Author Topic: Place for cheap rear caliper?  (Read 3156 times)

bus_ter

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2006 Jazz SE
Place for cheap rear caliper?
« on: June 09, 2020, 07:21:41 PM »
I changed my rear brakes today.

When winding pack the rear right caliper I found it very stiff and difficult to wind back. The piston seal also didn't look quite right. After a quick test drive I could see the rear right was not 'scrubbing' the disc as much as the rear left.

Seems the caliper is somewhat seized and needs replaced. I remember somone saying they could be found quite cheaply? I can't find anything cheaper than £60. Does anyone know somewhere cheap to get a new or reconditioned caliper?

I also want to change one of the caliper pin seals (the ones that stretch in and out) as it's a little damaged. Anyone know where I can get one of these? (I assume they don't come with a new caliper?)

culzean

• Approved Member
Re: Place for cheap rear caliper?
« Reply #1 on: June 09, 2020, 07:45:06 PM »
The calipers are never easy to wind back, could be corrosion in piston ( leaving brake fluid in too long can cause it due to getting water in fluid ) or  could just be seized slide pin stopping caliper equalizing about the disc ( rear brakes get a lot more water and dirt than fronts ) you can get new pins and seals from brakeparts UK. And caliper refurb kits

https://brakeparts.co.uk/shop/Honda/Jazz/02-08/Jazz%201.4%20I-dsi%20Models/Rear%20-%20Brake%20Calipers%20and%20Wheel%20Cylinders

https://brakeparts.co.uk/shop/Honda/Jazz/02-08/Jazz%201.4%20I-dsi%20Models/Rear%20-%20Brake%20Calipers%20and%20Wheel%20Cylinders/BCF1319
« Last Edit: June 09, 2020, 07:54:03 PM by culzean »
Some people will only consider you an expert if they agree with your point of view or advice,  when you give them advice they don't like they consider you an idiot

bus_ter

• Topic Starter
  • Approved Member
« Reply #2 on: June 09, 2020, 07:58:13 PM »
Thanks Culzean!

Do you know if the piston seal can be changed in situ?
Does the caliper need to come off the car?

sparky Paul

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2015 GG6 Jazz EX 1.4 I-VTEC / 2008 GE3 Jazz SE 1.4 i-DSI
« Reply #3 on: June 09, 2020, 08:28:58 PM »
Try here

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/REAR-RIGHT-BRAKE-CALIPER-FOR-HONDA-JAZZ-II-GD-GE3-GE2-1-2-i-DSI-GD5-GE2/283900596358

It is possible to change the seals in situ, but it's far easier on a bench with a vice where it is easier to inspect and clean the internal bore. Bear in mind that the caliper will be flopping about on the hose and handbrake cable, while you are trying to work on it.

Any sort of seizing usually means corrosion, so I would recommend a repair kit that includes a new piston. No matter how well you clean it up, once the chrome comes off the old piston, you know it's going to cause more trouble in the future.

To be honest, with the pattern caliper above costing less than 40 quid, it's not worth the effort.
« Last Edit: June 09, 2020, 08:33:54 PM by sparky Paul »

bus_ter

• Topic Starter
  • Approved Member
« Reply #4 on: June 09, 2020, 08:41:56 PM »
Thanks!

Quick follow on question: Should I change the brake flexy hose at the same time?

sparky Paul

• Approved Member
« Reply #5 on: June 09, 2020, 08:58:57 PM »
Quick follow on question: Should I change the brake flexy hose at the same time?

I depends on the condition of the one on the car, and your aversion to risk  ;)

Personally, I like to have one to hand in case of emergency, but the Jazz front and rear caliper hoses are not cheap, even pattern ones. You can have fun parting the hose from the caliper if the solid pipe is crusty. Sometimes a little heat is required, but be careful not to boil the fluid and pop the flexi.

bus_ter

• Topic Starter
  • Approved Member
« Reply #6 on: June 10, 2020, 04:26:51 PM »

I depends on the condition of the one on the car, and your aversion to risk  ;)

Personally, I like to have one to hand in case of emergency, but the Jazz front and rear caliper hoses are not cheap, even pattern ones. You can have fun parting the hose from the caliper if the solid pipe is crusty. Sometimes a little heat is required, but be careful not to boil the fluid and pop the flexi.

I went to order one and realized there were different options. Do I want an inner or outer or lower?

I'm guessing outer ??

Is this the correct item?
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Fits-Honda-Jazz-MK2-1-4iDSI-Genuine-Delphi-Rear-Right-Outer-Brake-Hose/293107847934?fits=Car+Make%3AHonda%7CModel%3AJazz%7CPlat_Gen%3AMK+II%7CCars+Year%3A2006%7CBodyStyle%3AHatchback%7CVariant%3AMK+II+%5B2002-2008%5D+Hatchback%7CCars+Type%3A1.4iDSi%7CEngine%3A1339ccm+83HP+61KW+%28Petrol%29&hash=item443e96d2fe:g:8eMAAOSwFodc8R1q

sparky Paul

• Approved Member

bus_ter

• Topic Starter
  • Approved Member
« Reply #8 on: June 10, 2020, 06:13:33 PM »
OK I've ordered the one I linked above which is described as rear/right/outer.
£17 doesn't seem to bad.

sparky Paul

• Approved Member
« Reply #9 on: June 10, 2020, 07:08:29 PM »
I'll get my tin hat on if it's the wrong one  ;)

The pattern calipers are fine, I put two on the front and they have been perfect.

bus_ter

• Topic Starter
  • Approved Member
« Reply #10 on: June 17, 2020, 12:50:53 PM »
This is what arrived.
I think I've bought the wrong one?
It has a female connection on both sides which is not what I was expecting.

Can anyone confirm?

https://pasteboard.co/JduZcUv.jpg

« Last Edit: June 17, 2020, 12:54:14 PM by bus_ter »

sparky Paul

• Approved Member
« Reply #11 on: June 17, 2020, 01:33:42 PM »
Boo! That looks like the inner hose to me. I had a quick look at the febi/blueprint catalogue and the correct one should have a banjo fitting on the caliper end.

Yours is actually the same as the picture in the listing, but I usually ignore these as many sellers use a generic picture. I would return it, tell the seller that they have sent the wrong one, or their listing is wrong. Even if you needed one, I think you can buy the inner one for about £7-£8.

They shouldn't be able to go far wrong, there's only 4 hoses on the back - two inner axle hoses, and two outer caliper hoses.

I think the pic attached is the one you are looking for. To be honest, as it's a nice banjo fitting and not the usual male nipple, you shouldn't have any problem removing the hose from the caliper at all. If the existing hose is in good shape, just get a couple of new 10mm copper washers, or anneal the old ones.
« Last Edit: June 17, 2020, 03:42:33 PM by sparky Paul »

bus_ter

• Topic Starter
  • Approved Member
« Reply #12 on: June 17, 2020, 06:13:15 PM »
I've contacted the seller saying they have sent me a rear inner hose and not a rear outer hose as the listing described. We'll see what they say.

I don't understand how this 'banjo' connector works? It's also not what I was expecting. The caliper I have here uses a female screw socket much like the ends of the hose I ordered above.

Is there another additional adapter that connects the 'loop' on the hose to a male piece that screws in?

sparky Paul

• Approved Member
« Reply #13 on: June 17, 2020, 06:53:04 PM »
You could just return it for free it the seller turns funny, just put it down as 'not as described' through ebay returns.

With the banjo, there's a bolt (banjo bolt) goes through the hole in the banjo and into the caliper, with a copper washer either side of the banjo to seal it. The bolt has a hole up the centre and hole/s on the side, to allow fluid through.

It's a much better setup than a male nipple, rarely seize as the thread is sealed in the hydraulic fluid.

Pic attached
« Last Edit: June 17, 2020, 06:55:30 PM by sparky Paul »

bus_ter

• Topic Starter
  • Approved Member
« Reply #14 on: June 17, 2020, 06:57:32 PM »
Presumably I need a new banjo screw and copper washer set. Are these a standard size for all brake calipers or do I need to find a particular size?

Tags: