserve tap. Old school idea, not sure why manufacturers did away with that.

culzean

• Approved Member
« Reply #12 on: April 27, 2021, 02:52:23 PM »
Don't start me on fuel gauges.  >:(
I wish they'd have the option at least of displaying how many litres of fuel are actually in the tank, especially on motorbikes.
The Honda NC bikes started off with bars on an LCD screen which went down then the last one flashed, however there was no telling how long it had been flashing for if you hadn't spotted it, and there was actually about 1/4 of the tank still remaining when it began so you didn't want to refuel for a while in order to get a decent range.
The next generation had a display which began to count up how much (litres/gallons selectable) had been used after the flashing started, but it didn't actually tell you how much was left, you had to work that out yourself based on knowing how much was left when the flashing/count-up started.
FFS, why not just display how many litres are actually in the tank, that's all I want to know.

.......... and breathe ............  ::)

I had a lot of bikes without a fuel gauge or low fuel light - just had to swish the tank side to side and guess by the sound how much fuel was in there ( not even a dipstick )  my present bike has a miles remaining,  bar gauge with 1/2 gallon per segment and low fuel light..  All this miles remaining etc is the dumbing down of information, a lot of drivers don't even know how many miles a litre will take them. Thing is though once you have used the vehicle a few times and filled the tank you now how much fuel is left when gauge reads half ful, when it reads empty, or after the low fuel light has come on.

My Suzuki Bandit was the last big bike I had with a actual reserve tap. Old school idea, not sure why manufacturers did away with that.

The old tap was something that if you didn't turn it off you could end up with an engine full of petrol, then the vacuum tap appeared where engine inlet manifold vacuum opened the fuel supply - most bikes for many years now have had fuel injection and no tap required.
« Last Edit: April 27, 2021, 03:25:48 PM by culzean »
Some people will only consider you an expert if they agree with your point of view or advice,  when you give them advice they don't like they consider you an idiot

culzean

• Approved Member
« Reply #13 on: April 27, 2021, 03:40:49 PM »
Well, it's good to know the guage is normal. Thanks.   

I mostly refill at half way, as I don't want any junk at the bottom of the tank getting in the fuel system and creating problems.

The fuel pump will pick up fuel from lowest point in tank anyway, even with a full tank - the pickup isn't floating so that it drops as tank empties. Most fuel systems today have big and efficient filters because fuel injection doesn't like bits in the fuel ( the injector holes are very fine ).  Pretty much every car built since 2000 will have a plastic fuel tank, so low fuel level and condensation causing rust is a thing of the past.

2robbie2

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: Jazz Mark 3
« Reply #14 on: April 27, 2021, 04:31:17 PM »
This may divide opinion and I'm certainly no expert on these things, but a mechanic I know told me many years ago that consistently using almost your entire fuel tank was a good thing as you were more likely to avoid poor quality fuel accumulating at the bottom (because it would have been processed by the engine for its intended purpose).

Ever since then, and on a range of previous cars, I have almost always waited for the fuel warning light to come on before filling up (when there is approx. 5-7 litres left in a 40 litre tank). Not sure if that mechanic was right or I've just been lucky, but I've never had any engine problems.

Tags: