Author Topic: Rear washer fluid not working  (Read 7804 times)

guest8422

Rear washer fluid not working
« on: February 16, 2021, 02:42:58 PM »
I was wondering if anybody has any ideas. My rear washer fluid isn't working. It stopped a while back. I managed to get it going by pusing a needle into the little whole but now it's stopped again. I can hear the pump going, so I suspct it's just blcoked, but I'm at a loss as to how I would get at it.

trebor1652

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy: 64.7 mpg
  • My Honda: Crosstar Crystal Red Two Tone
Re: Rear washer fluid not working
« Reply #1 on: February 16, 2021, 03:25:24 PM »
How cold is it where you are?
It could just be frozen up and just needs time to thaw.

Sent from my moto g(6) using Tapatalk

embee

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2018 Jazz SE CVT
« Reply #2 on: February 16, 2021, 03:39:55 PM »
..It could just be frozen up and just needs time to thaw...
Especially if the washer fluid isn't mixed at high strength ......

It's fairly common on certain other marques for the washers to get blocked if different washer fluids are mixed and disagree with each other, you can get jelly like stuff forming. A friend had to have his Merc washers freed off for this.

guest8422

• Topic Starter
« Reply #3 on: February 16, 2021, 03:44:21 PM »
about 10 degress atm

guest8422

• Topic Starter
« Reply #4 on: February 16, 2021, 04:05:17 PM »
Hhm I just tried and it's working now maybe it was just the cold, I've thrown some higher grade screenwash in. Thanks everyone!

BadgerMk3

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: Jazz Mk3
« Reply #5 on: February 16, 2021, 09:45:27 PM »
I've had this recently on the Jazz and the other half's Audi.

In my case it was caused by mixing two different types of screenwash in a bulk 5L container, which caused it to coagulate.

I didn't realise it had 'gone off' until one of the front 'fan' type washer jets blocked on the Audi, swiftly followed by the rear jet on the Jazz. Both washbottle systems on both cars had to be flushed through.

On the Jazz I also had to remove and clean the one way valve in the rear pipe, then clear the nozzle by attaching a bicycle stirrup pump and blowing it through.

orcadian

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2015 Jazz SE
« Reply #6 on: February 18, 2021, 05:21:08 PM »
Hi Badger,
Where is the oneway valve located?  Ours has never blocked but the rear takes ages to spray fluid - meanwhile the wiper is rubbing on a dry screen so I suspect the one way valve is not seating.

Ian

BadgerMk3

• Approved Member
« Reply #7 on: February 18, 2021, 06:53:44 PM »
Hi Badger,
Where is the oneway valve located?  Ours has never blocked but the rear takes ages to spray fluid - meanwhile the wiper is rubbing on a dry screen so I suspect the one way valve is not seating.

Ian

Hi Ian.

The one way valve is part of the pipework you can see when you lift the tailgate.
It is the small straight length of pipe that the tubing pushes onto. It should be identifiable as it has an arrow on it to show the direction of flow.

If the link works, it is item 6 in this diagram:
https://www.parts-honda.uk/honda-cars/JAZZ/2016/13-ELEGANCE/ELECTRICAL-EQUIPMENTS-EXHAUST-HEATER/FRONT-WINDSHIELD-WASHER-LH--2-/30745/B152/3/30745

On removal I confirmed mine was blocked. I did the usual flushing to no avail, but a soaking in Milton sterilising fluid dissolved the 'gunge' and it worked fine after that - confirmed with the usual mouth blow but better with a bicycle pump.

Whilst that valve was off, I flushed the pipework through by attaching a length of garden hose to drain to ground, then operated the pump to drain and flush the system. The pump was only operated intermittently though with decent intervals between, to not stress the pump or electrics too much.

When refitting the one way valve, I again attached a bicycle pump to the upstream side of the valve and this cleared the 'gunge' in the jet.

One of my symptoms was the same as yours - it took ages for the rear jet to prime. Not good when the MOT is looming. Doing what I've written solved the issue for me.

Hope this makes some sense and also helps.
« Last Edit: February 18, 2021, 06:55:31 PM by BadgerMk3 »

Jocko

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
  • My Honda: Died from rust.
« Reply #8 on: February 18, 2021, 07:12:46 PM »
My rear jet works fine, but even still, I always spray water down the screen before operating the wiper.

guest4871

• Topic Starter
« Reply #9 on: February 18, 2021, 07:36:30 PM »
I've had this recently on the Jazz and the other half's Audi.

In my case it was caused by mixing two different types of screenwash in a bulk 5L container, which caused it to coagulate.

I didn't realise it had 'gone off' until one of the front 'fan' type washer jets blocked on the Audi, swiftly followed by the rear jet on the Jazz. Both washbottle systems on both cars had to be flushed through.

On the Jazz I also had to remove and clean the one way valve in the rear pipe, then clear the nozzle by attaching a bicycle stirrup pump and blowing it through.

Is there any way to tell apart the two different types of screen wash that should not be mixed together to stop them coagulating?

orcadian

• Approved Member
« Reply #10 on: February 18, 2021, 07:48:25 PM »
Thanks for that Badger, I'll have a look in the daylight tomorrow - as I say, mine is not blocked but more likely something stopping the NRV from seating, allowing the fluid to drain back. 
Jocko, unfortunately the wazzock who designed the architecture on the MK3 didn't give the option of flooding the glass with fluid before the wiper starts - both motors start together. Grrrrr!

Ian

Jocko

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
  • My Honda: Died from rust.
« Reply #11 on: February 18, 2021, 08:11:48 PM »
So I see. On the Mk1, you turn down to activate washer or up for wipe and further up for wash wipe.

BadgerMk3

• Approved Member
« Reply #12 on: February 18, 2021, 09:27:08 PM »
If the NRV is not working correctly, the fluid to the rear screen will drain back emptying the pipework. That's why the rear screenwash still worked but took a long time to prime.

Jocko - On the Mk3, the wiper and wash function is effectively combined - you activate the wash then the wipe operates momentarily after.

Re the screenwash types...
I can't really give a definitive answer to that one. In my case they were both 'orange' but were a mixture of Saab and Wurth fluids. Both quality fluids in their own right and ones I haven't had any issues with when used separately, but they didn't live together nicely. You live and learn...

For info and because of the different types of jets used - 'fan' (Audi) and ' traditional hole'(Jazz) jets - I've replaced the troublesome fluid with some that is suitable for both systems. It's the 'Quantum' premium screenwash and is a VW group product that is a lot cheaper to buy than getting from a VW group dealer.

BadgerMk3

• Approved Member
« Reply #13 on: March 16, 2021, 09:17:49 PM »
@orcadian

How did you get on with the NRV?

orcadian

• Approved Member
« Reply #14 on: March 31, 2021, 04:35:05 PM »
Sorry for the late reply Badger,
Removed the NRV, was gunged up so cleared it through with a water jet then with an airline at low pressure - all working fine now and with a quick twist of the control can get water on the screen before holding on for tad longer for the wiper to work.  Just as it should be.
Thanks again,
Ian

Tags:

anything