Author Topic: Car Reviews  (Read 675 times)

John Ratsey

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2020 Jazz Crosstar
Re: Car Reviews
« Reply #15 on: May 13, 2021, 06:01:10 PM »
SUVs exist for the benefit of car makers profits.
I recall that in USA the trend towards SUVs was effectively encouraged by the legislation which set targets for improvement in the fuel economy of vehicles so the manufacturers created a new category of vehicles not covered by the legislation. The SUVs as we know them compete with the enormous pickup trucks which seem to be the favourite among the US vehicle manufacturers.

richardfrost

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: Black 2005 1.4 SE
« Reply #16 on: May 13, 2021, 06:08:47 PM »
The SUVs as we know them compete with the enormous pickup trucks which seem to be the favourite among the US vehicle manufacturers.

Yes. But what we call an SUV here would be dwarfed by the typical American SUV. Last time I was there, in 2016, we hired a Dodge something or other. You basically fill out the forms and then wander around the car park until you see a car you like, get in, find the keys and paperwork and drive to the exit, where they book the car out to you. The smallest we could find was an 8 seater which swallowed us four adults and all our luggage and could have probably fitted an elephant in the front and one in the back too.

Jazzik

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: Not a Honda currently, previous car Jazz 1.4 Comfort Plus CVT 2013 in Urban Titanium
« Reply #17 on: May 13, 2021, 08:18:59 PM »

Yes. But what we call an SUV here would be dwarfed by the typical American SUV. Last time I was there, in 2016, we hired a Dodge something or other.
.../...
The smallest we could find was an 8 seater which swallowed us four adults and all our luggage and could have probably fitted an elephant in the front and one in the back too.

Strange. At which airport did you put your feet on the earth? Somewhere in the Midwest? The Wild West? Texas?

Last time, 2018, we landed in Salt Lake City and drove off in a Toyota Prius. Also in San Francisco (2016) a Prius.
Maybe try Hertz next time ...

richardfrost

• Approved Member
« Reply #18 on: May 14, 2021, 02:22:31 AM »
San Francisco for a two week road trip. The smallest SUV is what I was talking about as I was comparing SUV sizes. Nothing the size of a Defender, for example. Everything was bigger.

richardfrost

• Approved Member
« Reply #19 on: Today at 08:49:09 AM »
Very fair, informative and useful centre spread review of the Mk4 in this weekend's Yorkshire Post motoring section. A bit late to the party but worth a read if you are interested and able.

Tags:

anything