Recent Posts

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 10
Off Topic (Non-Honda) / Re: Covid 19 enquiry.
« Last post by madasafish on May 15, 2021, 07:40:47 PM »
I would be asking if the forewarning of imposition of quarantine for arrivals is prudent. How does the cost of quarantining people at tapayers' expense compare with the cost of handling the disruption caused by new sources of the virus entering the community? Did the government not learn from last year's experience? Better management of the threat from the Indian variant could have minimised the current headache.

I also wonder why the local hotspots aren't in tier 5 lockdown until everyone on every household is tested. The Chinese demonstrated last year that this process can work and there should now be sufficient testing resources here.
#

People who travel should pay their own quarantine costs. Period.

If they can't they should quarantine at Her Majesty's Pleasure..

Travelling to and from a place with an out of control plague is grossly irresponsible.
Off Topic (Non-Honda) / Re: Electric Central Heating.
« Last post by richardfrost on May 15, 2021, 07:07:41 PM »
Like electric cars, I donít thing the tech is ready yet. The advice to live through a Winter sounds great to me.
Honda Jazz Mk3 2015 - 2020 / Re: Intelligent Speed Limiter
« Last post by Victor Delta on May 15, 2021, 07:02:23 PM »
I think you have not pressed the res button.  If you have set it correctly, the letters MPH will appear to the right of the lollipop sign.  It should not allow you to creep above the limit using the accelerator.
ColinS - Thank you so much. You're absolutely right. I pressed the 'res' button and it all turned green and mph appeared on the right. Easy when you know how!  :)
Honda Jazz Mk2 2008-2015 / Re: Beware the age of your tyres
« Last post by richardfrost on May 15, 2021, 06:56:09 PM »
This story concurs nicely with my comments in another thread. When you buy a used car, you are buying four part worn tyres. You need to pay attention to them. Thanks for sharing.
Off Topic (Non-Honda) / Re: Covid 19 enquiry.
« Last post by John Ratsey on May 15, 2021, 06:47:18 PM »
I would be asking if the forewarning of imposition of quarantine for arrivals is prudent. How does the cost of quarantining people at tapayers' expense compare with the cost of handling the disruption caused by new sources of the virus entering the community? Did the government not learn from last year's experience? Better management of the threat from the Indian variant could have minimised the current headache.

I also wonder why the local hotspots aren't in tier 5 lockdown until everyone on every household is tested. The Chinese demonstrated last year that this process can work and there should now be sufficient testing resources here.
Honda Jazz Mk2 2008-2015 / Re: tailored rubber mats
« Last post by JamtartJazzman on May 15, 2021, 06:40:31 PM »
 :o 50 quid for two mats! Yikes!
« Last post by embee on May 15, 2021, 06:37:41 PM »
It might depend a bit on what your priorities are. Some factors to consider -

up front installation costs
fuel costs (including various tariffs, off peak etc)
maintenance costs
flexibility of control
"green"
reliability
future-proofing

Some excellent points made by John above. Insulate first (reduces amount of heat required), look at zoning (only heat the places which require it and when they require it), look at system efficiency (boiler and rad sizes etc). There are a lot of zone control possibilities now, each rad valve can be programmed for example.
Honda Jazz Mk2 2008-2015 / Re: tailored rubber mats
« Last post by IanG on May 15, 2021, 06:33:57 PM »
I purchased front and rear genuine Honda rubber mats from Cox Motor parts. Quality and fit is excellent and the lipped area will retain water, rather than wet the carpet, if you have wet/snowy shoes.
One thing to note is that Honda donít appear to be supplying an install guide for the mats, at least for the mk4.
The mk4 rear mats are supplied to fit both left and right hand drive variants but unsure if this also applies to mk3.
The driver and front passenger lower seat belt anchor housing moulding is different on each side, the driverís protruding more than the passenger. A tabbed part of the right rear rubber mat has to be cut away with a knife on right hand drive cars and I assume the left rear mat on left hand drive cars.
Cox emailed me the Honda install guide, which explains the procedure.
Honda Jazz Mk1 2002-2008 / Re: Loud engine noise - sudden
« Last post by UKjim on May 15, 2021, 06:23:11 PM »
Is there no end to this? I feel sorry for you, I think it's the number one reason 2002-08 cars are being written off. I hope you are back on the road soon.

I've invested in a Catloc, which will hopefully be fitted next weekend.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
« Last post by John Ratsey on May 15, 2021, 05:52:38 PM »
Heat pumps need well-insulated homes designed for low temperature heating (ideally under-floor, otherwise oversized radiators) so that the house can be kept warm by tepid water. The hotter the circulating water then the less efficient the heat pump. A few months ago I did some analysis based on using a hybrid system https://www.vaillant.co.uk/specifiers/products/arotherm-hybrid-air-source-heat-pump-53953.html#specification and concluded that I first needed to further improve the insulation (although walls and loft are insultated and windows are already double or triple glazed) and fit bigger radiators in some rooms before considering heat pumps further.

I would note that better insulation and bigger radiators also enable central heating using a gas boiler to be run at a lower temperature which improves the efficiency while thermostatic radiator valves make it easier to have have different rooms at different temperatures. If there is scope to reduce the heat losses from the house then you may find that you can get a new boiler with a lower rating. One annoyance I have with my boiler is that it can't reduce the heat output enough (the minimum is 10kW) to match the heating demand of the house once it has done the initial daily warming up. The result is that the boiler shuts off the heat until the temperature of the circulating water drops by 10C which can be 15 minutes or more which causes significant changes in radiator temperature.

Worcester Bosch and Vaillant are reckoned to be the most reliable brands of gas boilers. Many boilers also support an outside temperature sensor which enables the boiler to adjusting the water temperature to further improve efficiency - hotter water on cold days and warm water on warmer days.

Perhaps you should try to resist moving the boiler until you have spent a winter in the house and have a better understanding of the heating performance. If you get a smart meter producing half hourly consumption data then you'll have a much better understanding of how the gas consumption chances with the weather and even during the day. The smart meter in-home display also lets you see the instantanteous gas (or electricity) consumption.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 10