Author Topic: Aero flat wiper blades  (Read 8699 times)

RichardA

• Administrator
  • Approved Member
    • https://clubjazz.org
  • My Honda: 2007 1.4 i-DSi Sport manual
Aero flat wiper blades
« on: November 07, 2009, 03:25:00 PM »
I've replaced the split front wipers on my GD Jazz with these aero flat blades like found on the Civic and other cars. These are 'retrofit' universal blades so fit directly onto cars with the traditional style wiper blades (correct size for the Jazz: 20" for drivers', 15" for passenger).

You can buy them pretty much anywhere online, just make sure you get retrofit or ones clearly marked for use on cars without OEM flat blades, as I think the two are not interchangeable unless you replace the wiper arms.

http://www.wiperblades.co.uk/
« Last Edit: September 14, 2011, 09:44:53 AM by RichardA »

JazzyB

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2007 Jazz 1.4 Sport Manual (Japanese built)
Re: Aero flat wiper blades
« Reply #1 on: November 07, 2009, 03:40:28 PM »
But are they any better than the standard ones?

What about price difference?

culzean

• Approved Member
« Reply #2 on: November 16, 2009, 04:04:11 PM »
Was looking for wiper blades the other day and came across this site, they supply 'normal' (they call them classic) blades in silicon rubber at about £12.00+pp which are supposed to last about 5x longer than normal rubber, be quieter and have better cold and hot weather performance. They also have 'flat' retrofit blades in normal rubber and high performance silicon rubber (the flat silicon rubber blades are a bit pricey though).

Jazz GD blades are 20" driver and 15" passenger side.

http://www.xopc.co.uk/wiper_blades.htm
Some people will only consider you an expert if they agree with your point of view or advice,  when you give them advice they don't like they consider you an idiot

Pine

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: Honda IZY Lawnmower
« Reply #3 on: November 16, 2009, 07:43:08 PM »
I have been considering the aero blades from wiperblades.co.uk.  Seem to be a reasonable price and have been tested by Auto Express.

guest1079

« Reply #4 on: November 17, 2009, 02:03:29 PM »
I've just fitted the retrofit flat aero blades from wiperblades.co.uk and they are a great improvement on the ordinary ones

bill888

• Approved Member
« Reply #5 on: January 24, 2012, 12:49:26 PM »
Resurrecting this old thread.

What's the verdict on the own-brand flat wiper blades sold by wiperblades.co.uk two years later ?

I notice someone on eBay is offering flat wiper blades which look identical (same wiper arm fixing mechanism) as the ones sold by wiperblades.co.uk but at a fraction of the price.  £6.29 delivered.
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=150713242975

The disappointing £10 pair of Bosch Super Plus framed wipers I fitted less than two years ago have started to squeak/judder lately so I'm looking to replace them.  My annual mileage is very low.  (Yes, I have tried cleaning windscreen and blade rubbers)

« Last Edit: January 24, 2012, 12:52:26 PM by bill888 »
2007(57) Jazz 1.4SE CVT-7 (GE3 - made in China)

JazzyB

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2007 Jazz 1.4 Sport Manual (Japanese built)
« Reply #6 on: January 24, 2012, 02:56:59 PM »

The disappointing £10 pair of Bosch Super Plus framed wipers I fitted less than two years ago have started to squeak/judder lately so I'm looking to replace them.  My annual mileage is very low.  (Yes, I have tried cleaning windscreen and blade rubbers)

TWO YEARS!

They should be replaced annually. Personally I replace mine every 6 months with Bosch Super Plus.

Rubber ages regardless of use.

bill888

• Approved Member
« Reply #7 on: January 25, 2012, 11:39:48 AM »
For anyone who is interested, I ordered a pair from 'eurasia_seller' on eBay UK.  They arrived the next working day by 1st class post.  £6.29 delivered.

Supplied in plain white box with no fitting instructions.  Inside was the wiper blade contained in an opened ended folded cardboard tube/envelope.

wiperblades.co.uk website mentions 'WB5' in their fitting instructions.

As far as I can tell, these look similar if not identical to the ones sold by wiperblades.co.uk.

No problems fitting them.  But make sure the wiper blades are properly engaged in the wiper arm's C shaped hook.   The flip down cover shown in the pics is purely cosmetic.  It doesn't even touch the C hook when closed.

Update July 2012

I should emphasize I don't use my car much.  ie. I am a low mileage driver.  Anyway, 6 months on and the wiper blades still performing OK when it is raining.

Lately, I have though noticed with the longer 20" driver side wiper blade. The lower half of this blade appears to visibly judder as it moves across the windscreen.  When it is raining, it doesn't create any extra noise though and it continues to clear the windscreen perfectly well at normal wipe speeds (I've not tried the turbo wipe speed mode).  Only when the windscreen has dried up and I continue to keep the wiper blades on, then some noise starts to appear.

The upper half of the same blade, and the shorter passenger side wiper blades don't exhibit any visible juddering issues.

On a similar note, I had to replace the flat blades on a relative's VW and I noticed the OEM blades appear to be very 'stiff' in construction in an arched shape to try and maintain maximum contact pressure at the tips of the wiper blade.  I think they were 28" length.  (The factory fitted flat blades lasted as astonishing 8 years and 45k miles.  The wiper blades when parked are hidden below the bonnet which may be a reason for their long life perhaps)

(You need to be logged into the forum to view the 4 pics)

[attachment deleted by admin]
« Last Edit: December 02, 2012, 08:38:27 PM by bill888 »
2007(57) Jazz 1.4SE CVT-7 (GE3 - made in China)

DV

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy: [/URL]
  • My Honda: 2013 Honda Jazz EX CVT
« Reply #8 on: January 25, 2012, 05:50:50 PM »
Last time I`ve bought (23" and 16") Valeo retrofit wiper blades from Halfords. Last longer than the "wiperblades.co.uk" (5-6 months) ones.

RichardA

• Topic Starter
  • Administrator
  • Approved Member
« Reply #9 on: April 14, 2016, 08:27:48 PM »
I've just replaced the rear wiper blade I purchased from wiperblades.co.uk some 6.5 years after I purchased it and the front blades discussed above. The OEM rear wiper blade split after just over two years so that's good going.

The front blades have been mixed in terms of wear - the 2009 set lasted three years before going hard, but the second set only lasted a year. The current set came from wiperblades but are Lucas branded flat blades and are still in good nick (interestingly I was unable to purchase wiperblade's own flat blades at that time).

guest5589

« Reply #10 on: April 14, 2016, 08:56:50 PM »
I've just replaced the rear wiper blade I purchased from wiperblades.co.uk some 6.5 years after I purchased it and the front blades discussed above. The OEM rear wiper blade split after just over two years so that's good going.

The front blades have been mixed in terms of wear - the 2009 set lasted three years before going hard, but the second set only lasted a year. The current set came from wiperblades but are Lucas branded flat blades and are still in good nick (interestingly I was unable to purchase wiperblade's own flat blades at that time).

Interesting. My Bosch driver side blade Judders on its leading edge sometimes and leaves some streaks only after 6 months. Rear one is worse and doesn't clear anything unless it's properly wet. Thinking of giving these flat blades a try or you reckon OEM ones are sufficient?

RichardA

• Topic Starter
  • Administrator
  • Approved Member
« Reply #11 on: April 17, 2016, 07:57:13 PM »
All but the second set of flat blades outlasted the OEM wipers.

The rear blade is a copy of the OEM blade but much cheaper.

Tags:

anything