Author Topic: Dashcam  (Read 3852 times)

DCrofter

• Registered Member
  • My other car is a Honda
  • My Honda: Jazz Crosstar & S2000
Dashcam
« on: April 20, 2021, 09:06:53 AM »
Honda sensing now uses a new camera system rather than radar and lidar to identify objects in front of the vehicle. Assuming the camera produces a suitable picture, wouldn't it be nice if a feed of the video could be available to record providing a Dashcam function without an extra box requiring power sitting on the windscreen?
« Last Edit: April 20, 2021, 09:15:46 AM by DCrofter »

Kremmen

• Approved Member
  • Civinfo interloper
  • Fuel economy:
  • My Honda: MY22 Jazz EX
Re: Dashcam
« Reply #1 on: April 20, 2021, 09:44:39 AM »
Some Citroen models have a built in dashcam and these days it would be a nice discrete addition.

The only snag, like SatNav's, is that the older your car gets the older tech the device is.

What I would be 100% behind is a high enough amp USB socket up behind the mirror to save having to route the 4 metre dashcam cable round the windscreen.
Let's be careful out there !

Bristol_Crosstar

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2023 Jazz Advance Sport
« Reply #2 on: April 20, 2021, 09:56:44 AM »
Honda sensing now uses a new camera system rather than radar and lidar to identify objects in front of the vehicle. Assuming the camera produces a suitable picture, wouldn't it be nice if a feed of the video could be available to record providing a Dashcam function without an extra box requiring power sitting on the windscreen?
Looking in the handbook I read that if the collision mitigation is activated the car records images and saves details of speed, braking etc which can be used for an insurance claim, it can only be extracted by a Honda dealer at the request of the owner or the police in the case of an accident, don't know whether the images are a series of stills or video.

John Ratsey

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2022 HR-V Elegance
« Reply #3 on: April 20, 2021, 06:17:25 PM »
I look on this as a lost opportunity. The built-in camera must be good quality in order to support the claimed safety features and Honda could easily have included an SD card slot to give drivers the option of having a continuous recording (until over-written).
2022 HR-V Elegance, previously 2020 Jazz Crosstar

Bristol_Crosstar

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2023 Jazz Advance Sport
« Reply #4 on: April 20, 2021, 06:51:01 PM »
I look on this as a lost opportunity. The built-in camera must be good quality in order to support the claimed safety features and Honda could easily have included an SD card slot to give drivers the option of having a continuous recording (until over-written).
It might be because dashcams are illegal in some European countries (eg France I believe) so they'd have to provide a modified version for it to be legal there

Jocko

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
  • My Honda: Died from rust.
« Reply #5 on: April 20, 2021, 06:54:12 PM »
France and Belgium, dash cams are restricted to “private use” only.
Then in a few countries, such as Austria and Portugal, dash cam use is completely banned.

TiJazz

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: Jazz Crosstar eHEV
« Reply #6 on: April 21, 2021, 11:36:02 AM »
Technically it’s entirely feasible - Tesla do exactly this for their Sentry Mode and Dashcam features.

They just disable it in certain territories.

What I’d personally be interested in is an output with the computer vision data overlaid, but even Tesla only release short demo clips. Trade secrets and that I guess

RichardA

• Administrator
  • Approved Member
    • https://clubjazz.org
  • My Honda: 2007 1.4 i-DSi Sport manual
« Reply #7 on: April 25, 2021, 11:35:13 AM »
Some Citroen models have a built in dashcam and these days it would be a nice discrete addition.

The only snag, like SatNav's, is that the older your car gets the older tech the device is.

What I would be 100% behind is a high enough amp USB socket up behind the mirror to save having to route the 4 metre dashcam cable round the windscreen.

I think there's a Skoda model that features a USB port next the rear view mirror.

France and Belgium, dash cams are restricted to “private use” only.
Then in a few countries, such as Austria and Portugal, dash cam use is completely banned.

I think in Germany dashcams are legal but registration plates and people's faces must be blurred/removed if the footage is put (publically) online.

Karoq

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: Was HR-V e:HEV. 7 Hondas owned in the past. Currently CR-V SR. 2022 E:HEV
« Reply #8 on: April 26, 2021, 02:13:49 PM »
New Octavia has a USB c socket in the rear view mirror.
Dip Mech Eng (automotive)

Westy36

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy: Extremely good !!
  • My Honda: 2013 Jazz 1.4 ES Silver
« Reply #9 on: April 26, 2021, 05:56:48 PM »
Brilliant idea. It makes you wonder why they haven't been fitting them for years to cars really. Allready got wiring in the area for the interior lights, so not much extra work required.

Expatman

• Approved Member
« Reply #10 on: April 26, 2021, 06:07:27 PM »
Brilliant idea. It makes you wonder why they haven't been fitting them for years to cars really. Allready got wiring in the area for the interior lights, so not much extra work required.
This is typical Skoda - quietly gives people what they want. Umbrellas in door pocket, ice scraper behind fuel filler door, ticket holder on windscreen pillar so parking tickets are easily displayed.

Westy36

• Approved Member
« Reply #11 on: April 26, 2021, 07:10:49 PM »
This is typical Skoda - quietly gives people what they want. Umbrellas in door pocket, ice scraper behind fuel filler door, ticket holder on windscreen pillar so parking tickets are easily displayed.
I've had 4 Skodas. I do miss the ticket holder, such a handy feature.

Jocko

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
« Reply #12 on: April 26, 2021, 07:49:09 PM »
« Last Edit: May 17, 2021, 05:02:27 PM by Jocko »

Westy36

• Approved Member
« Reply #13 on: April 26, 2021, 08:06:07 PM »
Good spot Jocko. I didn't know there was an aftermarket version of the device.

Just purchased a pair on ebay for £2.10 - eBay item number:193118872657  :D

If they are any good, I'll post a photo of them once fitted.

Jocko

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
« Reply #14 on: April 26, 2021, 08:10:55 PM »
I just ordered the eBay ones too.

Tags:

anything