Author Topic: Different stereo aerial connectors?  (Read 2020 times)

Si Crewe

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2002 Jazz S
Different stereo aerial connectors?
« on: November 23, 2020, 12:47:50 PM »
My jazz had a CD player like this in it.

It died and I replaced it with one like this.

The replacement fitted perefectly, with one small(ish) problem...

My original stereo had a "normal" car antenna jack-plug - a coaxial connector that looks a bit like a phono plug.
The replacement has a small, rectangular connector that comprises a tiny coaxial connector and then there's an empty space in the connector for, presumably, another connector (DAB?) as well.

Fortunately, the replacement stereo was sold with a bunch of chopped wires, including the aerial connector, and I was able to dismantle the connector, remove the chopped wire and then remove the "normal" connector from the aerial wire in my car and solder the new connector onto it.

Honestly, it was quite a fiddly job 'cos the aerial cable is only just long enough to allow me to solder it and the miniature coaxial connector is really, really, small (about 3mm square and 10mm long) so soldering it was, erm, challenging.

It all worked out in the end but I'd warn anybody considering replacing the stereo in their Jazz (especially an early Mk1) to be aware that they might have to modify the aerial connector (or confirm the aerial connectors are compatible before buying).

+EDIT+

Just for added information...
My Jazz is a 2002 and it had a normal aerial connector.
The stereo was, allegedly, out of a 2005 Jazz.
Presumably this mean that sometime between 2002 and 2005 Honda switched to the rectangular aerial connectors.
« Last Edit: November 23, 2020, 12:50:37 PM by Si Crewe »

UKjim

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2019 Jazz Sport - Brilliant Sporty Blue
« Reply #1 on: November 23, 2020, 07:01:44 PM »
I believe Honda switched to the later style aerial connector from the facelift model year (2005) coinciding with the change in stereo model, I believe an adapter is available.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
« Last Edit: November 23, 2020, 07:04:57 PM by UKjim »

dnloreto

• Approved Member
  • A jazz and a Honda cbr990RR kitcar
  • My Honda: Mk1 GD5 (1.2 Cool)
Re: Different stereo aerial connectors?
« Reply #2 on: November 24, 2020, 03:25:03 PM »
Odd, I have a 2007 Jazz and my stereo is just exactly as the 1st picture, that is, your old one!

I actually sometimes think about replacing it because the CD has jammed/died and I would actually prefer to hear spotify. In the end I just use a bluetooth speaker and the phone and listen from there.

Jocko

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
  • My Honda: Died from rust.
« Reply #3 on: November 24, 2020, 04:04:51 PM »
Odd, I have a 2007 Jazz and my stereo is just exactly as the 1st picture, that is, your old one!

I actually sometimes think about replacing it because the CD has jammed/died and I would actually prefer to hear spotify. In the end I just use a bluetooth speaker and the phone and listen from there.
My 2006 too. The 2005 I was interested in uses the second one. Connect your phone to the Aux socket and play your phone through the car radio system. That's what I do.

UKjim

• Approved Member
« Reply #4 on: November 24, 2020, 04:24:04 PM »
it looks like the updated radio may have only been fitted to the SE's from 2005.

I have connected one of the these to the aux socket on the rear of the radio and play music from my phone via Bluetooth.

« Last Edit: November 24, 2020, 04:35:44 PM by UKjim »

Si Crewe

• Topic Starter
  • Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2002 Jazz S
« Reply #5 on: November 26, 2020, 02:28:07 PM »
it looks like the updated radio may have only been fitted to the SE's from 2005.

I have connected one of the these to the aux socket on the rear of the radio and play music from my phone via Bluetooth.

Got a link to where I can buy one of those?

Never mind.
Searching eBay for "Honda Jazz bluetooth" yields nothing.
Searching for "car bluetooth" reveals them, all titled as "Acura bluetooth connector".  ::)

"Phase 2" is to connect my phone to the stereo and all I can find on eBay are Aux to 3.5mm leads which sell for around £30... which seems rather a lot for such a simple lead.

Incidentally, while I'm at it...

On the new stereo, is the volume control and the 5 buttons surrounding it supposed to be illuminated?

The LCD display is illuminated permanently and all the other controls ARE illuminated when the lights are on but the volume knob and the buttons around it are unlit, which is a bit odd.

I haven't permanently reassembled the centre console yet because I want to fit an Aux input and a remote central-locking kit (to solve the issue with unreliable door locks) so I'll have a look at the stereo at the same time if there's supposed to be LEDs to illuminate those controls.
« Last Edit: November 26, 2020, 03:04:35 PM by Si Crewe »

UKjim

• Approved Member
« Reply #6 on: November 26, 2020, 03:54:25 PM »
Yes the Accura is the correct one as per the picture, AliExpress was my source.

The volume control and surrounding buttons are illuminated by 4 small LED bulbs mounted on the back of the Fascia PCB, you have to remove the complete assembly and then remove the radio itself from the fascia to get at them, they are removable. The bulbs are the same type that are used in the heated window and AC switches.
« Last Edit: November 26, 2020, 04:01:48 PM by UKjim »

dnloreto

• Approved Member
  • A jazz and a Honda cbr990RR kitcar
  • My Honda: Mk1 GD5 (1.2 Cool)
« Reply #7 on: November 27, 2020, 02:37:26 PM »

My 2006 too. The 2005 I was interested in uses the second one. Connect your phone to the Aux socket and play your phone through the car radio system. That's what I do.

Well reminded! Long ago I used that as a solution. Then it stopped working and I thought something broke. Since then I swapped phones and today I tried again and it worked! Which reminded me the cheap phone was more grief than the savings was worth it.
Thank you! Now I'll have to take the cardboards of the rear doors to see if the wiring is there to put more speakers... New project underway!  ;D

Tags: