Author Topic: Hit by Minicab!  (Read 4500 times)

UKjim

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2019 Jazz Sport - Brilliant Sporty Blue
Hit by Minicab!
« on: April 16, 2021, 04:41:02 PM »
Minding my own business waiting to go straight on at roundabout and taken out by Minicab trying to squeeze me from the left. He was going straight on in the inside turn left only lane and tried to get the jump on me. About £400 worth of damage.

« Last Edit: April 16, 2021, 06:09:58 PM by UKjim »

billyausten

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: GE3 Jazz Sport
Re: Hit by Minicab!
« Reply #1 on: April 18, 2021, 09:15:52 AM »
How annoying! I don't think that would take much work for a body shop to get looking like new again. Irritating none the less.
Current: '08 GE3 Sport, '97 CE1 Aerodeck 2.2iES
Previous Hondas: CA5 CC1 EE8 EE9 CC9 CH1 ED7 ZE1 CN1 CE1. - Non Honda: E-RNN14 GTiR E-BNR32 GTR

Westy36

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy: Extremely good !!
  • My Honda: 2013 Jazz 1.4 ES Silver
« Reply #2 on: April 18, 2021, 09:29:46 AM »
That is not a nice thing to have happen. Hopefully the other Taxi insurers will get that sorted asap for you.

bus_ter

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2006 Jazz SE
« Reply #3 on: April 18, 2021, 12:48:55 PM »
Thankful for the dashcam. I've noticed a common trend in recent years for drivers to lie about the cause of accidents to their insurers (even when admitting they were at fault on the scene, and then changing their mind..). Hopefully it all goes smoothly.

UKjim

• Topic Starter
  • Approved Member
« Reply #4 on: April 18, 2021, 01:42:00 PM »
The other driver blamed me for turning into him and then went a bit quiet when I pointed to the dashcam in the front window.

It's likely the insurance companies will agree a knock for knock as they don't really care who is at fault. I have obviously reported the accident to our insurer as I am obliged to do, it seems the taxi driver hasn't reported it and he hasn't provided me with any details other than his mobile number.

I am not making a claim on our policy, I have sorted a cash repair out with a local bodyshop at about the same cost as our excess. It will be repaired week after next.

My attitude is, it was an accident, these things happen, get it repaired and move on.

bus_ter

• Approved Member
« Reply #5 on: April 18, 2021, 02:59:53 PM »
Did you provide the other parties number plate to your insurer?

Now that you've declared the accident to your insurer it's going to appear on your renewal history as an at fault accident against you, unless the other person admits some responsibility. Even if you don't claim on your insurance it will still be on your record as you have reported it. Unfortunately it doesn't matter if you decide not to claim. It's in your best interest to get the other party involved, even for a 50:50 claim.

This is how I believe it works. But if someone knows better I would be interested to know how it works out when the other party denies it.

Derkie54

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2021 1.5i-MMD Jazz SR (Shining Grey)
« Reply #6 on: April 18, 2021, 03:01:04 PM »
The other driver blamed me for turning into him and then went a bit quiet when I pointed to the dashcam in the front window.

It's likely the insurance companies will agree a knock for knock as they don't really care who is at fault. I have obviously reported the accident to our insurer as I am obliged to do, it seems the taxi driver hasn't reported it and he hasn't provided me with any details other than his mobile number.

I am not making a claim on our policy, I have sorted a cash repair out with a local bodyshop at about the same cost as our excess. It will be repaired week after next.

My attitude is, it was an accident, these things happen, get it repaired and move on.

It's a pity more people are not fair minded like you and a pity the other driver didn't at least offer you something towards your repairs.
It will be alright in the end, if it's not alright then it's not the end !

UKjim

• Topic Starter
  • Approved Member
Hit by Minicab!
« Reply #7 on: April 18, 2021, 03:13:59 PM »
Did you provide the other parties number plate to your insurer?

Now that you've declared the accident to your insurer it's going to appear on your renewal history as an at fault accident against you, unless the other person admits some responsibility. Even if you don't claim on your insurance it will still be on your record as you have reported it. Unfortunately it doesn't matter if you decide not to claim. It's in your best interest to get the other party involved, even for a 50:50 claim.

This is how I believe it works. But if someone knows better I would be interested to know how it works out when the other party denies it.
Yes I did provide the registration number and mobile number to my insurer and they are reviewing my dashcam footage. I had a legal obligation to report the accident as does the other party, his choice if he doesn’t.

The other driver will definitely deny liability even though I know he caused it, whether that will make any difference I have no idea.

I have no control over the way the insurance view the accident or how the other driver reacts, I have carried out my legal obligations and told the truth, I can do no more.

PS. My only other accident was in 1965!
« Last Edit: April 18, 2021, 03:26:16 PM by UKjim »

Kremmen

• Approved Member
  • Civinfo interloper
  • Fuel economy:
  • My Honda: MY22 Jazz EX
« Reply #8 on: April 18, 2021, 04:31:41 PM »
If he was in a lane designated for turning left only but he went straight on then surely he is in the wrong.
Let's be careful out there !

UKjim

• Topic Starter
  • Approved Member
« Reply #9 on: April 18, 2021, 04:37:03 PM »
If he was in a lane designated for turning left only but he went straight on then surely he is in the wrong.

Agreed and that's what I have told the insurance company. He claims he was turning left but if that's the case why did he hit me in my lane? Interestingly enough when he drove off afterwards he didn't turn left!

Jocko

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
  • My Honda: Died from rust.
« Reply #10 on: April 18, 2021, 04:43:23 PM »
Interestingly enough when he drove off afterwards he didn't turn left!
Do you happen to have that captured on video?

UKjim

• Topic Starter
  • Approved Member
« Reply #11 on: April 18, 2021, 04:44:24 PM »
Interestingly enough when he drove off afterwards he didn't turn left!
Do you happen to have that captured on video?
Yes Jocko I have

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

bus_ter

• Approved Member
« Reply #12 on: April 18, 2021, 07:41:59 PM »
That might well help your case.

It clearly wasn't your fault, and I would be pushing for a Non-Fault to be recorded on your insurance. It will save your future premiums for the next 5(?) years from shooting upwards.

Westy36

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy: Extremely good !!
  • My Honda: 2013 Jazz 1.4 ES Silver
« Reply #13 on: April 19, 2021, 11:38:12 AM »
You could screen shot google street view to prove the road markings.

He was definitely in the wrong. If he was in a left turn lane, his car must have been out of lane at the time.

It is worth noting that both cars were moving at the point of collision. In my opinion this will increase the likelihood of a knock for knock settlement.

As you say, just get it sorted and move on. Fortunately it was walking pace and no injuries occured. It's only tin and rubber at the end of the day. Yes, it will have an impact on premiums for the next 2 or 3 years, but on the grand scheme.

I had a deer total my Peugeot 308 on New Years day 2020. Still affects the premiums on both cars, but what's to be done. Mrs W and me were not harmed and that is all that matters.

UKjim

• Topic Starter
  • Approved Member
« Reply #14 on: April 19, 2021, 11:43:49 AM »
You could screen shot google street view to prove the road markings.

He was definitely in the wrong. If he was in a left turn lane, his car must have been out of lane at the time.

It is worth noting that both cars were moving at the point of collision. In my opinion this will increase the likelihood of a knock for knock settlement.

As you say, just get it sorted and move on. Fortunately it was walking pace and no injuries occured. It's only tin and rubber at the end of the day. Yes, it will have an impact on premiums for the next 2 or 3 years, but on the grand scheme.

I had a deer total my Peugeot 308 on New Years day 2020. Still affects the premiums on both cars, but what's to be done. Mrs W and me were not harmed and that is all that matters.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Tags: