Author Topic: Simplifying my glove-box (getting rid of redundant CD multichanger)?  (Read 1772 times)

Si Crewe

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2002 Jazz S
The original owner of my Jazz must have really, really liked CDs.

It seems they specificed the car with a CD head-unit AND a CD multichanger inside the glove-box.
The head-unit is now silent (the Voltage regulator issue, presumably) and, more importantly, the CD multichanger is actually LESS useful than having extra storage space in the glove-box would be.

For anybody who doesn't know, the CD multichanger takes up the entire bottom half of the glove-box and leaves only a small cubby-hole at the top, which won't even fit the owner's manual, and a tiny compartment at one side that's just about big enough for a bunch of keys.

My questions are:-
1) Is the regular glove-box significantly bigger?
2) what's involved in removing the glove-box?

The interior of the glove-box appears to be a separate molding, fixed behind the dashboard facia, somehow.

My plan is to get rid of the Multichanger, repair the head-unit and then buy an AUX cable so I can plug my phone into the stereo.
Apparently, the AUX cable uses the same (blue) connector on the Head Unit that the Multichanger uses so I can't use both and the Multichanger will only be taking up space.

Also, FWIW, if anybody does have a yearning for a factory CD multichanger, I'd be happy to swap the glove-box interior, Multichanger and any associated cabling for a regular glovebox.

UKjim

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2019 Jazz Sport - Brilliant Sporty Blue
Simplifying my glove-box (getting rid of redundant CD multichanger)?
« Reply #1 on: October 29, 2020, 09:44:40 PM »
If you require an original Honda factory fit aux cable and 3.5m socket, I have one I recently purchased but change of plan means it is up for sale. The aux socket fits the blank next to the cig lighter.
These are hard to find.

A1i.cu

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: Jazz 2006 1.4 sport
Re: Simplifying my glove-box (getting rid of redundant CD multichanger)?
« Reply #2 on: October 31, 2020, 10:50:12 AM »
Also, FWIW, if anybody does have a yearning for a factory CD multichanger, I'd be happy to swap the glove-box interior, Multichanger and any associated cabling for a regular glovebox.

I’ll swap with you! My other half has gone from a car with multiple CDs to this one, and is missing the options it gave her. What do we need to swap (ie head unit too??)

sparky Paul

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2015 GG6 Jazz EX 1.4 I-VTEC / 2008 GE3 Jazz SE 1.4 i-DSI
« Reply #3 on: October 31, 2020, 12:13:20 PM »
The standard glovebox just pulls out, there are spring claw type clips around the edge to secure it, 3 along the top and 3 along the bottom. It's removable so that you can access the pollen filter behind it.

http://www.hondafitjazz.com/manual/A00/HTML/00/SAA2E00J26220230101KDAT10.HTML

...there's a clicky near the bottom which shows a diagram

I would have thought that the cd changer glove box would be secured in the same way? You should be able to obtain a standard replacement from a scrapper. If the wiring isn't easy to remove, you could probably leave it all in situ.

...or swap with A1i.cu  :) Head units might be the same, worth checking first.

« Last Edit: October 31, 2020, 12:18:41 PM by sparky Paul »

Westy36

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy: Extremely good !!
  • My Honda: 2013 Jazz 1.4 ES Silver
« Reply #4 on: October 31, 2020, 06:54:17 PM »
You may as well have a look at the condition of your cabin filter whilst your there!

Si Crewe

• Topic Starter
  • Approved Member
« Reply #5 on: November 04, 2020, 01:19:38 AM »

I’ll swap with you! My other half has gone from a car with multiple CDs to this one, and is missing the options it gave her. What do we need to swap (ie head unit too??)

Sorry I didn't reply sooner.
Been doing shift work so it's just been work/eat/sleep for the last few days.

AFAIK, all Jazz head-units come with an Aux-In facility which can control the multichanger.

I'll yank the glovebox out this weekend, take some pictures and make some notes about where the multichanger gets it's 12v feed from (assuming it's NOT powered directly from the stereo) and then you can decide if you want to give it a whirl.

The glovebox and the multichanger are both in spotless condition.

A1i.cu

• Approved Member
« Reply #6 on: November 15, 2020, 03:37:47 AM »
Any luck taking it out? My Jazz is in the garage, so can’t get photos for you re my glove box. I believe it’s in good nick too

Si Crewe

• Topic Starter
  • Approved Member
« Reply #7 on: November 15, 2020, 05:16:26 PM »
Any luck taking it out? My Jazz is in the garage, so can’t get photos for you re my glove box. I believe it’s in good nick too

Perfect timing!

Taking the CD player out was easy.
Taking pictures with my phone and then transferring them to my PC was hard.  :-[

First thing is, it's only a SINGLE CD player, (Honda 411CY) not a multichanger.
That strikes me as a bit strange cos, as I said, it also has a CD stereo.

Now I'm a little bit worried that it might've originally had a cassette-player in it, with the CD player in the glovebox, and then somebody's swapped the cassette-player for a stereo with a CD player... which might suggest that there's something wrong with the CD-player.

If you're okay with it only being a single CD player, I've got a replacement stereo on the way so I'll plug the CD player into that when it arrives and check that it's working properly.

As I said, it looks mint, and it seems to play CDs perfectly.
I just have no way of checking if it produces any sound 'cos my stereo's borked.

Fitting it should be fairly straightforward.
There's a couple of galvanised steel brackets that bolt to the dashboard supports, the CD player bolts to them, there's a single cable which attaches to the stereo and then you clip the "glovebox" back in over it.

« Last Edit: November 15, 2020, 05:19:25 PM by Si Crewe »

A1i.cu

• Approved Member
« Reply #8 on: November 15, 2020, 07:20:55 PM »
Ah. If it was a multi hanger, She would be chopping at the bit...unfortunately as it’s only a single unit, I’m afraid she doesn’t want it....some people are so fussy :D

But thanks anyway.

Si Crewe

• Topic Starter
  • Approved Member
« Reply #9 on: November 15, 2020, 07:41:45 PM »
Ah. If it was a multi hanger, She would be chopping at the bit...unfortunately as it’s only a single unit, I’m afraid she doesn’t want it....some people are so fussy :D

But thanks anyway.

No worries.

Honestly, I thought it was a multi-changer.
It's even described as one in several of the places I looked for info' about it.
It was only when I tried to figure out how to feed more than one CD into it that I started to have my doubts.  :-[

Once I check it's working I'll bung it on eBay.

I just want a glove box that I can actually bung the owner's manual inside!

Si Crewe

• Topic Starter
  • Approved Member
« Reply #10 on: November 15, 2020, 07:43:31 PM »
You may as well have a look at the condition of your cabin filter whilst your there!

I took the opportunity to check this.

Slid the little plastic tray out and found... an empty space and a handful of dead flies.

sparky Paul

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2015 GG6 Jazz EX 1.4 I-VTEC / 2008 GE3 Jazz SE 1.4 i-DSI
« Reply #11 on: November 15, 2020, 09:14:25 PM »
Once I check it's working I'll bung it on eBay.

Got to be useful for somebody with only a cassette player in the dash.

A1i.cu

• Approved Member
« Reply #12 on: November 15, 2020, 09:19:34 PM »
Slid the little plastic tray out and found... an empty space and a handful of dead flies.

:o :o[/url]][url=http://:o] :o[/url]

Tags: