Author Topic: Is it just me?  (Read 1973 times)

swhull

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: Honda Jazz Si 1.4 i-vtec
Re: Is it just me?
« Reply #15 on: May 05, 2021, 08:13:41 PM »
Slightly off topic but when did the fog light coming on when turning become a thing? Just seems like new daft ideas spring up every couple of years and they’re everywhere.

culzean

• Approved Member
« Reply #16 on: May 05, 2021, 08:44:49 PM »
Audi drivers will not probably use them. BMW drivers don't use indicators generally anyway. I remember not many years ago when I approached a cyclist in front of me, I would put the indicator on when safe to pass, and when passing, glanced in the wing mirror to see a  line of cars behind me indicating right. I notice now that cars behind me don't indicate to pass anymore. How times have changed !

After you give people auto wipers, auto headlight dip, auto dipping mirrors, auto lane keeping, etc etc. They expect auto direction indicators..... the less you give drivers to do the lazier and less attentive they get.  It's called progress.
Some people will only consider you an expert if they agree with your point of view or advice,  when you give them advice they don't like they consider you an idiot

Jocko

• Topic Starter
  • Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
  • My Honda: Died from rust.
« Reply #17 on: May 05, 2021, 10:10:50 PM »
Slightly off topic but when did the fog light coming on when turning become a thing?
That was actually a good few years back with VW. My brother was still on the Force and they were told that it appeared illegal but not to act on it until it was tested in court. Appears now no force wanted to push it.

Westy36

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy: Extremely good !!
  • My Honda: 2013 Jazz 1.4 ES Silver
« Reply #18 on: May 06, 2021, 07:35:28 AM »
Slightly off topic but when did the fog light coming on when turning become a thing? Just seems like new daft ideas spring up every couple of years and they’re everywhere.
I know the ones you mean. I've not driven a vehicle in the dark that has those, so I am not sure if the are a benefit to the driver. VAG call them cornering lights. Fixing problems that don't exist with more complexity as usual.

richardfrost

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: Black 2005 1.4 SE RIP
« Reply #19 on: May 06, 2021, 08:18:04 AM »
Having read this thread, it seems like it's just me actually.

I have no issue with any of the different designs of rear and indicator lighting. To be brutally honest, in this particular thread, you are all coming across like grumpy old men. Time marches on, designs change, but I really have never had a visibility issues with any rear light clusters.

Clearly complexity in design brings cost and I would agree that unnecessary cost is the definition of luxury. I would love to see a brand new vehicle where cost is kept down by simple, minimalistic design. Where function is more important than form. Kind of like the original Mini, Fiat 500 or Morris Minor, but in a modern interpretation.

Imagine a low cost and yet comfortable EV where all the expense has gone into function. No fancy stereos, electric this and that. Just a really good battery giving you a lot of range. Nothing much to go wrong. Nothing too complicated. Just safety, comfort, reasonably fast charging and a respectable, real world range.

I'd buy that for a dollar.

E27006

• Approved Member
« Reply #20 on: May 06, 2021, 08:54:06 AM »
Not quite the same, but designed into  the much admired Citroen DS of the 1950s. therefore almost  70 years ago, the Citroen DS car  headlights pivoted in reaction to the steering wheel, the driver could "see" around sharp corners, but the Citroen engineers gave a lot more thought into the system than a simple turn it  on/ turn it off setup. Citroen engineers tackled everything, Citroen power steering was also more advanced than just about anything you can find today,  a cleverservo valve gave the car the road  feel of a non-assisted car but with assistance  benefits, I think the valve was known as a Douverin

Jocko

• Topic Starter
  • Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
  • My Honda: Died from rust.
« Reply #21 on: May 06, 2021, 11:56:30 AM »
I have no problems with the design or the cost. I think the sequential indicators are great. Just some cars have very thin LED indicators which I find difficult to see in certain lighting conditions.

Westy36

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy: Extremely good !!
  • My Honda: 2013 Jazz 1.4 ES Silver
« Reply #22 on: May 06, 2021, 09:28:11 PM »
Not quite the same, but designed into  the much admired Citroen DS of the 1950s. therefore almost  70 years ago, the Citroen DS car  headlights pivoted in reaction to the steering wheel, the driver could "see" around sharp corners, but the Citroen engineers gave a lot more thought into the system than a simple turn it  on/ turn it off setup. Citroen engineers tackled everything, Citroen power steering was also more advanced than just about anything you can find today,  a cleverservo valve gave the car the road  feel of a non-assisted car but with assistance  benefits, I think the valve was known as a Douverin
I ran a CX for 6 months in '94. Outstanding ride. Far better than the BX and Xantia I had later. Big Citroen fan.

It used to take my battered old CX nearly a minute to raise its suspension in the morning before I could drive. Just the right amount of time to roll a couple of smokes for the commute to work! Happy days.  :D

Tags:

anything